PDA

View Full Version : Spring Sprint Triathon - May 2nd, 2010 (Lots of SCE people)

ncttrnl
01-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I wanted to throw this out there for anyone else that might be interested in completing a triathlon.

There are 5 SocalEuro people racing in the Spring Sprint triathlon in Mission Bay this year.

Its a really short course so its great for beginners and just flat out fun for the more experienced people. About 500 meters in the water, 9 miles on the bike, and 3 miles on the run.

They have a super sprint that is even shorter if you aren't sure about the distances. Most people get freaked out by the swim distance in their first race but there are usually swim buddies in the water that are there to do nothing else but swim along with the pack and keep the people that look nervous company/motivated.

We aren't big enough to have our own spot in the transition area but there will be plenty of us out there to support each other race morning or even during training before the race.

If you're gonna be racing, post up so we know who to look for.

Spring Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon (http://www.kozenterprises.com/Triathlons/sprintdf84.htm)

Paul
01-11-2010, 09:23 AM
You, Jon, Emily, who else?

ncttrnl
01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
You, Jon, Emily, who else?

Pretty sure John Crean and I thought Denise.

besthaticouldo
01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
im interested, but im not in good enough shape for it...yet.

ncttrnl
01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
im interested, but im not in good enough shape for it...yet.

If you don't sign up, you'll still only be "interested" on race day.

besthaticouldo
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
ok then heres some questions...maybe newb questions, but i've never really looked into it

1. do i need my own bike?
2. what kind of attire do you guys wear?
3. what kind of bikes do you guys use? (is there a place to rent one for the day?)
4. im looking at doing the duathlon...im in pretty good shape, but i haven't ran really since high school (22 now, still playing a lot of hockey), but i have time to train, anyone have any training suggestions?

Paul
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
1. yes or rent, or borrow. Nytro, B&L, Hollands, quite a few places rent.
3. road bike, triathlon specific (TT) bikes, or even mountain bikes, beach cruisers (short distance and for fun it doesn't matter really)

See mountain bike
http://cchanphotography.com/biking/tri/images/dsc_9572.jpg

hybrids
http://cchanphotography.com/biking/tri/images/dsc_9566.jpg

road bikes
http://cchanphotography.com/biking/tri/images/dsc_9543.jpg

time-trial/tri bikes
http://cchanphotography.com/biking/tri/images/dsc_9469.jpg

Paul
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Pretty sure John Crean and I thought Denise.

Denise is thinking about it but she hasn't registered yet. I think it's going to depend on her work/internship/class schedule

ncttrnl
01-11-2010, 10:10 AM
ok then heres some questions...maybe newb questions, but i've never really looked into it

1. do i need my own bike?
2. what kind of attire do you guys wear?
3. what kind of bikes do you guys use? (is there a place to rent one for the day?)
4. im looking at doing the duathlon...im in pretty good shape, but i haven't ran really since high school (22 now, still playing a lot of hockey), but i have time to train, anyone have any training suggestions?

Spring Sprint is a pretty laid back race. You will see some really hardcore people out there but there will also be a lot of first timers and people just out to have fun.

1. Your own bike would be easiest so that you can train on it before the race. Don't worry about having some crazy bike.

2. I wear a tri suit but you could wear a pair of board shorts and you wouldn't be out of place at all. You may want to rent a wetsuit for the swim if you aren't that confident in the water. They keep you warm but they also float so you can just bob around if you get tired or disoriented.

3. I have a road bike. You'll see a lot of time trial bikes. At this event, you'll also see beach cruisers, mountain bikes, commuter bikes, and sometimes even BMX bikes. Its only 9 miles so its not like you need anything super fancy.

4. Start slow and work your way up. Running is one of those things where you can hurt yourself by pushing too hard. Your first few runs are just going to be to get your body used to the impact. After that, you just keep adding small amounts to your distance.

I run three times per week. One day is run at the pace I would race at. The next day is a run at a pace just beyond what I think I can do. Sometimes I do sprints in the middle of this run. The last day is a longer run at a little slower than my race pace. In between, there is always a day or two off to rest.

When I started, I would run a half mile... then walk a block... then run a half mile... etc. I worked up to running the full distance I wanted to. Now I always run the entire distance but I increase the distance or increase the pace. I never try to increase distance and pace at the same time.

besthaticouldo
01-11-2010, 10:22 AM
cool....when i get paid i will probably try and pick a bike up off of craigslist. used is fine with me as long as it works.

thanks for the advice guys, i got my buddy talked into it, him and his GF are gonna do it. im gonna see if i can get my wife to go with me.

edit: wife says she'll do it, but she doesn't want to do the swimming, so that means the duathlon. but it's a start....sweet!

GTiGirl
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Hmmm... duathalon might be interesting... I'm not too sure about the swim. I'd be out there on a 24" BMX so it will be fun!

CALL AAA
01-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Paul forgot to mention 24" BMX bikes. And beach cruisers.

If I'm not at sea, I'm in.

gest24
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm seriously considering doing this event. It's after Sea Otter so coach says it's cool to do.

creanium
01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm registering once I get paid again. Will give me something for which to train.

Kyle H
01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
I just picked up an old road bike off of craigslist for tri training... I'm going to try and do the Feb 20th event. I'm fine with swimming a 500 and biking, but I'm terrible at running.

ncttrnl
01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Feb 20th? Which race is that?

Edit:

Nevermind... I just remembered it was Tritonman. That was my first race last year. The water is gonna be cold.

Its also gonna be dark on fiesta island in the morning. Bring a flashlight so you can set up your gear in transition.

Kyle H
01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the tips, I didn't even think about the darkness.

here's a link to that race if anyone else is interested...
UCSD Tritonman Triathlon 2010 | San Diego, California 92109 | Saturday, February 20, 2010 @ 6:15 AM (http://www.active.com/triathlon/san-diego-ca/ucsd-tritonman-triathlon-2010)