PDA

View Full Version : Runners! What are your plans for the coming months?

CALL AAA
03-22-2009, 08:40 PM
What races do you all have planned for the next few months? Of course, this includes running, triathalons, etc.
Tehpandashow, did you start racing at all? I remember that you were asking about marathons a while back.
I haven't signed up yet, but I do plan on running the Rock and Roll in June.
I am training for it, but the real commitment comes with the $100+ entry fee.

I bought the Five Fingers. I like them. They feel a lot like running barefoot, but I don't get the OUCH OUCH OUCH with every pebble I step on. They're pretty comfortable.
I ran 6 miles on Friday, and there were only a few little spots where they rubbed and I had the start of a samll blister on the bottom of my foot.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/CALLAAA/P3220198.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/CALLAAA/P3220199.jpg

ncttrnl
03-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I've got a tri next weekend in Coronado.

Rhynolite
03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Whoa, those are sick! Are they more comfy/supportive than regular running shoes?

CALL AAA
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Quite the opposite. There is almost no support. They are a very thin layer of rubber with a few straps to hold it on your foot. There is a hint of arch support, but you can roll the whole shoe up and put it in a sunglass case. Think of Nike Aquasocks with individual toes.

mitssn
03-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Carlsbad 5k
Camp Pendleton Mud Run
MCAS Miramar Boot Camp Challenge
O'side Turkey Trot

(Same ones every year)

Tehpandashow
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Yo! yo! yo!

I have been training to do a big run, I stopped lifting weights and now focusing on everything that will make me become a better runner.

Maybe by summer I can do a half marathon??? we will see.

RavinJetta
03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
La Jolla 5k and probably the Fireman's run

GTiGirl
03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Probably just the Fireman Run for sure this year... hopefully a 10K in autumn.

Rhynolite
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Quite the opposite. There is almost no support. They are a very thin layer of rubber with a few straps to hold it on your foot. There is a hint of arch support, but you can roll the whole shoe up and put it in a sunglass case. Think of Nike Aquasocks with individual toes.

So what's the point then?

ncttrnl
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
So what's the point then?

There are a lot of people that think its better to run barefoot. These would let you kinda do that but still protect your feet.

Tom
03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Marine Corps Marathon in October. Maybe.

twistedangel
03-23-2009, 03:20 PM
No race plans this year.

Just running 3 mi daily ... Can probably do a 5K or 10K on short notice if anyone is thinking "group activity"

Tom
03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Too late for this year, but we should do Mud Run team for next year.

GTiGirl
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Mud Run team is an awesome idea... but we have to be on it early. I went to sign up on January 7 and all 3 days were sold out already (registration opens on January 1).

ncttrnl
03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
They have a bunch of other "mud runs" now. You might still be able to find one that is open.

CALL AAA
03-24-2009, 12:06 AM
There are a lot of people that think its better to run barefoot. These would let you kinda do that but still protect your feet.
Yeah, it's hard to explain. It's a more natural footstrike without shoes. Think about the way your heels are sometimes over an inch off the ground with running shoes. Your body has to adapt to that angle. Its it bad for you? Probably not.
I run faster without shoes, and if I don't run for a while, I can pick up running without shoes faster than running with them, and with less soreness. I have some pretty F'ed up feet. I have weird, flexible ankles and toes, and no feeling in the sides of my big toes. I guess I am kind of a good candidate for an oddball running style, but it works for me.

jr_scheiBe
04-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah the for/midfoot strike definitely reduces injury and allows you to carry a higher cadence but its hard to train the body to run like that (takes weeks/months). I have Newtons (the bright neon orange/yellow shoes that cost $180) and they rock! super light and the padding on the balls of the feet are great to get the turnover. I noticed yesterday by mile 8 I was falling back to a mid/heal strike just because I was tired but prior to was forefoot all the way.

as far as schedules......

Carlsbad Half marathon (done)
tritonman (done)
fiesta island TT (done)
IM 70.3 CA (done)
LJ half marathon
Spring Sprint
IM 70.3 Boise
SDIT
Solana Beach Triathlon
AFC half marathon
Nautica Malibu Triathlon
Mission Bay Triathlon
SOMA 70.3

GTiGirl
04-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Damn, that is a serious schedule!

jr_scheiBe
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
its a form of insanity.... i'll expect intervention soon, if not then as planned I'll be going for IMAZ 2010

ncttrnl
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
its a form of insanity.... i'll expect intervention soon, if not then as planned I'll be going for IMAZ 2010

Intervention? So far all you've found are co-dependents.

I'm tempted to sign up for Soma to get a preview of what IMAZ would be like. I think Susan is less than thrilled about that idea though. She doesn't think I'm training enough and that study that said you're 2 times more likely to die in a triathlon than a marathon didn't help.

