PDA

View Full Version : Owning a real firearm (handgun) at the age of 18 in CA?

Rento_VW
06-26-2008, 02:48 AM
EDIT: Just nvm... This crap is bullshit and all this crime shit... Plus, shooting someone who breaks into your house in CA is apparently just as bad as walking up to a random person and shooting them.

TOYr32
06-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Either way you have to be 18 for a rifle or shotgun . . . 21 for a handgun

mike
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Well, you can't own a handgun unless you are 21, you can own a shotgun, which works alright for home defense, better then nothing, but if thats your intent, you need to take a tactile shotgun course, they are around $125 for the day plus about 200 rounds of ammo so you know what you are doing with it, that long barrel gives someone something to grab a hold of in close quarters.

Personally I keep my trusty 1911 loaded with Federal Hydrashoks in the nightstand for home defense.

Yes if you shoot someone in your house you are in trouble, best be a good shot if you know what I mean, dead men tell no tales, god forbid, tell the officers you've done nothing wrong and you would like to talk to a lawyer, you WILL be arrested and charged with murder. After meeting with your attorney and the DA and you inform them that you told the guy you were armed and to stay put while you call the police, he advanced on you, you retreated but feared for your life after he came after you, you were left with no choice, the charges will most likely be dropped and you will be released. This is a terrible thing to have to think about and for a lack of better terms "plan" out, but in this state, it is best to be prepared since you are treated as a criminal for defending your family and home, and you will most likely get sued by the person you shot, or if you took the advise, his next of kin. I'm sure we have a few others that can input on this.

TOYr32
06-26-2008, 08:32 AM
You could always hunt down his next of kin and just kill the family tree!!! :D

Rento_VW
06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah.. after what happened last night, nothing extreme, but it could possibly become something bad... I'm tired of living in this fear that something can always happen at any given time... Total bullshit to have to live like this.

mike
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
maybe you should elaborate a little more on your situation

TOYr32
06-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah.. after what happened last night, nothing extreme, but it could possibly become something bad... I'm tired of living in this fear that something can always happen at any given time... Total bullshit to have to live like this.

Paranoia is never a good reason to buy a gun!

mitssn
06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah please eloborate. Though I live in a great neighborhood with no crime, I am a freak about home and personal security. I have an over the top security system and a pistol by my bed. I'm also thinking about motion activated video cameras.

paultakeda
06-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I must live in a completely different reality, because home invasions with an assailant threatening my life are quite rare. Burglary, robbery, sure. But most such folk have no intent to kill or harm, and I'd rather let them go ahead then collect on the insurance than introduce a kill or be killed scenario that can only end badly for everyone. Seeing as the only time I've been burgled (not robbed) at home was in New Haven, a far more dangerous neighborhood than where I live presently, even that situation goes into the quite rare category.

TOYr32
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I got my wife a tazer . . . the laws aren't nearly as harsh, plus you won't kill anyone on purpose.

And it' fun to take the cartridge out and zap your friends!!

Ohh . . . and they make Leopard Print!!! :D
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/Tonkatoy163/c2_05_logo.jpg

Rento_VW
06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
A tazer gun would be nice...

As for last night... Fine, i'll elaborate... Let's go back a few days beforehand. Also, I will use the term African-American a bit, so just bare with me and note that i'm not being racist in anyway.

My mom has seen a few cars sitting in-front of the house for long periods of times over the past few days. Just one single car or an suv sitting out front. And she's said there would be a few African-Americans sitting in there... Just sitting in the truck/car...

Well... a few days ago, she was coming home and there was an SUV parked across the street that was packed with a bunch of african-americans and she was dumb enough to proceed to pull into the driveway, open the garage, and park inside... With the 300C... 300C's attract people, it's no doubt. Not to mention the Cadillac that sits next to it... On-top of that, the house's appearance isn't very plain per-se.

Anywho... Last night, I was detailing my Corrado and I hear a group of african-americans walking from the wal-mart behind my house and stop on the corner, no problem I guess... Until an SUV pulls up and like 4-5 people get out... Now i'm kinda of weary of the situation so I just slowly detail the back bumper over and over to stay at the entrance of the garage. Than another car pulls up, this time 3-4 people get out.

So now I have about 15-20 people in-front of my house all in white shirts and blue baggy pants. So I say fuck this and act like i'm done and close the garage... By now my mom is freaked to hell and wants to call the cops.

Now, if she would have called the cops, that group out there would have easily figured out it was us and perhaps come back another time and do far more than loiter...

Now this is where it gets weird... 30 mins pass by and they are still out front.. But this time organized in groups... However there are less now, 6. 2 were leaning against my neighbors wall just staring over at out house, 2 were walking up and down the street, and 2 more were standing at the corner... It was as if 4 were being look-outs and 2 were planning on something.

Now after about another 30 mins or so, they left. Probably because they saw the full garage and knew there were people home? I don't know... But tonight is where we'll see if there's a real problem.

mike
06-26-2008, 02:43 PM
sounds shady as hell, not familiar with Hemet, do you have any gang problems???? You aren't going to be able to keep a situation under control with a pool cue or a bat with 15 people, unless your Jet Li, even with a handgun its dicey, for something like that, you need crowd control in the form of an AK47 or AR15, much more imposing, but try keeping that in the night stand. Still, the best home defense weapon as a first line of defense is a large dog.

If you call the cops, unless they are actually doing something wrong, the police will do nothing, however, who calls them is kept secret. It could be anyone on your street.

As far as living in a safe neighborhood, crime, violent or otherwise, can happen anywhere, I would rather err on the side of my own personal safety and be in control of a situation, I wouldn't risk my life for a hunch they are just there for my expensive stuff. My uncle use to live in Venice, his place was broken into and cleaned out, its safer then it use to be, but not that much. In a situation like that when seconds matter, police are only a few minuets away..............

Rento_VW
06-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Shady as hell? dude.. It's more than shady, shit is whack... If they are doing what my dad is speculating and that theya re looking out to see what times we leave and get home. Something is going down...

I can ambush from many areas in my house, taking out 10 would be no prob.. more than that and we got a damned crisis on our hands.

But yeah... In-terms of violence/crime... My friend was mugged the night before, got away with his wallet which had his DL and SS card... luckily he had his credit card out of the wallet and in his pocket... They also stole his MP3 player. These muggings/thievery accounts have been very rampant this past week...

It's the fucking economy's fault... People out here are stealing gas left and right.

Hemet isn't a very financially adept city, and there's a line like Detriot has with 8-mile separating the areas where low-income families run and more middle class families run. But there's also an abundance of mixed income families in the area. Also, the illegal drug problem is also another factor since a lot of that shit is made within the southern Riverside county region, Hemet, San Jacinto, and winchester being up there, all three bordering each other...

I also wonder how the city/state would charge me if I took out a group of people breaking into the house, god forbid...

mike
06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
You can call the police in advance, tell them whats going on, have them step up patrol in your neighborhood, you have a safe? Think about getting an alarm system, extra locks on the windows and doors too. Most people who break into a house are usually 1-2 maybe 3 people.

Rento_VW
06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah.. my line of houses, we're ALWAYS calling the cops.. They've grown to believe it's a problem, they just don't want to do anything. For the past 6, going on 7 years we've lived here we've called the cops about a few hundreds times... that's more than once a month.

Hemet PD is too lazy to have a patrol for a circulcar block of houses, so it's not a probability for them to have a patrol around here... Considering there's a Wal-Mart RIGHT behind my house... they really should have patrols out here hourly at night. But it ain't working. We've even tried to organize a neighborhood watch, but that didn't even work and fell through.

We have a safe.. not big enough... When I think safe, I think of those beautiful gun safes... Now that would be nice..

Ivan
06-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I have 1,000watt
stun gun in my car and have it on me when I get out.

Tested it and that shit will surprise anyone that's not on drugs!

I've been robbed at gun point and yeah, you think
about if you had a gun, there would be many opportunitys
to take it out and shoot that person in the face.

But that's not legal. Might be in your right, but then you'll get arrested for murder
and wait your trail in jail or pay up the ass to get out.

FaLLeNAn9eL
06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Forget the shotgun or handgun, get one of these.

http://www.firstdefense.com/html/3D50.jpg

Paul
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
The correct answer in any self defense shooting, is this.

"I fired because I felt my life was in danger and stopped when the threat was no longer present.."

mike
07-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi Paul!

Paul
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
I got my wife a tazer . . . the laws aren't nearly as harsh, plus you won't kill anyone on purpose.

Interesting design

Monster8V
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Its legal in Texas!

A so-called "castle doctrine" law recently passed in Texas allows people to use deadly force to protect their homes and property. However, a case in which a Houston-area man in his 70's killed two apparent burglars he observed breaking into his neighbor's house has raised new questions about how far that doctrine might extend.

The man called an emergency dispatcher when he first saw the alleged burglars, saying "I've got a shotgun, do you want me to stop them?"

"Nope, don't do that," replied the dispatcher. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, ok? ... I've got officers coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house."

"I understand that," the caller replied, "but I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the 1st, and you know it and I know it."

