PDA

View Full Version : Critical Mass

castel
09-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Attended this past Friday - It was lots of fun really easy pace for anyone.

I saw a few SCE peeps, anyone else going this Month?

gest24
09-01-2008, 07:29 PM
No helmets, no required head lamps, blocking traffic... Not the type of riding I'm into. Much safer riding the coast in the day time with the proper equipment on.

castel
09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
No helmets, no required head lamps, blocking traffic... Not the type of riding I'm into. Much safer riding the coast in the day time with the proper equipment on.

Helmets is optional, and everyone riding has at least one form of lighting.

Some ppl might not agree with CM, But with 1500 riders lighting the way and a cop on the tail I don't know how much safer do you want it to be?

Yea there were a couple agitated drivers but that was about it. But its well worth it for one night the whole street is for riders.

At least give it a try meng.:tup:

BLACK 1.8T
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I rode my Subrosa for Critical Mass last Friday. It was really fun, but not being able to pedal while sitting down sucked badly. For September's Critical Mass, I'll be riding my new SE Draft single-speed road bike.

ncttrnl
09-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Helmets is optional, and everyone riding has at least one form of lighting.

Some ppl might not agree with CM, But with 1500 riders lighting the way and a cop on the tail I don't know how much safer do you want it to be?

Yea there were a couple agitated drivers but that was about it. But its well worth it for one night the whole street is for riders.

At least give it a try meng.:tup:

We were actually among the agitated drivers. We went to the Reuben H Fleet that night. Later, we got stuck in Hillcrest while the intersections were being blocked by the massers.

xoutofstepx
09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
The point of Critical Mass is to take up one lane, not the whole street. I have no problem with it as long as everyone is following the laws. You're not going to get your point across if you ride around pissing drivers/people off. ;)

gest24
09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
And again, HELMETS. If you think your to cool to wear a dome piece, you will find out quickly after your first crash how valuable they are.

Kelly Girl
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
anyone joined the Nite Riddahs?

they do these epic night rides in LA...

Mr. Nobody
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I was there for the first half of CM this past Friday. If you only saw a few agitated drivers than you weren't paying attention. There were tons of pissed drivers and pedestrians that had every right to be upset. Many of the cyclists (not all) were being complete arrogant assholes and acting like they owned the place. The general public was not pleased, hell, I even saw people throwing watre baloons from a balcony and saying things along the lines of CM is BS.

Yeah, I may go to the next one, but I plan to stay behind and chill at the fountain. I see no good coming out of CM in SD. It is gotten to big of a monster to gain and hold any sort of positive influence in our community.

gest24
09-02-2008, 03:30 PM
it's not like SD is a terrible place to ride. I personally feel safer riding along the PCH than I did on most roads back in PA. CM here in SD just seems like an excuse for the "cool" kids to ride at night and act like asshats.

Mr. Nobody
09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
CM here in SD just seems like an excuse for the "cool" kids to ride at night and act like asshats.

Where is the "you hit it square on the nose" smilie?

rabb1.8t
12-20-2008, 09:31 PM
I rode my Subrosa for Critical Mass last Friday. It was really fun, but not being able to pedal while sitting down sucked badly. For September's Critical Mass, I'll be riding my new SE Draft single-speed road bike.

subrosa fixie?

PhätTony
12-20-2008, 10:07 PM
it's not like SD is a terrible place to ride. I personally feel safer riding along the PCH than I did on most roads back in PA. CM here in SD just seems like an excuse for the "cool" kids to ride at night and act like asshats.

I feel safer in the 'so called' worst part of SD, rather than anywhere in L.A. especially at night. You got babies on corners sellin weed at 4 in the mornin! Go home, baby!

rabb1.8t
01-04-2009, 05:39 AM
critical mass is so funny. i only road it in its entirety once. i saw 2 hipster mobs act tough. first was when i was riding brakeless bmx passing all the fixies riding slow down washington ave. got to the bottom of the hill and cars/ bikes where jammed up. couple guys where trying to open doors to cars to fight but stopped when their ducktales got out of style. then 2 hipsters decided to cut off a ghetto car and got punked by one dude with a shaved head. i got caught by him laughing and he asked why do you even do this? i said to watch this shit happen. he saw i wasnt in the trixie scene and let me go. first and last ride but i go to the fountain and people watch still, its great.

CALL AAA
01-04-2009, 12:16 PM
critical mass is so funny. i only road it in its entirety once. i saw 2 hipster mobs act tough. first was when i was riding brakeless bmx passing all the fixies riding slow down washington ave. got to the bottom of the hill and cars/ bikes where jammed up. couple guys where trying to open doors to cars to fight but stopped when their ducktales got out of style. then 2 hipsters decided to cut off a ghetto car and got punked by one dude with a shaved head. i got caught by him laughing and he asked why do you even do this? i said to watch this shit happen. he saw i wasnt in the trixie scene and let me go. first and last ride but i go to the fountain and people watch still, its great.

Sounds like fun. :rolleyes:

FunkTron
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
what is the point? or the proposed point?

lordoftheblings
01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
the point is to be seen with all the other raw denim, nike dunk, karmaloop clowns. Fixed gears in a town with hills and excessive traffic is fucking dumb. Let them all get hit and beat the fuck up for acting like asses.

I dont care though, my bikes have travel and get ridden where its fun and not where its cool.

fixed gears are the new rollerblades.

CALL AAA
01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I think the point was to bring awareness of bikes to drivers in a city setting. It probably started with responsible drivers doing responsible things. But then the asshats joined in. I haven't done it, but I'll bet that a huge percentage of them don't even know what CM is all about. It's just an excuse to ride at night. I remember reading some bad stuff about CMs in other cities. (Budapest, maybe?) Deaths, fights, people getting run over. Somehow, I don't think thatt's what the the fathers of Critical Mass wanted.

One of these days, I'm going to get out and do a night MTB ride with Scott and friends. That looks like a good time.

jr_scheiBe
01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
fixed gears are the new rollerblades.

points for that one!! :D

lordoftheblings
01-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I just hiked Telonic's and mobbed down it. That fucking run is scary and to know Brian Lopes did it in like 2 minutes and some change.

not lopes, but Telonics
YouTube - 2008 Leaping Lizard Telonics Shidan Race 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37nZpBKGSSo)

gest24
01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
One of these days, I'm going to get out and do a night MTB ride with Scott and friends. That looks like a good time.

We have spare light Tony...