PDA

View Full Version : Santiago Canyon ride

mike
04-05-2009, 04:02 PM
A buddy of mine went and rode a few trails in Santiago Canyon this morning. About twenty minuets in, we were flying down the trail on a downhill section, he was in front of me and he stopped. I went to go by him I saw why he stopped, a rattle snake about 3 inches in diameter was crossing the trail. I slammed on my brakes and almost went over the bars on top of it! I was scared shitless. His tail was rattling and he scurried off into the brush on the side of the trail.

We rode about another 15 minuets, when came across another one, this time he had just started out on the path and we zoomed by his head. At this point we are dumb founded. I haven't seen a rattle snake in the wild in almost 15 years, and then we see two on the same outting?! Being that I'm getting fairly into this mountain biking thing, is this normal? The trails were loose dirt with some fairly steep sections, so after about an hour and a half, we were spent. Then decided to go have chips, salsa and guacamole washed down with Corona. MMMMM.

RTRUJILLO
04-05-2009, 04:11 PM
A buddy of mine went and rode a few trails in Santiago Canyon this morning. About twenty minuets in, we were flying down the trail on a downhill section, he was in front of me and he stopped. I went to go by him I saw why he stopped, a rattle snake about 3 inches in diameter was crossing the trail. I slammed on my brakes and almost went over the bars on top of it! I was scared shitless. His tail was rattling and he scurried off into the brush on the side of the trail.

We rode about another 15 minuets, when came across another one, this time he had just started out on the path and we zoomed by his head. At this point we are dumb founded. I haven't seen a rattle snake in the wild in almost 15 years, and then we see two on the same outting?! Being that I'm getting fairly into this mountain biking thing, is this normal? The trails were loose dirt with some fairly steep sections, so after about an hour and a half, we were spent. Then decided to go have chips, salsa and guacamole washed down with Corona. MMMMM.

In the summer time I run in to them all the time,I been flying down the trails just like you did and I had no choice but to jump over it.One thing I learned is they hate water,if you spray them with water they will move out your way.

CALL AAA
04-05-2009, 04:46 PM
They're everywhere. You can't really get away from them. Just do your best to not run them over. Their reaction time/strike is so fast that if you ran one over with your front wheel, it could probably strike upwards before your back tire passed.

I saw a baby at Sycamore Canyon last year. It was on the side of the trail, at the part of a switchback where you would be most likely to put your foot down after a loose section. We all made it up, but that little fucker was waiting for us.

gtiador
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Santiago Canyon has rattlesnakes out the ass. I've seen tons of critters through there in my days of boy scout hikes and, more recently, bike rides. Everything from 1 inch long mice crawling through my spokes during a rest stop to a fresh and I mean fresh mountain lion dump. It had to have been just minutes old. Sorry if that description is sort of awkward, but it just goes to show. It's still some beautiful country though. Perfect for a morning ride without having to go too far off the beaten path.

CALL AAA
04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I did my first night ride last night. It was out in Santee, which isn't really OUT THERE (like Noble) but it's not exactly downtown, etiher. You don't need to see the eyes, but you just know you're being watched. (I mean by mountain lions, not the residents of Santee)

gest24
04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I did my first night ride last night. It was out in Santee, which isn't really OUT THERE (like Noble) but it's not exactly downtown, etiher. You don't need to see the eyes, but you just know you're being watched. (I mean by mountain lions, not the residents of Santee)

Cougars are dangerous out there. Be careful out there since little league season is starting up.

How was the night ride? You should've shot me a text, Em was working and i didn't have shit to do.

9otpwnd
04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
mike how often do you ride i ride whitting ranch and santiago canyon everyother day for the most part in the rsm area

mike
04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm trying to get out once a week. NO snakes!

URQ
04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to get out once a week. NO snakes!

come on you wuss just run them over it is awesome how they go up like a horse shoe and try and bite ya ask Don we ran over quite a few in the old days on our Dual Sports.:tup:

9otpwnd
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
ride santiago truck tail to luge its a 8 mile loop the luge is a really fun singletrack dh you park at cooks corner and ride up to majestic canyon rd to the trail and it ends and cooks corner

Paul
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
bunny hop!

IfYouSeeKay
04-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Santiago too much for a single speed Mt bike Mikey?

9otpwnd
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Santiago too much for a single speed Mt bike Mikey?
yeah you would not be into that ride

IfYouSeeKay
04-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I have a 12 speed gt i just really love my single speed right now :D

mike
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Ha, I have like 24 and its a PIA for me. We'll do the beach, maybe tomorrow morning if your down let me know.

9otpwnd
04-13-2009, 03:38 PM
newport to seal beach or to longbeach if you have the legs on that trail that goes past the hb pier is a fun ride if you love people watching and is as flat as a wall there and back