PDA

View Full Version : Road bike question!

S÷FAKING
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Idk If this is the right thread for this but oh well haha

Alrighty so I'm planning on getting a road bike probubly next week but the problem is idk what size or what to look for. I'm 6 ft tall weigh about 165 pounds (idk if weight matters??) I was wondering what size frame I'd be looking for??

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

S÷FAKING
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I also posted this is in the fitness and excercise forum thing too

Alrighty so I'm planning on getting a road bike probubly next week but the problem is idk what size or what to look for. I'm 6 ft tall weigh about 165 pounds (idk if weight matters??) I was wondering what size frame I'd be looking for??

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

idrivea2002golf
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Straddle the main tube of the bike, it should stand about 1" below your crotch. for a 6' guy i would start on an 18" frame and see how that feels. smaller than a 16" and you'll be having a hard time. A lot of times those are in CM so just convert roughly in your head 1inch is ~2.4CM.
when you adjust the seat your legs should be JUST bent when the pedal is at its farthest from you.

If you google bike fitment there are a couple of guides to bike picking. This guy goes into some detail http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

rawr32
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
A good bike shop will be able to fit you for a bike. For reference though, I'm 5'10" and ride a 56cm frame, and my dad is 6'1" with a 58cm. We were both fitted for our bikes. Different brands of frames measure differently as well depending on how the top tube slopes and what your own body measurements are (some people have longer legs or torsos than others at the same height). But again, the best way to find the right size is by letting the pros fit you on the bike you want to get.

ncttrnl
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Go into your local bike shop and test ride some bikes. Your height will put you around a 56 but you may find you need a smaller or larger bike for a proper fit.

S÷FAKING
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys for all your feedback! When I get my bike (hopefully next week) Ill post some flicks up! Thanks again!

strictland19
05-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Hey there!

I bought my first bike 5 years ago at a outdoor recreation store (REI, for those of you who know it). It's got fat but not-too-knobby tires, upright handlebars, no suspension in the front or back, and it's a triple. It's not really a mountain bike, the guy called it a bike suitable for commuting, which is what I initially used it for. I never use the "granny ring" and I've found that as I've gotten better and stronger, I can pedal faster than my top gear will go.

I've talked to my husband (who loves his 1980ish Bianchi and pretty much just laughs at my bike) and he was suggesting that I have the granny ring taken off and have a larger sprocket added. Now that I'm talking about wanting to do some long distance rides (century and double century) he's suggested I look for a new bike. That's cool, but a couple of things are of concern to me:

Do all official "road bikes" have those skinny, naked tires?

What about those handle bars? I'm used to riding more upright... could I be happier with those... uh... curly things? Does it make much of a difference?

I know there are a couple of threads about advice on buying new bikes, sorry if this is duplicate, but recommendations for great beginner bikes under $1000 would be welcome in addition to any advice you have for me.

Best,

Strictland

ncttrnl
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
You can go with a touring/hybrid bike that is just a little less chunky. They have tires that are a little bigger than a road bike tire and have a little bit of tread on them. They also have a more upright seating position and they have different types of bars you can get for comfort.

Road bikes are made for speed on pavement. They aren't necessarily uncomfortable but they aren't built for comfort either.

You'd be looking at something like this http://www.rei.com/product/776884

Neccros
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
6ft=60cm....

if your interested, I have a good basic road frame, carbon fork, headset, seat, etc I wanna sell cheap.... frame was too big for me and I bought a smaller one...

ncttrnl
05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
6ft=60cm....

I'm 6'2" and ride a 56cm

jr_scheiBe
05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
6ft = 54-56-58cm I'd bet money that youre a 56.

depends on how long your torso is, legs are, ...etc.

Neccros
05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm 5'11" and my 56cm is perfect... I have a 32inch inseam

I was told by a professional fitter that a 60cm frame is best for someone 6' to 6'2"

HustlinDa858
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
you just need to go and feel it out, before riding i did not know what i wanted to ride. i am 5'10, 30in inseam i now ride a 53cm