PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Chargers?

mike
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
WTF? Seriously. L.A. is building a new stadium (which we have no team on the hook yet supposedly, or the money to build) they are breaking ground on this morning after the Governator bypassed a bunch of environmental laws and studies with his pen (thats a story for another thread). So as I was watching, this council member lady gets asked "What teams are you hoping to attract?" to which she spouts off a few names like Tennessee, Raiders (that would be funny) San Diego .................. "But hopefully the Chargers." The anchor gets real quiet.......... I know Qualcom isn't the nicest venue, but do you think they would leave? Nobody in their right mind would sign off on this or put up the cash (a conservatively LOW estimate of $800 Million is given) unless they had a new franchise from the NFL or secured a team to come.

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

TOYr32
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
chargers moving back to LA . . . not unreasonable . . .

creanium
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Here's a rundown on what's been going on down in San Diego:

The NFL has stated already they have no plans of expanding, so LA can only get an NFL team by sniping another franchise
The Chargers want to build a new stadium in San Diego.
The Chargers said they'd build the new stadium at the same site as Qualcomm Stadium. The City of San Diego owns the land under the stadium. The Chargers said "we will pay for the new stadium if you donate the land to us". The City said, "GTFO! That land is too valuable for us not to hold on to and eventually sell if necessary. Either buy it or no deal"
The Chargers then said, "well, we obviously can't work with the City on this one, let's look elsewhere, but keep it in SD County"
They've looked at several potential sites in Chula Vista, Oceanside, and now the newest contender, Escondido. Escondido is pretty new, but it's the most viable option right now.
The Chargers have an "escape clause" in their contract with the city that will allow them to leave the city at the end of this season if they pay the city $25 mil
The City and County of San Diego (governments) are scared shitless of losing the Chargers to LA. When that environmental exemption bill was still in the legislature, representatives from San Diego, including the mayor, went up to Sacramento to get the wording changed a bit. Basically, they wanted the bill to include a clause that prevented LA from taking an NFL franchise from CA, thus leaving the Chargers, Niners, and Raiders where they are. That motion failed.

So now you have a brand new football stadium being built in LA, with no team attached to it yet.

My feeling is, and this might be a bit biased, but LA already couldn't support two NFL teams. How is this time around going to be different? It's been my experience that LA cares a hell of a lot more about the Dodgers and Lakers than they would any NFL team.

creanium
10-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd imagine Jacksonville would be the best candidate to move. They can't sell out their home games, they have no corporate sponsor for the stadium, and that area of Florida cares more about college ball than professional.

But, Jacksonville's owner has basically stated that he will not move the team, nor will he sell the team to anyone wanting to move the team. He's 74 years old, and his children have no interest in inheriting the team, so he'll need to sell the team before he dies. I don't think there are very many potential buyers that wouldn't love to move the team out of Jacksonville.

PhätTony
10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
My buddy is a senior manager with the company who takes care of all concessions/security at Staples, Dodger Stadium, Honda Center, Angel Stadium for the most part (Aramark is being shoved out), and Nokia Theatre. They have also been contracted to LAFS. A loooooong time overdue.

The deal with the chargers is that their owner wants a new stadium, and SD will not give in. Therefore there could be one option....yessir!

It'll be right between the 57 and the 60Fwy. That's exactly why they've been working on the 60 itself by expanding the lanes.

http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/elevation-wireframe-big.gif

madajb
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Bring back the Buccaneers!

-ajb

PhätTony
10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Bring back the Buccaneers!

-ajb

eh? :confused: What do the Bucs have to do with LA?

The Chargers just spent one season in LA (1960), and they weren't even part of the now NFL.

My feeling is, and this might be a bit biased, but LA already couldn't support two NFL teams. How is this time around going to be different? It's been my experience that LA cares a hell of a lot more about the Dodgers and Lakers than they would any NFL team.

See now, your opening up a can of worms now. There's way more to your one sided story than this sparky. LA cares about what LA cares about just like any other team. We have our faithful and our fairweathers. Just like San Diego fans and New York fans. You can't judge loyalty by tickets sold or filling up stadiums or wearing a jersey or debating on how Tony Gwynn was a better all around player than Eddie Murray.