As I understand the case, hes been ruled as a justified shooting. The burgulars were illegal immagrants from Columbia who, happen to be black as well. Both had previously been deported for drug crimes, plus being illegal.

I wish the laws here were as just.

Monster8V
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM

My sister in law is a deputy in Sacramento. She killed a big guy with her tazer. (Not on purpose but he was drugged up and wouldnt stop and its so easy to hold the trigger down until they stop fighting.) It was ruled justified.

madajb
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
But most such folk have no intent to kill or harm, and I'd rather let them go ahead then collect on the insurance than introduce a kill or be killed scenario that can only end badly for everyone.

I mostly feel the same way.
And honestly, if you want to steal my TV, go ahead, it's insured.
Everything I have that I actually care about is unlikely to attract a thieves attention anyway.
However, if you come into my house while TheWife is home, we're going to have issues.

-ajb

Alan_One
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I mostly feel the same way.
And honestly, if you want to steal my TV, go ahead, it's insured.
Everything I have that I actually care about is unlikely to attract a thieves attention anyway.
However, if you come into my house while TheWife is home, we're going to have issues.

-ajb

- Not a damn thing's changed with the 2 of you. (paulT and Mad) -

Most cities have loitering laws passed to manage gang activities. If you've got a large group that's congregating in front of your house and they aren't neighbors then you should call the police. That's what their job and you are probably not the only person living on your street. Just be safe and don't stick your head out when the cops arrive. If you pull the ole "come out front and watch the cops do their job" you are asking for trouble. If you don't do anything then you're creating opportunity. Opportunity/temptation.

Buying a gun for self defense is a reasonable action.

An emotional purchase of a weapon as a first response is a bad idea.

Let the cops do their job and don't be a lookieloo.

(18 year olds shouldn't own handguns anyway)

TOYr32
07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
- Not a damn thing's changed with the 2 of you. (paulT and Mad) -

Most cities have loitering laws passed to manage gang activities. If you've got a large group that's congregating in front of your house and they aren't neighbors then you should call the police. That's what their job and you are probably not the only person living on your street. Just be safe and don't stick your head out when the cops arrive. If you pull the ole "come out front and watch the cops do their job" you are asking for trouble. If you don't do anything then you're creating opportunity. Opportunity/temptation.

Buying a gun for self defense is a reasonable action.

An emotional purchase of a weapon as a first response is a bad idea.

Let the cops do their job and don't be a lookieloo.

(18 year olds shouldn't own handguns anyway)

18 year olds can't own a handgun. Gotta be drinking age for that :D

THATGUYSPIKE
07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
:bs:Unless the law has change since I lived in California, a 18 year old can not buy a hand gun, but a family member can deed a handgun to a family member 18 years or older. All you would have to do is pay the taxes/fee for the transfer.

THATGUYSPIKE
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Well nothing has changed since the army took me away from California. The law remains the same. Everyone is a "legal expert" these days yet it seems no one ever bothers to actually look things up. Here is the link to the Bureau of Firearms website the has the CORRECT information
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

Line 5 answers your question regarding the legality of an adult under the age of 21 owning a firearm.

Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?

Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/prohibcatmisd.pdf) http://ag.ca.gov/images/pdficon.gif [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) http://ag.ca.gov/images/pdficon.gif [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b) (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php). (PC section 12078(c))

CALL AAA
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Its legal in Texas!

A so-called "castle doctrine" law recently passed in Texas allows people to use deadly force to protect their homes and property. However, a case in which a Houston-area man in his 70's killed two apparent burglars he observed breaking into his neighbor's house has raised new questions about how far that doctrine might extend.

The man called an emergency dispatcher when he first saw the alleged burglars, saying "I've got a shotgun, do you want me to stop them?"

"Nope, don't do that," replied the dispatcher. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, ok? ... I've got officers coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house."

"I understand that," the caller replied, "but I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the 1st, and you know it and I know it."

As I understand the case, hes been ruled as a justified shooting. The burgulars were illegal immagrants from Columbia who, happen to be black as well. Both had previously been deported for drug crimes, plus being illegal.

I wish the laws here were as just.

There was more to that. Texas also has some kind of law that allows you to protect your neighbor's house, and then protect yourself in the case of bodily harm. It's pretty crazy, when you comare it to the laws in CA.

As for the 18 y/o thing, I feel bad for a kid who, right out of boot camp, does a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan, where he carries and uses a 9mm/M240/SAW/.50 Cal for 9 months, but then comes home to violence in his city and can't do shit about it because he can't own a gun. That would suck!

mitssn
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I would really recommend an alarm system for your house. Don't go to ADT, Brinks, etc becasue they are a rip off. Not only do they rape you on the monitoring fee and charge you for the install, but they actually put in the contract that THEY own the hardware so if you EVER cancel monitoring, they will come remove the stuff from your house!!

