PDA

View Full Version : How to paint cf?

VicFlo
05-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I googled it up and can't find anything I'm looking for any tips on how to paint a cf hood IDK if its any different from metal or what not... Plus I'm cheap.

jimmy
05-23-2009, 10:29 PM
i'm not quite sure.. but i think it would be the same... sand, prime, paint, wet sand, paint, clear coat... or something like that. my friend painted his cf hood, said it was pretty much the same as painting fiberglass or whatnot.

1sikE36
05-23-2009, 10:30 PM
i'm not quite sure.. but i think it would be the same... sand, prime, paint, wet sand, paint, clear coat... or something like that. my friend painted his cf hood, said it was pretty much the same as painting fiberglass or whatnot.

that is correct, all in all it is the same save for its weight properties and what not

VicFlo
05-23-2009, 10:31 PM
hmm never painted fiber glass either

1sikE36
05-23-2009, 10:34 PM
hmm never painted fiber glass either

its pretty easy, you just have to take the clear coat down, prime it, sand, get some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray it down and wipe off the dust, then paint, wetsand, clear coat, wetsand again with super fine, and that should be good,

correct me if im wrong anyone please

VicFlo
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
its pretty easy, you just have to take the clear coat down, prime it, sand, get some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray it down and wipe off the dust, then paint, wetsand, clear coat, wetsand again with super fine, and that should be good,

cool once i get a garage ima have an awesome looking hood.

1sikE36
05-23-2009, 10:44 PM
cool once i get a garage ima have an awesome looking hood.

lol, i know that feeling, im glad that i have a garage though

SoCal_GLI
05-23-2009, 11:20 PM

dont forget to do a water break free test....after you clean it to make sure its clean

1sikE36
05-23-2009, 11:25 PM
dont forget to do a water break free test....after you clean it to make sure its clean

oohh good call, i forgot about that

kandst
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I work at a body shop and painting over cf is the same as painting over metal or the bumpers the only thing is that cf is not really flat so it might need a couple of blockings before doing the final paint

VicFlo
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
well thanks fellas but no cf hood for me the d*mn thing wouldn't close properly

jimmy
05-24-2009, 11:55 PM
well thanks fellas but no cf hood for me the d*mn thing wouldn't close properly

that would be the main problem with cf hoods. good luck to you on finding a good one. :tup2: