PDA

View Full Version : First ride on new bike... almost hit!

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 03:33 PM
So I rode my sweet new bike to the dentist today. It's only about 2 miles each way, but on really busy streets (Black Mountain Road and Mira Mesa Blvd). So I rode there no problems. Rode back no problems. Although, riding down Black Mountain Rd at full speed without a helmet was fun and scary at the same time (I'm getting a helmet soon, btw, so don't judge me).

So I go there and back no problems. I'm slowly riding through my condo complex. I go up this little hill in the parking lot and I think to myself, "What's the probability one of these cars is going to back out in the middle of the day?" The people in my complex NEVER leave during the day.

And then all of a sudden a mini van starts to back out of a guest spot. The dude doesn't even see me. So I stop just short of the van and he keeps backing out and never even sees me! His passenger finally sees me AFTER they back out all the way. I mouth "YOU ALMOST HIT ME" to the passenger. She rolls down the window, and I tell her "You almost hit me". Then the guy says "Sorry, I didn't know".

Weak excuse.

So moral of the story, don't trust parked cars.

Thanks for reading and peeping my new ride.

http://oldskoolcycles.com/images/08Fury24Green.gif

Kelly Girl
11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Girl, you need an airhorn -- nice bike!

Streamline
11-14-2008, 03:53 PM
No, you need:
http://www.beachbikes.net/images/products/secondary/372.jpg

PhätTony
11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Streamers and a basket too yo!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2670941085_7c9b7c5ca4.jpg?v=0

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Haha, my sister has a Hello Kitty bike bell on her mountain bike.

I think the first mod I'm getting are pegs for some rail sliding.

IfYouSeeKay
11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
My Buddy and I have these.... they are fucking amazing:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GJYWKJ7PL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Amazon.com: Delta Airzound Bike Horn: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn/dp/B000ACAMJC)

Basically you fill the little airbottle with a bike pump... and its like a small truckers horn. SUPER loud.. worth the 25 bucks..

IfYouSeeKay
11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
OH and its adjustable too..

Kelly Girl
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn/dp/B000ACAMJC

Basically you fill the little airbottle with a bike pump... and its like a small truckers horn. SUPER loud.. worth the 25 bucks..

this is my bike:
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/folding-bikes/images/dahon/hammerhead5_z.jpg

and this is my bike bell:

http://www.reich-cycle-bells.de/en/bilder/100712.jpg
it's actually about the size of a hamburger and LOUD as f*ck

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn/dp/B000ACAMJC

Dude, that thing is UGLY. I think I'll take my chances... I have a really loud voice (ask my softball teammates).

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 04:20 PM
this is my bike:
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/folding-bikes/images/dahon/hammerhead5_z.jpg

Kelly, I am totally supportive of your bike company, but wowzers the bikes are WEIRD!

Kelly Girl
11-14-2008, 04:24 PM
it's a european road bike.. diamond frame w/20" wheels.. excellent for shorties like me

lol, i get alot of wierd looks on the bike trail.. but there are only 2 of these orange ones in the whole US.. woot

oc-audica
11-14-2008, 04:27 PM
you can ring my bellll eelll ellll ring my bell!

/carry on

Ivan
11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Why didn't you yell?
"HEEY!"

chris
11-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Cool new bike Jonelle. Will you be taking it to Miramar Lake or will you still be running the lake?

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Why didn't you yell?
"HEEY!"

Yeah, I thought about yelling but I figured I'd be more of a smart ass and make them feel bad.

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Cool new bike Jonelle. Will you be taking it to Miramar Lake or will you still be running the lake?

Great question. I haven't been running much lately *sigh*. I'll probably stick to running Miramar unless Rob is participating, then we'll ride. I hope to ride for errands and transportation, as well as fun, not really fitness since it's a single speed.

Dude, I keep looking at the picture of the bike because it's so smokin' hot.

chris
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Great question. I haven't been running much lately *sigh*. I'll probably stick to running Miramar unless Rob is participating, then we'll ride. I hope to ride for errands and transportation, as well as fun, not really fitness since it's a single speed.

Dude, I keep looking at the picture of the bike because it's so smokin' hot.

I wouldn't go as far as sayin' it looks hot, but bikes are sure are fun to get around on. We've been riding more out here as well..especially since little Shelby is finally off of training wheels :tup:

GTiGirl
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Dude, it took me almost a year to finally find a bike I liked to look at - and I wasn't even shopping for a bike! I went to Sports Chalet to get a softball bat, but the one I wanted was more expensive than the bike, so I went for the bike. I think I'll ask Santa for the new softball bat.

chris
11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Dude, it took me almost a year to finally find a bike I liked to look at - and I wasn't even shopping for a bike! I went to Sports Chalet to get a softball bat, but the one I wanted was more expensive than the bike, so I went for the bike. I think I'll ask Santa for the new softball bat.

