PDA

View Full Version : The CPSC is going to hit the BMX industry HARD....

daygoVR6
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Anyone that has some sort of connection within the action sports world has probably heard that as of Feburary 9th 2009 all products imported from over seas that are deemed as toys will need to be tested for lead ....the CPSC has deemed bicycles with a wheel size of 24" or smaller as a "toy" - Mountian Bike and Road Bikes dont fall in this catagory since they typically use a 26" wheel...yet be prepared for rising costs on parts to offset the price of testing

I work within the BMX industry and I am on standby to see just what all our response will be at my company.....within this law there is also mention of clothing that is imported from overseas....

Here is a better generalization of what is happening - post taken from vintageBMX.com .....anyone out there that rides bikes, has parents that ride bikes , some of us are old enough to have kids that might get into BMX eventually need a heads up -

Here's the jist of what is going on now for BMX "toy" companies.

As of Nov. 12, nothing shipped after that date can come into the US without proper 3rd party testing for lead, lead content, and phalates and the certified documnents needed to get through customs at port. This includes complete bikes, frames, and all parts with intended us for any bike 24" and under. The fees for testing are expensive unless you're testing a large volume of parts or bikes and can ammortorize those costs across the board. If you offer a part or bike in different color options, each color must legally be tested. Of course all companies can decide if they want to comply and pay for the testing but it will ultimately begin to affect costs and pricing of products unless the company is making a ton of parts that are getting sold, or the company has a really large petty cash stash. It's been my experience that most BMX companies operate on a pretty defined and tight budget to insure longevity and growth. And the kicker is that you have to conduct testing each time you import product from now on, regardless if it's the exact same product you imported 2 months earlier.

You have until Feb. 9th to sell all your untested products to the consumer (enduser), not just to the bike shops, or on Feb. 10th it becomes illegal for shops or distributors to sell these products without the proper certificate. The fines for this and for trying to import goods into the US without the certificates is in the hundred of thousands.

Companies that haven't tested and received the proper certificates legally have to take any untested product back and refund monies to the dealers or distributors as it is illegal for them to be sold after Feb. 9. This is why Feb 10 is being called National Bankruptcy Day because they have to take back ALL untested product from retailers and distributors and supply refunds even if that product is 10 years old. If the retailer (although highly unlikely Joe's Local Bike Shop would get caught) is caught trying to sell untested goods, the shop will be fined by the CPSC (fines in the hundred of thousands. Which obviously the shop will then turn around and sue the manufacturer for failure to test and likely the company is already been fined as well. You can see how it can get ugly real fast if you don't have the proper test certificates. And the rumors I hear about companies ready to rat out others on Feb 10 is really unsettling

What we're likely to see as BMXer's is that the big companies can probably offset the large testing expenses as their volume is large enough to ammortorize. We'll likely see some price increases from them but they'll still be around. It will hit the small bike and part companies the hardest as the test fees are extensive and companies will have to decide for themselves if they can afford to pay and continue to stay in business. Where the money for this testing comes from and if it's effect on pricing will likely push some of those companies out of the market. With Kuwahara, based on our current growth rate in terms of volume, and projected sales for 09, we were looking at 125% price increases. With the economy and all things considered, $1800 to $2000 complete bikes probably aren't going to sell to well. That was our sad reality and our situation will force us to become a frame only distributor for 09.

I hope the other companies in the BMX world don't have to suffer the same fate as Kuwahara and it will be each companies decision if they choose to comply with the new test laws forced on us as "toy" manufactures.

Hope this rambling simplified the "legal mumbo jumbo" that I've been forced to try to learn these past couple of months. Oh, and the same testing will soon be required for bikes and bike parts made in the US as well.

sandiegobmx
12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Where do you work?

There is a lot of talk from different companies, but also a lot of ways around the new requirements. Companies with eight different colors and six different anodizes are definitely stressing, though. The days of obscenely bright bikes (at least straight out of the box) are probably over.

daygoVR6
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
ya probably ...its going to be intresting to see how the industry handles it...im just glad of all the work i do between motorsports and this job I can fall back on industrial pipe fitting if it comes down to it ....maybe ill just move to alaska next....

sandiegobmx
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Soooo, where do you work?

daygoVR6
12-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Avent Cycles ...Bombshell Parts Inc.

company link in sig

9otpwnd
12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah i read about this a few weeks back

lordoftheblings
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Here's my suggestion. Build in the good old USA like we use to do, run smarter businesses, and be proud of the products you produce.

