PDA

View Full Version : Bike ride snacks?

Mr. Nobody
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I am doing bike the bay this Sunday. I know we got some serious bike nerds here so I ask for some of your knowledge.

What are some snacks you can recomend for my ride. I figure I am going to need some nutrition somewhere along the ride but I don't want anything that may make me nauseous or have no real nutritional value.

Gu, Clif, bananas, electrolytes, whatever, let me know what you think I should carry.

Thanks for your help.

RavinJetta
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
How long a ride are you going on?

Neccros
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
PB&J is good and Clif Bars or Clif Bloks and high quality H2O

bugzy
09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
i usually bring a pack of

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/apg_twinkie_070918_ms.jpg

ncttrnl
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I carry Clif Shot Bloks just in case and I drink Gu2O. I usually pack a Clif Bar for longer rides but I don't eat it all at once. I'll take a bite or two at a stop and then keep going. Sports drink you should be sipping along your ride to keep you hydrated.

Just remember you are looking to keep yourself fueled and hydrated. Only try to put in what you've taken out. If you consume more than you need, you'll wind up hurting.

I only fill one of my bottles with sports drink in case I need plain water for rinsing something or to spray myself. Really, if the ride isn't too long or you are eating things like Shot Bloks or gels, water is fine for both bottles.

Mr. Nobody
09-06-2008, 01:05 AM
It's a quick 25 mile ride. I am not planning on brinign a cooler, but I figure it is a good idea to have something.

I think I may have to go get a clif bar and some shot bloks and that should do it. It's not to long a ride, but I just want something to keep me from being destroyed at the end.

xoutofstepx
09-06-2008, 02:05 AM
You should be alright on a 25 mile ride. I went on a 45 mile ride not too long ago and I didn't get too destroyed. Get some peanut butter filled pretzels. :) Very tasty and they might give you some energy. Eat those and drink water.

gest24
09-06-2008, 08:12 AM
For a ride that long I usually bring 2 water bottles with just water, and maybe a Gu Gel.

RavinJetta
09-06-2008, 10:15 AM
25 miles I just bring liquids. Usually Gatorade because it has electolytes :)

lordoftheblings
09-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Well since I mtn bike it's probably a little different than road biking. But i'll usually have my camelback with a mixture of 35-50% Powdered LOW sugar sports drink (bought from bike shop) then the rest is either smart water or Fiji.

Inaddition to that i usually bring 1-3 Hammer Gels. Just in-case. No big rush and no crash this way.

MrFast4Ward
09-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I always carry a couple powerbar gel pouches just in case http://www.powerbar.com/Products/PowerGel/

Before the ride I always eat a PB and banana sandwich.

Water is a must regardless of the length of the ride.

GTIcrazy
10-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Be careful with the gels. Try them out before relying on them for a big ride. Some will agree with you...some might not...

SoCal_GLI
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
little chocolate doughnuts

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

TOYr32
10-02-2008, 09:06 AM
My friend likes to eat lemon heads and hard candy while biking . . . he says it makes all the water he drinks taste better. I'd be afraid to choke though!