GTiGirl
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah I read that study too. It's just the swim part, so wear a wetsuit and a red head thing and they'll find you if you start to die :)

I would like to try a triathlon (sprint) but don't have the correct bicycle (and not sure about the $ investment). Once I'm done with school I'm going to stick with running and "extreme" sports and see how that goes.

ncttrnl
04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah I read that study too. It's just the swim part, so wear a wetsuit and a red head thing and they'll find you if you start to die :)

I would like to try a triathlon (sprint) but don't have the correct bicycle (and not sure about the $ investment). Once I'm done with school I'm going to stick with running and "extreme" sports and see how that goes.

The bike doesn't matter as much as you'd think. There are quite a few people that ride whatever they've got: beach cruiser, mountain, bmx, etc. I was beat by a guy on a BMX bike during my last tri. I smoked him on the bike course but he was faster in the water and he sailed by me on the run like he wasn't even tired.

The problem with the tri swim is that people just don't realize how strenuous it is. There are quite a few people that have never been in open water and some that actually haven't really been in a pool. Some people panic. Some people can't handle the cold water (around here its high 50s low 60s). Some have existing heart conditions that are pushed past their breaking point by the stress of the swim. When something goes wrong, its not like they collapse. They wind up floating in a hostile environment where they could drown before they get pulled to land for medical attention.

VWaGoGo
04-06-2009, 12:30 PM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:0hl7QMa_TfQjEM:http://www.core77.com/blog/images/extreme_ironing_competition.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.core77.com/blog/images/extreme_ironing_competition.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D33%26t%3D13459%26p%3D153847&usg=__1Cj8igWi-jE2ZA256yll7RVHxHY=&h=495&w=468&sz=56&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=0hl7QMa_TfQjEM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dextreme%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG)

I LOVE going EXTREME!!!! Arggg...I can't wait till my ACL is ready to rock n roll! This summer is Kayaking and swimming for me.

dylan5990
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
i want to do a triathlon but i'm not a very strong swimmer.. maybe i'll just do a biathlon

GTiGirl
04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
You can train to swim :)

ncttrnl
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
i want to do a triathlon but i'm not a very strong swimmer.. maybe i'll just do a biathlon

I'm not a very strong swimmer either. I barely made it through my first swim in Feb and that was 500m. A couple weeks ago I managed to make it through a 1500m swim slow but with a smile on my face coming out of the water.

Find a pool, take a class, and practice. Once you get comfortable in the water, it gets easier. Nothing gets easier without training.

dylan5990
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
yah i guess ur right. the weird thing is i surf all the time but when it comes to swimming freestyle i suck

Monster8V
04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
:drama:

boragirl
04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
i'm PLANNING on doing:

colorado colfax half marathon in may
bolder boulder 10K in may
some sort of sprint or olympic tri before IM to brush off the cobwebs
ironman CDA in june
then prob a 1/2 IM late summer and hope to kick some marathon ass in the fall!
(if my dad is able to qualify, aka sub-4:00:59 for his age group, we'll do boston together in 2010, w00t)

i think jon has me beat haha =)

VWaGoGo
04-07-2009, 05:17 PM
yah i guess ur right. the weird thing is i surf all the time but when it comes to swimming freestyle i suck

I'm in the same boat. I can paddle for hours and not even realize how long I've been in the water, but take the board away.....and I no good either!
Hopefully that will change since I can't surf this summer. Swimming and Kayaking! FTW

jr_scheiBe
04-07-2009, 05:54 PM
i think jon has me beat haha =)

I think all those triathletes are insane personally....I mean who the fuck would subject themselves to that type of schedule just for some dude, that not many people know, to say "you are an ironman."

:D:D:D

Now as far as the Heart Attack Study... here's what Dr. John Martinez (doctor on the ITU USAT national team) at Coastal has to say...

http://coastalsportsmedicine.com/blog/2009/03/do-triathletes-have-a-higher-risk-of-heart-attacks/

biathlon is ski/shoot if i remember right. Youre probably thinking of duathlon which is run/bike/run

jr_scheiBe
04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
the bike doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

why didnt someone tell me this before i sunk all that $$ into mine!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

CALL AAA
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Although I didn't have plans for it at the time, I did the 24 Hours of Adrenalin at Hurkey Creek. We took third in the 5 man (150-199) category.
My god, that was fun!

GTiGirl
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I thinking about doing the Triple Crown in 2010... Gotta get ready!

VWaGoGo
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I thinking about doing the Triple Crown in 2010... Gotta get ready!

You betta GTAM! Give a couple more months, I'll start the training w you. Maybe!

GTiGirl
05-01-2009, 11:44 AM
There is a half-marathon option dude, no biggie!

CALL AAA
06-13-2009, 12:39 AM
My wife has a duathlon at Dizzyland on Sunday. 1.5 mile run, 10 mi bike, 2.5 mi run.
Wish her luck!