PDA

View Full Version : anyone done this before?

Kate1point8
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.sandiegomidnightmadness.org

im gonna do it i think.:tup:

karl
06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
sounds like it might be fun :)

Kate1point8
06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
it does sound fun. gonna be a long night though, haah i work sunday mornings.. in oc.. yikes haha

karl
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
haha, i dont even own a bike or live close to sandyeggo

xoutofstepx
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I wanted to do this last year, but didn't end up going.

http://socaleuro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34595

Lets get a group together and ride this year!

PhätTony
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
They do this in Newport and in Channel Islands. I did it back in 99 in C.I.

gest24
06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
It was kinda fun last year. But it was full of people who never rode in a huge group and then there we people acting stupid. Not all the roads were closed off. The start was really really cluttered and dangerous. But once you got to a certain spot things stretched out enough and the sketchy riders were well behind us.

Is it a good time? Yes. Was it worth paying for? No.

ncttrnl
06-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Susan and I did it last year and turned around after just a couple miles. People were weaving and slamming on their brakes while riding in a pack which was annoying enough but then there were the people being deliberately dangerous.

There was a mountain bike next to us that was kicking over cones into the pack with his rear wheel. There were a bunch of event crashers on bmx bikes doing all manner of stupid crap. We had a guy on a fixie sprint straight at us while we were stuck in the pack like he was playing chicken and then skid off to the side at the last second. After Susan almost got hit by an annoyed car that was revving at her while she was getting out of his way in what was supposed to be a "closed" section of road, we had enough.

If you go, ride a beach cruiser or something and you'll have a lot more fun. Being able to put your feet down without having to un-clip is safer riding in a pack like this. When you're clipped in, if the pack goes down or does something stupid, you may not have time or even enough room to get your foot out. I had people stopping so close to me at lights that their pedals were touching my bike.

Kate1point8
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
wow that actually makes it sound like a bummer :( why are people idiots?

URQ
06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I have done it several times just watch out for the drunk and homeless people running around they seem to want to get close to all the riders and also there is always a accident down down where you go over railroad tracks at a angle?

Kate1point8
06-02-2009, 04:19 PM
haah so i emailed one of the coordinators asking her some safety type related questions just for kicks, she wrote back with...

Hello Kate,

Thank you for emailing. The unsafe riders that crash Midnight Madness are the biggest headache for us! It is very difficult to enforce the rules in this situation. We are trying every year to do more and more to help the situation. This year we will be placing blockages along harbor dr. for the first two stop lights to see if that will help with people coming in from the side. Also, we will be letting the riders out in strict timed waves so that there is less of a crowd which makes things very dangerous. Safety is our number one concern and we always welcome suggestions! Thanks again for emailing. Have a great day and don’t hesitate to email with any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Tiffany Olson
Event Coordinator
Hostelling International USA, San Diego Council
739 4th Ave. Suite 203
San Diego, CA 92101
Office: 619-338-9981 Ext. 15

Salace
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
are you guys still interested in doing this or just getting a couple of games on? Im thinking about getting into the central florida soccer league if anyone is interested...

Paul
08-31-2009, 12:22 PM
are you guys still interested in doing this or just getting a couple of games on? Im thinking about getting into the central florida soccer league if anyone is interested...

??? mispost?

oc-audica
08-31-2009, 12:25 PM
salace looks phishy

Paul
08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
salace looks phishy

or just a hacked acct or worse virus! ZOMG!

Neccros
08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.sandiegomidnightmadness.org

im gonna do it i think.:tup:

I've wanted to do this but no one wanted to go with me LOL

bugzy
08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I've wanted to do this but no one wanted to go with me LOL
me and my gf went with Paul and Denise

was sooo much fun !! so much fun that I bought 2 mtn bikes this weekend after going to Midnight Madness ;)

Kate1point8
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
haha is it ironic that i didnt go?