PDA

View Full Version : Man I got to get back in shape

mike
02-08-2010, 01:05 AM
I feel like shit. Seriously. My stamina isn't near what it use to be, I have back issues, etc. In my late teens to about my early 20's (legal drinking age, that was the drop off I guess) I use to be 220 lbs solid. Lift weights, run and fight. Fcuk I feel old, it sucks.

Now that I'm in my 30's, and my weight has crept slowly upward. I stepped on a scale today, 262. Holy shit! How did that happen?! (I am 6'4" so its not too bad) its mostly a beer gut. I like good food and drink so that has some attributing factor. My arms and legs are still rock solid.

The gym is out for now. I had a membership for years, but the last few years, I paid the fat tax. I started to go regularly for a few months, but with my long hours at work, when I get home I'm done, so I canceled it awhile ago. I'm going to get up and start running in the morning, sit ups, push ups, pull ups, etc all I can do without a gym pass. I hope to get back around 230, then I'm going to join an MMA gym. If I do it now, it will be bad since I will get my ass handed to me since I'm so out of shape I will end up barfing in the trash can and passing out. Anyone else go through this crisis and have some pointers other then get a medic alert bracelet keep my insurance card and next of kin #'s in my wallet? :D

karmakid
02-08-2010, 01:10 AM
dude i hear ya, well maybe not as bad but yepperz, i just need to get back in shape. we need to start some kind of work out group or one of us buy that p90x and pass around an educational version... take it today wasnt much help eh sir?

mike
02-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Best start now before you end up in my shoes. I knew this was a long time coming, and I kept putting it off.

karmakid
02-08-2010, 01:21 AM
yeah, today i decided to take the long way around the hospital, and boy those hills are biatches :P

i may just get a bike soon and join sly mike (TecharT) on those rides by the beach he does every weekend.

mike
02-08-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet, get up early 3-4 times a week and do my routine. Too many years of lifting pint glasses and good food. This is double torture. I love my food and drink, but feeling like shit isn't worth it. Moderation is the key as they say.

slowjet
02-08-2010, 01:26 AM
yeah, today i decided to take the long way around the hospital, and boy those hills are biatches :P

i may just get a bike soon and join sly mike (TecharT) on those rides by the beach he does every weekend.

Why don't you do some real biking and hit up the mountians with me? I'll whip u n shape real quick... lol

madajb
02-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Are you married and/or have a long-term girlfriend?

-ajb

karmakid
02-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Why don't you do some real biking and hit up the mountians with me? I'll whip u n shape real quick... lol

dude, hellz to the yeah, ill let ya know when i get one. airforce guys gotta stick together... yeah i know i wasnt in it but i did take all them test and said no thanks in the end. curse these glasses, i just wanted to fly T.T

-ajb

if ya sending it my way i would have to say "nope, no more". which kinda did put me in a downward spiral, well aided in it, but that's another story for another time.

mike
02-08-2010, 07:36 AM

-ajb

Good guess :D Yup. Working on year #9... that is also a contributing factor.

oc-audica
02-08-2010, 09:13 AM
whenever I start getting back into shape... first thing I cut is meals/food/snacks after 8pm. that tends to get the ball rollin :D slowly your appetite decreases imo... then you can shed some lbs by cutting meals back overall.

just suggesting that since the gym is out. combine it with some brisk 30min walks and you're golden... you will be back down to your fighting weight before the summer.

on my last little workout/diet "era" I dropped like 15lbs in 6 weeks doing just that. I was up over 300, and only 6'1". yek.

time for me to get back on it too. i get winded tooooooo easily. with my family history, we're talking life or death.

SYNYSTAGLI
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Wish you guys were closer...we could all do this shit together. I started gaining after Thanksgiving. I quit smoking and now i'm loving the taste of all foods...must get help :P I usually will go out for a walk with my dogs daily but since the rains

mike
02-08-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm going for a walk tonight, I have one of those "exercise" trails walking distance up a big hill from my house. That should do. But like you said Ricky, its the inbetween meal snacks. Since I'm on the run all day, the vending machine is my friend! I'm gonna go ghetto and chuck a weight bench in the front yard and some cinder blocks.

Manny, good for you on the quitting smoking. Thats great. Stick with it.

madajb
02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Good guess :D Yup. Working on year #9... that is also a contributing factor.

Well, then, your body has done its job. You've secured your genetic legacy and successfully fought off other contenders.
Let it have its graceful retirement.

-ajb

Kelly Girl
02-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Go easy...start with walking 2-3x a week, something you can easily commit to.

do this for 2-3 weeks, upping your pace. Start with a 20 minute mile, working up to a 15 minute mile.

after a month bump up to a light jog and try for a 12 minute mile.

By then you'll have your workout days carved into your schedule and you can introduce biking, weights and the like. The most important thing is to keep a schedule -- it doesn't matter WHAT you do.

Before you know it, you'll be up to 4-5 days a week with a regular workout schedule.

mike
02-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, then, your body has done its job. You've secured your genetic legacy and successfully fought off other contenders.

-ajb

You are too funny! Rep coming in!

I would let it retire, but I want to have more energy, and be able to climb five flights of stairs with ease and not die!

mike
02-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Go easy...start with walking 2-3x a week, something you can easily commit to.

do this for 2-3 weeks, upping your pace. Start with a 20 minute mile, working up to a 15 minute mile.

after a month bump up to a light jog and try for a 12 minute mile.

