PDA

View Full Version : Who hikes? and where?

PhätTony
01-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I used to go hiking a at least once a month in Germany and once on "The Trail of Peace in Spain, but hung up my backpack when I arrived back in the states. Since I work weekends and most hiking noobs trek on the weekends, I want to start again on weekdays. I've looked at many sites and a few hiking forums around SoCal and Northern Utah. I'd like to know from personal experience from peeps on this site. Yes, I know about cougars off the trails (4 legs and 2 alike lol), much like wolves and snakes. So share the wealth of the trail as we they say. Also I will post up any days I will be heading out if any tag alongs wanna go, feel free!

GTi_01
01-10-2009, 10:05 PM
i like hiking in yosemite. ^.^

i go once a year. about 9 years now.

karl
01-10-2009, 11:16 PM
theres Eaton canyon in pasadena (i used to hike there) and there a bunch of places in the foothills of azusa. there were a few places around the IE too. Jarupa hills (i think)
someone told me theres some trails here in Loma Linda, ive been wanting to check out

mike
01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I have only been on local day hikes but would love to do more.

xoutofstepx
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
My friends always hike in the Santiago Canyon/Saddleback Mountain area. One of these days I will join them. Mike, let me know if you want to go sometime.

PhätTony
01-11-2009, 12:19 AM
I have only been on local day hikes but would love to do more.

My friends always hike in the Santiago Canyon/Saddleback Mountain area. One of these days I will join them. Mike, let me know if you want to go sometime.

Sounds like we might have a HTG sometime soon. Preferably in March when I get my knee totally back into it. As for now, a buidup in Azuza or Loma Linda with Karl will suffice.

Karl,

I'll let you know buddy, can you possibly point me in the direction of a trail map of some sort?

xoutofstepx
01-11-2009, 12:41 AM
A HTG sounds pretty awesome! We can have an ETG after. :)

PhätTony
01-11-2009, 02:02 AM
A HTG sounds pretty awesome! We can have an ETG after. :)

A requirement to fullfill a HTG!!!

lbvr6
01-11-2009, 09:08 AM
I love to hike and that is why I get paid to do it! The area of McCall, Idaho has been my fav, but SoCal has some decent hikes too. The PCT starts down at the border in Campo.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/kanderson21/100_1401.jpg

And some VW content

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/kanderson21/100_1403.jpg

alishaB
01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Dude that'd be awesome!! We should have a hiking event! Start small, then progress! Whatcha think? I'd be down!

twistedangel
01-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Me me me!!

I'm in!! I'm a hiking nut. I used to try to get 3-6 mi in every other day, but no one can keep up with me anymore. I've developed into a trail runner ...

The most extreme hiking trip being Kuaui ... averaging 15 mi a day for a week in wetness and mud. I haven't done the crazy Yosemite one yet ... once again, no one to go with me :-(

I really like going to the Cuyamacas down here where there is a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't really know OC at all, but "A Foot and A Field" series is great. I have San Diego and Tahoe.

LMK when and where. I'm in.

alishaB
01-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, PhatTony, looks like you gotta set a date, place and poll for a SoCalEuro hiking GTG!

karl
01-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Sounds like you guys get all crazy with the hiking. im just kinda puttin around the trails when i go. ive seen people hike where i go riding (pilot rock) but i think thats kinda dangerous with all the dirtbikes/quads/rhinos running about

Kyle H
01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm in! I've only backpacked twice (one 3 day, 20 mile hike in Hawaii, one two day, 22 mile hike in SLO county), but I want to do more of it down in san diego.

TOYr32
01-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Day hikes or actual backpacking?

lbvr6
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Couple pics from last summer

Sequoia National forest - Golden Trout Wilderness

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/kanderson21/Picture002.jpg

Carmel, CA

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/kanderson21/Picture004.jpg

Kelly Girl
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
a hike?? yeah, you should definately go take one

alishaB
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Day hikes or actual backpacking?

I'm the 'go hike around for a few hours' type person.

IfYouSeeKay
01-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I meant to post this link..
http://localhikes.com/Default.asp

VWaGoGo
01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
A couple great local hikes...Iron Mtn off the 67 in Poway and Cowles Mtn in Santee/San Carlos. Pretty steep and kinda warm, so go early on hot days.

twistedangel
01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
A couple great local hikes...Iron Mtn off the 67 in Poway and Cowles Mtn in Santee/San Carlos. Pretty steep and kinda warm, so go early on hot days.

Iron Mountain is pretty good.

I like Cowles better b/c of the whole Mission Trails area ... lots of variety.

And avoid the late afternoon (like 3-4) snakes are out like crazy. The increased evening traffic around 5-6 scares 'em away though. On a nice evening... cowles mountain also makes a great "beer hike". I.e. Enjoy a few as the sun sets and then try to find your way down in the dark ...

But if you insist on the afternoon scorchers ... Like me, I'm sorta masochistic ...

If you start at the Barker Way trailhead, you can get snowcones from the ice cream truck on a hot day. It cruises all around that side b/c of Gage Elementary (obviously don't go there if you're court ordered to stay away from elementary schools).

Double fisted yumminess.

protijy337
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
there is plenty out here in SD, Laguna mnt area, cuaymaca, lots of stuff.

Oh also check out San jacinto! out near palm springs

GTiGirl
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
i like to hike but my hiking partner blew out her acl - haven't been ever since (september 2008).

i'm down for a short 5-7 mile hike to build back up... maybe even run a few.

twistedangel
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
i like to hike but my hiking partner blew out her acl - haven't been ever since (september 2008).