Most local alarm companies give you the entire alarm system and install it for free if you sign a 2 year contract with a monitoring company. The monitoring company actually pays for the hardware and the install. My monitoring is only $34 a month and my wife and I feel a whole lot safer becasue of it.

The whole thing installed cost me $100 for an extra motion sensor.

Paul
07-03-2008, 02:55 PM
The firearm only comes into play if you know there's someone there.

Alarm = notification
Firearm = tool to defend yourself

mitssn
07-03-2008, 03:35 PM
The firearm only comes into play if you know there's someone there.

Alarm = notification
Firearm = tool to defend yourself

But he was worried about someone breaking in while they were gone...

BexSoCal
07-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Forget the shotgun or handgun, get one of these.

http://www.firstdefense.com/html/3D50.jpg

That's too small. You should get one of these...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q160/BexSoCal/Mir/BeccaBarrett-2.jpg

mike
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
when are we taking THAT to a range day?????

DTolo
07-12-2008, 10:48 PM
my .02...

I've lived in some sheisty areas to say the least.

My first question... V2... Have you ever gone out and tried just sayin' "what's up?" Not in a provocative way, but in a chill way. Like genuinely just seein' what's up with the new people in the neighborhood. Even if they were "plotting" something, making a connection with the guys will emphasis on the natural human instinct to not do harm on another. If they don't know you, you are a dehumanized target (assuming they think of your house as a target). If the person knows you, even a little, it adds something to the dynamics of it all.

I would hate to say it, but there is a very likely chance, that in them hanging in front of your house is a coincidence to whatever their actual agenda is. It seems like you are putting 2 and 2 together, but your connections seem about as solid as swiss cheese.

I am not dismissing some of the good advice that has been given in regards to home and self defense. However, It does seem that the assumption that the need for home/self defense in the means of possible deadly force has been jumped to too quick.

Here is an example of just being human, and not living in chaos and fear. Living in fear causes illegitamite assumptions that are commonly unfounded:

I worked at a 24hr gas station and mini mart deal. I actually managed the place. It was in a shit hole part of town in Portland, Or. Yeah, not many would think anything "ghetto" could come from it, but ask some of the SCE members that are there now, about North Portland, specifically the N. Lombard and Interstate intersection area. Anyhow, every establishment next door, across the street, and down the street had been robbed at gun point over a 60 day period. My store was never bothered. Why do I think that was? Because I knew people in the area... I had a lot of good friends in that area. My store wasn't just a target, rather people knew us, knew me. It is harder to do something sheisty when it will negatively affect someone you know.

And the final thing, I have to say...

V2_ you saying "Afro-Americans" and not "black guys" tells me that you are already questioning if your judgment in the situation has been effected by race. If that thought never crossed ur mind, you wouldn't have had any problems just saying "black guys" and not giving a disclaimer in the first place. Or even more so, a group of people is a group of people, regardless of anything else.

Final thoughts... if you were to get a gun right now, I'd say don't. Purchasing a firearm should never be a result of a reaction.

EDM
07-13-2008, 07:29 AM
when are we taking THAT to a range day?????

+1 :tup2:

Monster8V
07-13-2008, 10:36 AM
That's too small. You should get one of these...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q160/BexSoCal/Mir/BeccaBarrett-2.jpg

When did you get a Barrett 107?

lordoftheblings
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
those have got to either be the stupidest criminals or you guys re way over reacting. Who gathers 10-15 outdoors during the day to scope out properties. I mean really.

This is a issue where (gasp!) im going to agree with Shawn. You enter my home and threaten its safety and the sanctuary of my family. You're taking a slug. I think peopel should have the right to own firearms that protect their families within reason. No need for a .50 cal Barrett. But, I do see the governments intrusion onto the constitution as a declaration of war against it's citizens. Maybe it'll taken 3 decades but it's going to start happening if we don't wake the fuck up.

But then again, i'll probably just get called a conspiracy nut and someone will just try and use zeitgeist against me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_Prosperity_Partnership_of_North_Ameri ca

http://www.spp-psp.gc.ca/menu-en.aspx --canadian page discussing it

http://www.spp.gov/factsheet.asp -- doesn't exist, yet there is a .gov page about it.

http://www.spp.gov/security_agenda/index.asp?dName=security_agenda -- This is how it ties into the FISA Amendment.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/03/20050323-1.html -- more government information about it.

security does not equal prosperity.