I'm a die hard Rams fan and have been since 1979. There's soooo much more to that move, including a evil witch of an owner Georgia Frontiere. The bees are buzzin now with those words you just said. Thems fightin words for Los Angelinos brotha.:D

BTW: We love our USC Trojan Dynasty and those other spoiled kids down the street at UCLA.

madajb
10-22-2009, 12:06 PM
eh? :confused: What do the Bucs have to do with LA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Buccaneers

It's funny. Laugh.

-ajb

creanium
10-22-2009, 12:46 PM
BTW: We love our USC Trojan Dynasty and those other spoiled kids down the street at UCLA.

Continuing to prove my point. Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Trojans, Bruins, Kings, Galaxy; what more does LA need?

(I could throw the Ducks in that list too since they play next door to the Angels, but they haven't changed their name to the "Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim" yet so they don't quite count as LA ;) )

audiracer2002
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Also, the Spannos' are friends with the main person involved in the new LA stadium. Apparently they've already told him they are not interested in moving. People can obviously change their minds, but I don't think the Chargers are going anywhere.

PhätTony
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM
If they want a new stadium, hell go ahead and threaten to move. Lots of teams did it in many different sports. Latest would be the Seattle Supersonics. More power to the team. Your losin money if you don't make a drastic change.

Best believe within 3 years of the stadium being built, there will be an NFL team to call it home.

"if you build it, they will come"

mike
10-22-2009, 07:38 PM
that new stadium is border LA/Riverside, its no where near LA, just LA county. Do we need an NFL team, IMO no. The only team that would make sense here from an already marketable fan base is the Raiders. I will bring my Glock and bullet proof vest to the games.

Carlos
10-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I will bring my Glock and bullet proof vest to the games.

LOL! I give you credit for not taking an assault rifle as well. Might seem you are outgunned at one of their events.

gtiador
10-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I heard the Rams are for sale but that they'd never move. I would personally hate to see the Raiders come back to Socal, but w/e, I would never go to a game anyways. As for worries about the cost of the stadium, isn't some development billionaire mogul guy fronting all of it?

In all honesty, I won't give two shits over whatever happens with this whole LA football thing since I don't follow the sport. I just better not get a bill from Arnie for it.

kmfdm
10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
i dont like the spot they chose. that interchange is a huge mess w/o a stadium. hell the 60w to 57n doesnt even have a connector. i know the people of diamond bar hate the idea but industry loves it...go figure. i think its a bad idea and location, but who am i? if la wants a damn team put the staduim in la and keep the homies outta the ie, we have enough of our own.

PhätTony
10-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Definate usage for the new LA Stadium.

Major Concerts
X-Games
USC TROJANS
UCLA BRUINS
LA GALAXY
HS Football championship games
NCAA Football Bowl game hopefully a new BCS venue.

Maybe they'll open up a 1/8 mile like at Qualcomm in the parking lot (hmmm)

Fact: RAIDERS are not coming back and are not welcome.

Fact: JACKSONVILLE, RAMS, CHARGERS, MINNESOTA are at the top of Majestics (company who was hired to construct and also built Staples, Dutch owned) list of possibilities. I wouldnt worry about getting a NFL team in so soon. They'll make their cash off all the above listed.

mike
10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
LOL! I give you credit for not taking an assault rifle as well. Might seem you are outgunned at one of their events.

HAHAHAHA, a cold day in hell before I'm outgunned, BUT a Raiders game (50K drunk felons) is another story. I would be out numbered!

godo do work
10-27-2009, 03:57 AM
LA doesnt need a football team. we have enough teams and we have been doingjust fine without one. if we do we have to make a brand new team. i dont want the rams, raiders, or any other nfl team. well maybe the patriots =). lol
THE LOS ANGELES PATRIOTS. SOUNDS GOOD

PhätTony
10-27-2009, 06:52 AM
LA hates the Patriots. Ever been to a Charger Patriot game in SD? The LA fans come down just to heckle the team coming into the airport all the way to the hotel then onto the field and back. I personally hate the Patriots. Belichek can keep his camera toting staff on the right coast.