Why did it take so long to find a bike..what was your criteria for choosing? I just like the rugged type bikes and don't really care too much for weight.

audiracer2002
11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Dude. She was picky.

chris
11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Dude. She was picky.

Haha..Did you have to go shopping a bunch of times with her looking for the perfect match?

You off early anyday next week to chill out?

audiracer2002
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I tried to help her find the right bike. I found mine easy enough.

As for next week, I didn't have anything planned by I can see how the week is looking on Monday and plan something, or be sick or something. What days you thinking? Just give me a call. I gotta bounce and go to dinner.

GTiGirl
11-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Haha..Did you have to go shopping a bunch of times with her looking for the perfect match?

Well, let's just say we went to every bike store in Clairemont, Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa and Poway. We looked online. It was just really hard because I would find something I liked, but one little thing would bother me, like the color or the decals or the price. Another problem was that needed to be able to lift it over my head on my own (to store in the garage).

So finally when I stopped looking, I found it!

Have fun playing hookie this week...

super b5.5
11-16-2008, 09:42 PM
So I rode my sweet new bike to the dentist today. It's only about 2 miles each way, but on really busy streets (Black Mountain Road and Mira Mesa Blvd). So I rode there no problems. Rode back no problems. Although, riding down Black Mountain Rd at full speed without a helmet was fun and scary at the same time (I'm getting a helmet soon, btw, so don't judge me).

So I go there and back no problems. I'm slowly riding through my condo complex. I go up this little hill in the parking lot and I think to myself, "What's the probability one of these cars is going to back out in the middle of the day?" The people in my complex NEVER leave during the day.

And then all of a sudden a mini van starts to back out of a guest spot. The dude doesn't even see me. So I stop just short of the van and he keeps backing out and never even sees me! His passenger finally sees me AFTER they back out all the way. I mouth "YOU ALMOST HIT ME" to the passenger. She rolls down the window, and I tell her "You almost hit me". Then the guy says "Sorry, I didn't know".

Weak excuse.

So moral of the story, don't trust parked cars.

Thanks for reading and peeping my new ride.

http://oldskoolcycles.com/images/08Fury24Green.gif

is that a dk cruiser?

GTiGirl
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
is that a dk cruiser?

Yeppers! 24" DK Fury. Pure sweetsauce.

daygoVR6
11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
kick ass your on a cruiser - you going to race it or just commute with it?

jr_scheiBe
11-19-2008, 11:37 AM
i just use carbon fiber shoes and kick the door....that usually wakes ppl up.

its amazing how ppl are so blind to bikes and motorcyclists. I guess once you cross over you start looking for the other riders and understand stopping distances...etc.

haven't had any close calls yet on the bike (knock on wood) but there have been a few out running.

Streamline
11-19-2008, 01:26 PM
i just use carbon fiber shoes and kick the door....that usually wakes ppl up.

its amazing how ppl are so blind to bikes and motorcyclists. I guess once you cross over you start looking for the other riders and understand stopping distances...etc.

haven't had any close calls yet on the bike (knock on wood) but there have been a few out running.

Ever since my brother started riding (motorcycle) I look out and watch for other riders much more then I used to.

9otpwnd
11-19-2008, 01:30 PM
nice whip

GTiGirl
11-19-2008, 02:27 PM
kick ass your on a cruiser - you going to race it or just commute with it?

Dude, commute = race.

But from the fierce lactic acid burn in my thighs and hammies when I ride, I doubt I'll be racing anyone except pedestrians. I'll be concentrating on riding for fun and for errands around town.

chris
11-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Have fun playing hookie this week...

Hey...how'd you I was planning on playing hookie? :p

I'll probably be over tomorrow if he has time off.

chris
11-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Just don't be like this guy while riding to work one day :p

http://notsomotivational.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/th_situations.jpg

daygoVR6
11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Dude, commute = race.

But from the fierce lactic acid burn in my thighs and hammies when I ride, I doubt I'll be racing anyone except pedestrians. I'll be concentrating on riding for fun and for errands around town.

haha nice, if you ever want to lighten it up let me know....ill probably see you around town im usually on one of my skateboards bombing hills ....just dont run me over :D

GTiGirl
11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey...how'd you I was planning on playing hookie?

I'll probably be over tomorrow if he has time off.