SYNYSTAGLI
12-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Here's my suggestion. Build in the good old USA like we use to do, run smarter businesses, and be proud of the products you produce.

No shit! hell they even have American flags made in fking China??? WTF?

lordoftheblings
12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
not only that but at one point made in state sponsored prisons containing dissonants who spoke again the communist regime.

Hows that for fucked up. Political prisoners of other countries made of flag of freedom so that we can make exceptional profit margins.

daygoVR6
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
this effects items built in the USA as well

lordoftheblings
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
of course, but QC is much easier when you produce here. We all know how the chinese love cutting corners and ripping people off. Think Callaway.

Kelly Girl
12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
hey Brad.. we got the same news at my office too...

the only real issue should be with your brake cables.. unless you know of other components on your bikes, that may contain lead

daygoVR6
01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
hey Brad.. we got the same news at my office too...

the only real issue should be with your brake cables.. unless you know of other components on your bikes, that may contain lead

nipples, spokes, brake cables, and the brass end fitting on brake cables, from what I have heard certian brands of cranks, brake handle levers, and rims / hubs from certin compaines that have product manufactured over seas

complete bikes have to have each individual piece tested not just specific items with every run of the product that is produced and each time you have to pay for testing, now break it down in dollars - it cost around 300-1000 for each item to be tested depending on size from what I looked up, so when you guys do a run of say 50 bikes and have 5 different colors on each bike you offer well there 5 bikes right there that need to go to testing - this doesnt include different frame sizes, so figure you guys have a small, meduim, large....so now within each size..each color has to be tested - theres 15 bikes out of a production run you just lost to testing and each individual component needs to be tested on each one of those bikes ....see where the dollars add up even if it were 50 bucks each individual item how many nuts bolts, individual components do you guys have on those bikes - oh and thats just your January production run - you have to do it all over again on the next production run ....hymm somone out there is going to become extremely wealthy from all this testing - and intresting how there is only 1 -2 actual federally certified locations in the US to do the testing ....theres obviously some goverment people getting kick backs from all this

This testing applies to individual parts sold as well i.e. cranks, wheel sets, sprokets, cogs, pedals, so on my end of the spectrum the BMX industry which sells individual components as well as completes now has to have those items tested as well before they are allowed to hit the shelves.....

Ive already heard of some other very well known large bike companies out there purposely calling the CPSC and turning in other compaines out there to try to hurt the competiton or at least delay them a bit in make it harder for them to get product out on the market ...i.e. person goes out and trying to get a new BMX bike from Brand H but there are none in the local stores becuase brand G called the CPSC and turned them in to create a product release delay and customers are then forced to buy brand G's product cuase thats all thats available......its pretty bad what I have read on the BMX forums

it will be intresting to see how the next 3-6 months play out on my end of the industry and see who is left at interbike this year

hey KG wait till stores that carry your compaines products start calling up and saying they want to return product that is sitting on the self (think of unsold items that are say 6 months old due to bad economy) because they dont have the required tags required by the CPSC to sell the product to the public - so now if your company tries to say no way to taking back old product all a pissed off account has to do is call the CPSC and guess who comes and shuts you down in a matter of a week because you wont take back product - this is going to efff everyone at the sign of the first few stores that get fined for having the products on the self that dont have the correct tags - think domino effect

im glad i have a heavy background in other industries but even those are slim to nill right now

Kelly Girl
01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
well fortunately for my Co., the brake cables are the only questionable item (so far)
we only have 26 models so we're prolly gonna be just fine if we're tested.

and as for LEAD PARANOIA
christmas lights contain lead, but I still buy them
fine crystal contains harmful levels of lead, but stores still sell them (my Riedels are killing me i'm sure)

mostly it just depends on what company is manufacturing your components, and with Shimano controlling __% of the component manufacturing, we shall wait and see

but so far:http://www.cpsc.gov/cgi-bin/prod.aspx
so good

bugzy
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
i went to Armani Exchange today ... wtf ... everything there's made in China !!
went to Nordstroms, almost everything i saw there was made in China

.... wow !! crazy ...
personally, i dont care where something is made ... as long as the people managing the company puts proper measures in place to make sure their products are good and meet public safety

but damn, sometimes i think its crazy how many businesses has decided to move manufacturing overseas

you might be right about cutting corners, but its not the chinese fault, after all they are getting paid pennies

if you want to blame people, blame the people who let them cut corners ... after all, the business who contracted the chinese manufactures went from factory to store shelves ... its still under their control to make those decisions.

