PDA

View Full Version : air box mod

ram_greygti
11-22-2004, 10:50 AM
how many people here have their airboxes moded and if so how and how does it feel, some people say its better than cai.
ive been thinking about doing some air box mods

thanks

Jake
11-22-2004, 11:10 AM
i took the top off of my box and strapped a cone filter on it, i would say i gained the slightest bit of power, i only did it for the "VVVVVVVPSSHHH" :rolleyes:

Meth0d
11-22-2004, 11:16 AM
kinda new to all the lingo but you mean mod'ing the stock airbox that comes with the car? I took that out and put in a P-flow kit. Sounds nice, didn't notice too much change.

ram_greygti
11-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Well, i read in vortex or vwfixx or some site, people doing holes in the air box or using a dremmel to cut out the inside baffles of the box, do you think its safe enough, like not have a leak or something??

thanks

vtecwho
11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
ok i just took my cai out so i can smog. the only differance i have noticed is no more loud intake sound and a smoother acceleration. it is not as responsive with the box back in. as far as cuttin holes it wont make any differance in performance just make a bunch of noise

stevehayes01
11-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Air box mods and Cone filters are all subject when it comes to adding power (by themselves). I have seen people claim 15HP with just a cone filter! If thats so then I want to see the Dyno chart and the car. HP gains are usually related the the mod is done in conjunction with other mods like exhaust, headers, intercoolers, etc... . I know for the SAAB NG900 and 9-3 theres not a truely good Cone filter setup so most of us pull the stock air box out and modify it by adding a 3" free flow pipe to it instead of the restrictive stock collector it came with. The result is a little more torque in the mid range and a more aggressive sound on take off. As for the idea of dremmeling holes all over your air box well I am not quite sure on that one yet but I have heard of alot of people doing it. I think for the VW and AUDI world you have so many other choices open to you for cold air setups that I would personally look to that first before destroying your stock air box. Just my opinions here! :D

ncttrnl
11-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Actually, there was a guy on the Tex that cut a big hole in his airbox and then routed a hose down to the front of his car in one of the lover front vents.

He actually saw similar gains to a CAI without the cost. Plus it was very stealth. Its not a bad option if you don't want to spend the cash or if you don't want a flashy intake under the hood.

I'll see if I can find the link to his write up when I get home tonight.

edit:

Don't just swiss cheese your airbox. You'll wind up sucking in hot air from the engine bay and negating any potential gains. Also, don't modify the box on the engine side of the filter. That side is pretty good already as the autotech articles have measured and proven.

That reminds me... look for the Autotech article on "Eliminating Negative Boost" on the web... That will help you. There is a very good intake in the TT world that is based almost entirely off this article.

Tiny85Tim
11-22-2004, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=ncttrnl]Actually, there was a guy on the Tex that cut a big hole in his airbox and then routed a hose down to the front of his car in one of the lover front vents.

He actually saw similar gains to a CAI without the cost. Plus it was very stealth. Its not a bad option if you don't want to spend the cash or if you don't want a flashy intake under the hood.

I dont know how many of you know Donnie, but he did the same thing with his car, cutting a hole and running a hose down by the bumper. Worked very well and was planning on doing it to my car!

ram_greygti
11-22-2004, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=ncttrnl]Actually, there was a guy on the Tex that cut a big hole in his airbox and then routed a hose down to the front of his car in one of the lover front vents.

I dont know how many of you know Donnie, but he did the same thing with his car, cutting a hole and running a hose down by the bumper. Worked very well and was planning on doing it to my car!

WHAT KIND OF HOSE DO THEY RUN TO THE FRONT OF THE BUMPER?

18tMiCo
11-22-2004, 02:36 PM
i did the airbox mod like those said above. i thought the "puuushhhhh" sound was too loud with my CAI and DV on, i got annoyed so i decided to do something else. i took pics of all the steps, but unfortunately i lost the pictures during the last crash of my computer..

all i did was went to home depot and got me one of those 3" soft plastic (bendable) pipe that they have over at home depot . then i went home and dremel the airbox opening bigger in order to fit the 3" tube into the airbox..

it surely eliminated the sound but the car didn't feel much different from with a CAI on. i don't have a dynograph for this though, i wish i did.

ram_greygti
11-22-2004, 03:40 PM
sounds good alot better than 200$

i did the airbox mod like those said above. i thought the "puuushhhhh" sound was too loud with my CAI and DV on, i got annoyed so i decided to do something else. i took pics of all the steps, but unfortunately i lost the pictures during the last crash of my computer..

all i did was went to home depot and got me one of those 3" soft plastic (bendable) pipe that they have over at home depot . then i went home and dremel the airbox opening bigger in order to fit the 3" tube into the airbox..

it surely eliminated the sound but the car didn't feel much different from with a CAI on. i don't have a dynograph for this though, i wish i did.

ncttrnl
11-22-2004, 09:24 PM
It took me awhile to find it but here it is

The vortex link to modding the stock airbox. This is actually a pretty clean install and he references the Autospeed article I mentioned as well as the TT intake made by Steve Schwing (TTSchwing)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=666711

ram_greygti
11-22-2004, 10:40 PM
that looks really nice :D :D :tup:

karl
11-23-2004, 12:38 AM
how many people here have their airboxes moded and if so how and how does it feel, some people say its better than cai.
ive been thinking about doing some air box mods

thanks
check this intake out

Induction Intake Kit
By MEMORY

Price (USD): $120

All prices include international shipping to the United States.

Availability: We have most of our stock in Japan and limited stock in the US so please contact us for updated quantity. It takes 1-2 Months shipping by ocean from Japan or 3-5 days by air-shipping.

Please contact us for a shipping estimate if you wish to ship by air.

Description

Designed to enhance throttle response and bring in cold air around the air filter with our patented carbon / abs suction kits. The Carbon / ABS covers keep the hot engine bay air from getting into the intake. Get the carbon look without the carbon price.
# Carbon / ABS covers
# Aluminum piping
# Pointed air filter (re-usable)
# All hardware needed to replace oem intake
# Fits R32, 1.8T, VR6, 1.6

Applications: Golf, Golf 4, MK IV
here's the link
memoryfab (http://www.memoryfab.com/)
http://www.memoryfab.com/item_pics/310.jpg

909dub
11-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I also dod the airbox mod and was satisfied witht he result. I had a CAI and got sick of all the noise. I dremeled out all the ridges out of the bottom of the box, closed off the valve that lets in the hot air from the engine compartment, then used 3" tubing down to a modified lower grill.
It was a clean and stealth mod that just frees up the restricting stock air ducts. :tup:

I used to ahve step by step pictures, but I deleted them recently. :(

GTIRacer956
11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
i just took off the top to my box and have a cone filter bolted to the MAFS and it sits ontop of the bottom portion of my box. I notice a little difference in torque, and in hp, but not much. It has a little lag in low rpms but it helps tremendously on the freeway when passing through people in 5th. It also increased the intake noise drastically. However, I have noticed that i am not getting enough backpressure as a result from increased intake and hi-flow cat-back exhaust. Its still fun as hell though!