Young jedi, I am all knowing... ;)

Just don't be like this guy while riding to work one day

I doubt I'll ever ride 12 miles to work on a single speed. That would just be silly!

haha nice, if you ever want to lighten it up let me know....ill probably see you around town im usually on one of my skateboards bombing hills ....just dont run me over

It's actually quite light already. I don't have any problems lifting it over my head, which puts it probably in the low-mid 20 lbs mark. We should do a bike/skate gtg sometime. I'll wear my Vans :)

daygoVR6
11-20-2008, 09:12 PM
i think the DK is around 18.5 -19lbs popular as hell with alot of people too the cruiser and their 20"

Get_the_van
11-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Nice color.

Looks like the karate kids bike.

protijy337
12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Weak excuse.

tell me about it I have been commuting alot to RB from Mission Bay (I fill the MKII up about 1x a month now)

and I prob have a near miss daily :( I ride defensively and almost expect people to do their worst and they usually do.

My fav is the swoop and squat..... They pass you then jam the brakes to take a right.... like they didn't just see you when they drove around you...... I kicked someone's rear bumper last week :mad: let my anger get the best of me :(

Back in the day I had a free agent 24" cruiser that I bike couriered on in Boston and back in those days I punched and kicked my fare share of cars :) I got hit but 2 cars and ran into the back of a UPS truck that was double parked after another ass hat cut me off and sent me straight into the truck!

Just remember don't run lights or stop signs and always expect people to be dicks and you will be ok :)

GTiGirl
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Dang, commute from Mission Bay to RB? You must have legs of steel!!!

You are right though, I pretty much expect drivers to do the most un-bike-friendly maneuvers and they usually do. It's amazing how people just don't give a shit. And what's worst, is that they do it with judgement, like "how dare they ride a bike on the street". Freaking silly. I have been reading up on some bike blogs and such and the bike movement really has a tough battle. San Diego especially was built for the car industry.

One of these days I'll be brave enough to kick cars, but until I have a helmet, I think I'll wait.

ncttrnl
12-02-2008, 11:15 AM
You'll notice it depends on the part of town you are in whether the drivers are more or less bike friendly. In some areas, they are overly courteous and will hold up traffic to let you go by. In other areas, they act like you aren't even there or worse that you shouldn't be there.

I look at roads in a whole different way since I've been riding. I'm more aware of blind turns and bad intersections. When I'm on the bike, I try not to be in dangerous sections for too long. I crank up the speed to get out of areas where cars can't see me or where I don't have much room to maneuver.

I'm pretty sure Scott does have legs of steel. He's dead on about obeying the traffic laws and assuming people are gonna be bastards. You have to be really defensive.

jr_scheiBe
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah I was doing laps on fiesta island and had some dick pass me (I was holding 25mph in aero) in a corner and then merge over driving me off the road into the sand. Chased him down and proceeded to tell him what I thought. He said hes a cyclist also and give us plenty of room...apparently he forgot that I can hold the speed limit and needs to treat me like a car before he merges over.

fuckin asshat.

protijy337
12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
He said hes a cyclist also and give us plenty of room...

hahahahh if he was a cyclist that rides on a regular basis you never would have had an issue with him......

SD is actually really really good as far as bikes, lots of bike lanes paths ect ect you should see the east coast when roads where paths that were later paved and the infrastructure is hundreds of years old... the drivers.... they suck no matter where you go :)

But the big thing I see out here is hit and runs :( scary :(

ncttrnl
12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
hahahahh if he was a cyclist that rides on a regular basis you never would have had an issue with him......

I was thinking the same thing. Why the hell would a cyclist cut another cyclist off?

rabb1.8t
12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Haha, my sister has a Hello Kitty bike bell on her mountain bike.

I think the first mod I'm getting are pegs for some rail sliding.

get your pegs learn some grinders... plenty in mira mesa

GTiGirl
12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
get your pegs learn some grinders... plenty in mira mesa

I'm totally down - also need a helmet. While I try to act like a 13-year old, I still have to make it to work in the AM! Hahahaha!

I also need a vagina-friendly bike seat.

rabb1.8t
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
my roomate and advid cyclist works at black mountain bikes. he could hook you up. are you in the mira mesa area?

GTiGirl
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
my roomate and advid cyclist works at black mountain bikes. he could hook you up. are you in the mira mesa area?

Score dude, what's his name? I live in SE Mira Mesa. The story in this thread: the dentist that I went to is across the street from Black Mountain Bikes. In the Wendys/Santana's shopping center!

rabb1.8t
12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
i know everybody in there but my roomates name is francisco

GTiGirl
12-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Awesome blossom - I'll definitely ask for him when I cruise up there for some gear. Shopping list: helmet, saddle, pegs.