Kelly Girl
01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Lon, exactly... :tup:

the CPSC hasn't issued an official recall, yet. so it's much ado about nothing as far as i'm concerned

mike
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Al sorts of shit contains lead. All my toys when I was a kid, my hotwheels, I chewed on, etc.............. oh wait, maybe that explains my weirdness...................

daygoVR6
01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Lon, exactly... :tup:

the CPSC hasn't issued an official recall, yet. so it's much ado about nothing as far as i'm concerned

Bicycles & Accessories are listed

Its intresting that Fire Supressors are listed - wonder how many high end speed shops that sell Halon systems for race cars are having issues

Kelly Girl
01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Product Type: Bicycles & Accessories

Bicycles with RockShox Bicycle Forks Recalled by SRAM LLC Due to Crash Hazard (January 6, 2009)
Magura USA Recalls Bicycle Suspension Forks Due to Crash Hazard (December 23, 2008)
Lithium-Ion Batteries Used with Bicycle Lights Recalled By DiNotte Lighting Due to Burn Hazard (November 18, 2008)
Shimano American Corp. Recalls Wheels for Bicycles; Flat Tire Can Pose Injury Risk to Riders (October 23, 2008)
Bicycles with Deda Forza Handlebar Stems Recalled by Deda Elementi Due to Crash Hazard (September 3, 2008)
Cervelo SA Recalls Bicycle Forks Due to Fall Hazard (August 20, 2008)
Electra Bicycle Company Expands Recall of Amsterdam Bicycles; Chain Can Derail and Pose Injury Risk to Riders (August 19, 2008)
Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Look Cycle; Pedals Can Break Causing Cyclists to Fall (August 5, 2008)
Electra Bicycle Company Recalls Amsterdam Bicycles; Chain Can Derail and Pose Injury Risk to Riders (July 22, 2008)
Hayes Bicycle Group Recalls Quick-Release Devices for Bicycles Due To Fall Hazard (July 2, 2008)
Nashbar Direct Inc. Recalls Bicycle Resistance Trainers Due to Puncture Hazard (April 22, 2008)
Performance Inc. Recalls Bicycle Resistance Trainers Due to Puncture Hazard (April 22, 2008)
Trek Recalls Girls Bicycles Due To Frame Failure (February 7, 2008)
Pacific Cycle Recalls Children's Trailer Bicycles; Can Detach from Adult Bicycle and Injure Children (January 8, 2008)
Cannondale Recalls Scalpel Mountain Bikes; Frame Failure Poses Crash Hazard (January 8, 2008)
Bicycle Helmets Recalled by Specialized Due to Failing Helmet Standard (December 18, 2007)
Reynolds Recalls Bicycle Forks Due to Fall Hazard (October 23, 2007)
Huffy Recalls Bicycles Due To Cranks Falling Off; Riders Can Lose Control of Bike (October 16, 2007)
Formula Brake USA Recalls Disc Brakes for Bicycles Due to Risk of Failure (October 16, 2007)
Procycle Group Inc. Recalls Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard (October 16, 2007)
REI Recalls Children�s Trailer Bicycles; Can Detach from Adult Bicycle and Injure Children (September 18, 2007)
Raleigh America Recalls Bicycles; Forks Can Break Causing Loss of Control (August 3, 2007)
Cannondale Announces Recall of Mountain Bicycles; Lefty Forks Can Break Unexpectedly (June 13, 2007)
Cannondale Recalls Bicycles With Carbon Crankset Due to Fall Hazard (June 6, 2007)
SRAM Corp. Recalls Bicycle Brake Caliper Sets Due to Crash Hazard (April 10, 2007)
Dynacraft Recalls Bicycles Sold Exclusively at Target Due to Frame Failure (March 28, 2007)
Mirraco Recalls Bicycles Due to Wheel Fork Failure Hazard (February 27, 2007)
Cannondale Recalls 2007 Model Road Bicycles Due to Brake Failure (January 9, 2007)
Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Time Sport International Due to Fall Hazard (October 25, 2006)