I was going to go this weekend by myself, but maybe you we can go together? Your pace sounds on par with mine.

gtiador
01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Haven't been hiking in a couple years now, but I still get around on my bike once in a while. My dad and I used to frequent Blackstar Canyon, Peters Canyon RP, and Chino Hills SP. Chino Hills rocks in the winter/spring. Lots of shade and a well-maintained picnic area atop a hill to catch a breather. Carbon Canyon RP is at the bottom of the trailhead going into Chino Hills and is a nice hike too. Those are the local day-hike ones for me, but I've had the most fun in Cleveland Nat'l Forest and Crystal Cove SP in Laguna. Both make for awesome weekend backpacking trips. Cleveland NF has a really cool hike up to the top of Sitton Peak too. That was definitely the highlight of my trip there about 8 years ago.

GTiGirl
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I was going to go this weekend by myself, but maybe you we can go together? Your pace sounds on par with mine.

I'm totally down. I'm really only available Thursday evenings (no good until PDT starts) and Saturday/Sunday mornings.

Maybe get an SD hiking event going?

I only know a handful of trails (Iron Mtn, Cowles Mtn, PQ Canyon)...

twistedangel
01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm totally down. I'm really only available Thursday evenings (no good until PDT starts) and Saturday/Sunday mornings.

Saturday or Sunday would be OK for me. I know SD county trails pretty well. It's just a matter of how much time you have and how far out you're willing to drive :-) But Cowles is good this time of year. Not too hot yet - and pretty short and easy! Fun run back down, too.

What would be the best way to get this thing rolling as a group event?

PhätTony
01-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Saturday or Sunday would be OK for me. I know SD county trails pretty well. It's just a matter of how much time you have and how far out you're willing to drive :-) But Cowles is good this time of year. Not too hot yet - and pretty short and easy! Fun run back down, too.

What would be the best way to get this thing rolling as a group event?

Well, lets set a date of a Saturday, say we meet at a rally point off the closest highway. We would start very early, say 5am rally. Then start hiking at 6am. These would be build up hikes, making sure we stay as a team and progress together. Let's start with a 5'er at a mid location to everyone. Since we mentioned between OC and SD...why not do a nice level with a few upgrades.

We will eventually progess into a two day annual hike someplace possibly up north. Tahoe or something along that. We'll hike once a month, log our destinations and timing.

We will hit 5 locations in the next 6 months. We will divy up the locations so that it will be fair to all. 2 in SD county, 2 in OC county, and 2 in IE/San Ber county.

So we also need reps to go out and get info on these areas and study up a little for all of us that are foreign. The day before the HTG we will have a checklist of what to bring, forecast, and expectations.

When we complete our first round of hikes (one in each county), we will start round 2 and time for progression. A couple of things we do need though and this will be on the manifest before every single hike

1. 3 people that are FIRST AID qualified (card in hand)
2. One FIRST AID kit per person qual'd (2) minimum
3. Location Expert (someone who knows the area very well)

Item manifest such as compasses, food (MRE preferably), perishables will be available no later than the Wednesday of the hike by the Location Expert.

any other ideas?

IfYouSeeKay
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I am down. When we do trails we use Local Hikes (http://localhikes.com/Default.asp) to see what other peoples experiences are like. Id like to do Mt Baldy. That would be so awesome.

twistedangel
01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, lets set a date of a Saturday, say we meet at a rally point off the closest highway. We would start very early, say 5am rally. Then start hiking at 6am. These would be build up hikes, making sure we stay as a team and progress together. Let's start with a 5'er at a mid location to everyone. Since we mentioned between OC and SD...why not do a nice level with a few upgrades.

We will eventually progess into a two day annual hike someplace possibly up north. Tahoe or something along that. We'll hike once a month, log our destinations and timing.

We will hit 5 locations in the next 6 months. We will divy up the locations so that it will be fair to all. 2 in SD county, 2 in OC county, and 2 in IE/San Ber county.

So we also need reps to go out and get info on these areas and study up a little for all of us that are foreign. The day before the HTG we will have a checklist of what to bring, forecast, and expectations.

When we complete our first round of hikes (one in each county), we will start round 2 and time for progression. A couple of things we do need though and this will be on the manifest before every single hike

1. 3 people that are FIRST AID qualified (card in hand)
2. One FIRST AID kit per person qual'd (2) minimum
3. Location Expert (someone who knows the area very well)

Item manifest such as compasses, food (MRE preferably), perishables will be available no later than the Wednesday of the hike by the Location Expert.

any other ideas?

Wow ... I was just thinking ... grab my Camelback, a few CLIF bars, and meet wherever ...

But I like your plan, getting everyone ready for a destination event.

Another annual event idea is the Pendleton Mud Run. That's more of a running than hiking thing, though. Any trail runnners out there?

GTiGirl
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Pendleton Mud Run is sold out for this year (12,000 spots sold out in 7 days). I did it last year and it was awesome. Totally easy too. It's basically a silly 10K in the dirt with play time every mile or so.

FYI - I'm CPR and First Aid certified. But with these easy hikes, we should be fine so as long as everybody knows their limits and acts right.

VWaGoGo
01-21-2009, 10:21 AM

Boo.....I'm so jealous right now!!!! Can't wait to get this effin knee back. soon baby...soon.

SD202
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM

no one ever hikes mt woodson ??? what about del dios ???? i used to ride downhill at woodson all the time from the top where the towers are there is a trail that goes all the way down through the canyons that follow the poway grade and u end up at the very bottom of espola rd in poway.