Light & Motion Recalls Bicycle Light Batteries for Fire and Burn Hazards (October 17, 2006)
Cervelo Cycles Inc. Announces Recall of Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard (September 28, 2006)
Shimano American Corp. Recalls Quick-Release Device for Bicycles Posing Fall Hazard (July 12, 2006)
M2Racer LLC Recalls Bicycle Headsets for Fall Hazard (July 12, 2006 )
Felt Bicycles Announce Recall to Repair Mountain Bicycles for Brake Failure (July 7, 2006)
Specialized Bicycle Components Inc. Recalls Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard (June 22, 2006)
Syntace USA Recall of Bicycle Handlebar Stems (January 19, 2006)
Recreational Equipment Inc. Recall of Children's Bicycles (December 22, 2005)
Delta Cycle Corp. Recall of Picasso Two-Bike Folding Racks (October 25, 2005 )
World Wide Cycle Supply Inc. Recall of Bicycles Sold at Toys “R” Us (September 2, 2005)
Torelli Imports Recall of Bicycle Tires (August 17, 2005 )
Ritchey Design Inc. Recall of Bicycle Wheels (August 11, 2005 )
American Classic Recall of Bicycle Wheels (August 8, 2005)
Giant Bicycle, Inc. Recall of Bicycles (August 2, 2005)
WaveCrest Laboratories LLC Recall of Electric Bicycles (August 2, 2005)
VisionTech USA, Inc. Recall of Bicycle Aero Bars (July 25, 2005)
Rolf Prima Inc. Recall of Bicycle Wheels (July 6, 2005)
Quality Bicycle Products Recall of Bicycle Handlebar Stems (May 5, 2005 )
CF Roark Welding & Engineering Recall of Bicycle Frames (March 11, 2005)
Cannondale Bicycle Corporation Recall of Bicycle Suspension Seat Posts (February 18, 2005)
Shimano American Corp. Brake Inner Cable Recall (February 10, 2005 )
Selle Royal/fi'zi:k Recall of Bicycle Seats (January 14, 2005)
Norco Products Ltd. Recall of Bicycle Attachment (January 7, 2005 )
Answer Products Inc. Recall of Bicycle Suspension Forks (November 8, 2004)
Cannondale Bicycle Corp. Recall of Certain Quick-Release Handlebar Bags (November 5, 2004 )
Quality Bicycle Products Recall of Bicycle Forks (November 2, 2004)
Giant Bicycle Inc. Recall of Bicycles (October 13, 2004 )
Full Speed Ahead Recall of Scatto Bicycle Wheel Quick Releases (September 29, 2004 )
Specialized Bicycle Components Inc. Recall of Bicycles (September 29, 2004 )
Performance Inc. and Supergo Inc. Recall of Bicycle Handlebars (September 22, 2004)
Huffy Bicycle Company Recall of "Cranbrook" Bicycles Sold at Wal-Mart (June 16, 2004 )
Pacific Cycle Inc. Recall of Mongoose 20-Inch Mountain Bicycles (April 2, 2004 )
Brake Rotors On Mountain Bikes Recalled by Specialized (December 10, 2003)
Park Tool USA Recall of Bicycle Floor Pump (October 2, 2003 )
Cervelo Cycles Inc. Bicycle Fork Recall (July 31, 2003)
Bike Helmets Recalled by Monarch Velo, LLC doing business as Catlike USA (May 22, 2003)
Dynacraft Recall of BMX Bicycles (April 17, 2003 )
Sun Rise Industrial Co., Ltd. and Raleigh America Inc.Recall of Bicycles (January 7, 2003 )
CPSC, Sunrise Medical Announces Recall of 3-Wheel Hand Cycle (November 6, 2002)
Gemini Bicycles Recalled by Cannondale Corp. (October 24, 2002 )
Lida Bicycle Co. Recalls Men's Bicycles (October 17, 2002 )
Performance Inc. Recall of Bicycle Handlebar Attachments (October 2, 2002 )
Lithium Batteries in Electric Bikes Recalled by EV Global Motors Co. (September 17, 2002)
Bicycles Recalled by Haro Bicycle Corp (August 29, 2002 )
Bicycle Tire Floor Pumps Recalled by Todson Inc. (August 28, 2002 )
Mountain Bicycles Recalled by Answer Products Inc. (August 22, 2002 )
Mountain Bikes Recalled by Marin Mountain Bikes (August 15, 2002 )
Bicycles With Defective Stems Recalled by Cannondale Corp. (August 15, 2002 )
Bicycle Suspension Seat Posts Recalled by Cane Creek (July 24, 2002 )
Bicycles Sold at Target Recalled by Dynacraft Industries Inc. (July 10, 2002 )
BY US International Recalls "NEXT" Ultra Shock Bicycles Sold at Wal-Mart (June 20, 2002 )
Rocky Mountain Bicycles Recalls Mountain Bicycles (May 9, 2002 )
Trailer Bikes Recalled by InSTEP LLC (April 25, 2002 )
Bicycles Recalled by Specialized Bicycle Components Inc. (April 25, 2002 )
Brunswick Corp. Expanded Recall of Mongoose and Roadmaster Mountain Bicycles (April 18, 2002 )
BikeE Corp. Recalls Recumbent Bicycles (February 28, 2002)
Kent International Inc. Recalls "Midget Racer" Mini- Bicycles (January 3, 2002 )
Profile-Design LLC Bicycle "Aero Bars" Recall (November 29, 2001 )
Pacific Cycle Recalls Ally Cat Tandem Bicycle Accessories (November 14, 2001 )
BikeE Recalls Recumbent Tandem Bicycle (November 14, 2001)
Performance Recalls Bicycle Rims (November 14, 2001 )
Raleigh America Recalls Bicycles (November 20, 2001 )
Wysco "Runt"™ Mini-Bicycle Recall (October 10, 2001 )
Salsa Cycles Recall Bicycle Rims (October 09, 2001)
TH!NK Mobility Recalls Electrically Assisted Bicycles (September 18, 2001)
BikeE Recalls Recumbent Bicycle Suspension Forks (August 14, 2001)
Acetrike Bicycle Co. Recalls Children's Bicycles (July 30, 2001 )
Recall of Bicycles and Bicycle Components (July 17, 2001 )
Push'n Pop Toys, Giant Bicycle Forks and Candle Recalls (May 24, 2001)
Mountain Bicycles Sold at Toys R Us Recalled by Dynacraft (May 3, 2001 )
Dynacraft Recall of Boys' Mountain Bicycles Sold at Wal-Mart (April 24, 2001 )
Water Bottles Included With Girls' Bikes Recalled by Pacific Cycle LLC (March 13, 2001 )
By Us International Co. Ltd. Bicycle Fork Recall (February 23, 2001 )
Children's Bicycles Recalled by Seattle Bike Supply (January 29, 2001 )
Bicycles Recalled by DiaTech USA and Derby USA (December 6, 2000 )
Bicycle Handlebar Stems Recalled by Profile Design (November 30, 2000 )
Bicycle Forks Recalled by RockShox (October 12, 2000)
Road Bikes & Handlebar Stems Recalled by Trek (September 28, 2000 )
Mountain Bikes Recalled by Dynacraft (September 26, 2000 )
Bicycle Indoor Training Stands Recalled by Minoura (August 9, 2000 )
Bicycle Forks Recalled by By Us International (May 9, 2000 )
Bicycle Forks Recalled by Answer Products (May 9, 2000 )
Mountain Bikes and Power Strips (February 29, 2000)
Men's Mountain Bicycles Recalled by Royce Union Bicycles (December 13, 1999 )
Men's Mountain Bicycles Recalled by Huffy Bicycle (December 13, 1999 )
Mountain Bikes & Underwater Strobes Recalled (November 16, 1999)
Sprayer Bottles & Huffy "Verdict" Bicycles Recall (August 10, 1999)
Specialized Road Bicycles and Ceiling Fans Recall (July 20, 1999)
Bikes and Scarves Recall (May 17, 1999)
Bicycle Suspension Forks Recalled by Dah Ken & RST USA (March 17, 1999)
BMX Bicycles Recalled by Schwinn Cycling & Fitness (March 3, 1999 )
Bicycle Chains Recall/Repair by Specialized Bicycle Components (June 9, 1998 )
Campus Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Performance (May 19, 1998 )
Bicycle Chains Recalled by SRAM (May 14, 1998 )
Mountain Bikes Recalled by Rand/Ross Bicycle (April 27, 1998 )
Bike Passenger Trailers Recalled by Norco Products USA (March 31, 1998)
Bicycle Frames Recalled by GT Bicycles (March 12, 1998 )
Bicycle Trailers Recalled by Riteway Products (January 6, 1998)
Diamondback Mountain Bikes Recalled by Sachs Bicycle (November 12, 1997)
Magna Bicycles Recall by Dynacraft Industries (July 29, 1997)
Bicycle Cranks Recalled by Shimano (July 1, 1997)
Ballistic Bike Fork Recall by Raleigh USA (March 3, 1997)
Suspension Forks Recalled by Giant Bicycle (December 20, 1996)
Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Fork Recalled by Girvin (July 18, 1996)
"Posi Track" Suspension Forks Recalled by Pacific Cycle (July 9, 1996)
Bicycle Recalled by Performance (May 8, 1996)
Mountain Bike Suspension Fork Recalled by Answer Products (April 30, 1996; Revised February 14, 2003)
"Unishock" Suspension Forks Recalled by Scott Usa (March 13, 1996; Revised July 9, 2001)
Cosmic Bicycle Wheel Recalled by Mavic, S.A. (December 21, 1995)
Tange Bicycle Forks Recalled by Tange (December 19, 1995)
Technium Mountain Bike Frames Recalled by Raleigh (December 18, 1995)
Bike Brake & Handlebar Recalled by Specialized (August 16, 1995)
Tricycle Recalled by Radio Flyer (June 23, 1995)
1992 Mag 20 & Mag 30 Suspension Fork Crowns Recalled by Rock Shox (June 22, 1995)
Bicycle Forks Repair Program by GT Bicycles (May 17, 1995)
Suspension Forks Recall (December 1, 1994)
Seat Posts Recall (December 1, 1994)
1992 "Future Shock" Suspension Bicycle Forks Recalled (August 4, 1994)
Zenital, Inc. Recalls 16-Inch Sidewalk Bicycles (AUGUST 30, 1993)
Huffy Bicycle Company Recalls 20-Inch, 24-Inch, And 26-Inch Bicycles (July 27, 1993)
Radio Flyer, Inc. Recalls Children's Bicycles (September 17, 1992)
Santa Fe Trading, Inc. Recalls 12-Inch And 16-Inch Children's Bicycles (September 9, 1992; Revised July 10, 2001)
Bianchi Recall Forks On "Randonneur" Bicycles (August 14, 1990; Revised July 9, 2001)
Ming Ta Supply U.S.A. Recalls Model #1615 Mountain Jr. Bicycles (December 1, 1989)
Boy's And Girl's Sidewalk Bicycles Recalled (December 1, 1989)
BMX-12" Bicycle Wheels Replacement By Rand Bicycle (March 3, 1988)
"Magna" Sidewalk Bicycle Wheel Rims Repaired By Dynacraft (August 04, 1987)
12" Sidewalk Bicycles Replaced by Roadmaster (December 19, 1986)
Bicycle Forks Recalled by Cannondale (November 29, 1985)
Parkcycle Front Forks Replaced By Columbia (December 28, 1984)
Bicycle Handlebar Stem Assemblies Recalled by Murray Ohio (June 12, 1983)
Seat Attachment Parts On Exercise Bikes Replaced by Beacon (October 13, 1981)
Chain Guard Kit for Bicycle Offerred by Columbia (November 15, 1978)
J.C. Penney Alerts Consumers To Potential Bike Defect (September 20, 1978)
Bicycles Recalled by Coast to Coast (June 13, 1978)
Bicycles Recalled by Huffy (May 31, 1978)

daygoVR6
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
actually that listing looks to be more for public awareness

Im just sitting back and watching to see what happens we already have distributors questioning what we are doing to make sure they can sell our products to the public since they can be fined as well for selling products that do not have the proper certifications .....alot of this is all aimed at the Wal-Mart type bikes problem is BMX Bikes are labeled as a toy and not as a sport, like MTB or Road bikes are

Slapshotnerd
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
so what you're telling me is that if I wanted a new bike, expect some blowout sales the first week of Feb!

daygoVR6
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
ya pretty much ....actually the stores cant even sell it to you according to the regs or they could be fined so find the BMX bike you want now

course the MTB and Road bike would wont get it as hard just yet untill the companies that build product for both markets have to start off set testing costs ....

Kelly Girl
01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
nothing found in BRaIN (Bicycle Retail and Industry News) ??

daygoVR6
01-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I thought I saw something on it but its 2 months old

daygoVR6
01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
hey KG heres some more info to fuel the fire

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/1996.html