By then you'll have your workout days carved into your schedule and you can introduce biking, weights and the like. The most important thing is to keep a schedule -- it doesn't matter WHAT you do.

Before you know it, you'll be up to 4-5 days a week with a regular workout schedule.

What will you do if I get skinny? Love me more? I thought you liked my thunder, when it gets going, it keeps going! Momentum and physics work for everything you know! :p

TOYr32
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
^^ riding the wave of Mike huh . . . look slike someone is drinking the kool-aid

3THREE7
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Man I'm in the same boat, as in I need to get back in shape as well. Last summer I was working out pretty hard, ran 20-30 miles a week, lifted for a good 8-10 hrs/week, and even played some bball couple times a week. Then I went to the Philippines for a good month and kinda never got back into it. =/ My muscles right now feel like its the consistency of goo...

FunkTron
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM

-ajb

You are too funny! Rep coming in!

I would let it retire, but I want to have more energy, and be able to climb five flights of stairs with ease and not die!

thanks Mike....I tried....but couldn't

Arts_1_8t
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Man I'm in the same boat, as in I need to get back in shape as well. Last summer I was working out pretty hard, ran 20-30 miles a week, lifted for a good 8-10 hrs/week, and even played some bball couple times a week. Then I went to the Philippines for a good month and kinda never got back into it. =/ My muscles right now feel like its the consistency of goo...

you and me both, i lost 25lbs before i went to the philippines, constantly running. then when i got to the philippines and ate alittle bit, then forced to eat more by my lola...this happened consistently 3 times a day, i couldn't say no, and it tasted so good. and then my uncles got a hold of me, i started drinking a bit, san miguel beer or red roster, not my kind of beer, but i had to tagay with everybody in the nieghborhood, and thats alot of people in just one block, damn, make me wonder how i got home to my dad's.

now im back, trying to get back on my work out routine and stop eatting filipino food.

Slapshotnerd
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Track your food. People who track their food will lose twice as much weight than people who don't. That includes track WHEN you eat. Try and eat several smaller meals thru the day. I know it can be hard with your job, but be sure to snack on something thru the day. Start with something for breakfast (this is my biggest struggle), then a granola bar / some nuts / some fruit / etc late in the afternoon, a good solid lunch, (save some for later if you can!), a mid-afternoon snack (maybe 1/4 of your lunch?), and dinner. Don't eat too late.

My girlfriend has struggled with her weight her entire life. She's never been heavy, just a little on the 'thick' side. She did every diet in the book. Finally, last year, she committed to doing it the "right way" by going to the gym 5 times a week and watching what she eats. She's lost 65 pounds in the last year, several dress sizes (6 i think?), ran a full Marathon, and is continuing to be in the best shape of her life. It's all about lifestyle!!

Also, lots and lots of water. Another deficiency of mine. try to drink a glass every hour when at work. You have to force yourself at first, but you'll be wondering how you went without it in no time.

She uses Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate (http://www.thedailyplate.com) to help her track everything. It's not about counting calories, but more about being conscious of what and how you eat.

oc-audica
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I have noticed that when I eat a good breakfast I stay less hungry throughout the day.

take some healthy snacks to work

Kelly Girl
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
What will you do if I get skinny? Love me more? I thought you liked my thunder, when it gets going, it keeps going! Momentum and physics work for everything you know! :p

um, just remember i'll beat your ass ANYDAY in a bicycle race...

madajb
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
be able to climb five flights of stairs with ease and not die!
http://talesfromanopenbook.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/elevator.jpg

-ajb

oc-audica
02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
this guy :P ~ "ajb"

I also cannot rep him! someone do it, or ban

oc-audica
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
make it a tricycle race, and I'll put my $$ IN. (on who is yet to be decided)

Kelly Girl
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
make it a tricycle race, and I'll put my $$ IN. (on who is yet to be decided)

gonna need a big boy trike.. otherwise mike will bruise the SHIT outta his knees ( i think i still have my old trike)

xoutofstepx
02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Mike, lets go hiking! I have been a few times lately and it's way more fun than any other exercise.

My brother has lost around 40-50 pounds hiking and eating well.

Let me know when you want to go!

Kelly Girl
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
you know Mike, you might try eating vegetarian/vegan, look at Dan he's in spectacular shape!

xoutofstepx
02-08-2010, 03:08 PM
hahah Not even! I am not that overweight, but I am definitely not in shape. :) Thanks though!

karmakid
02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
you know Mike, you might try eating vegetarian/vegan, look at Dan he's in spectacular shape!

and move to loma linda, eat at the fine cuisine at the hospital cafeteria or other vegi shops they have in its radius

mike
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Alan, I actually take stairs over an elevator all the time, unfortunately, not enough!

^^ riding the wave of Mike huh . . . look slike someone is drinking the kool-aid

Don't be jealous, you know where I live. :D

Sure, DONE! We'll race see below............

gonna need a big boy trike.. otherwise mike will bruise the SHIT outta his knees ( i think i still have my old trike)

Trike it is. We will race ala Revenge of the Nerds. We will drink and ride our trikes in laps and see who wins. You can drink alot, but do not make the mistake of thinking you can drink me under the table, you will lose. Especially on a trike... (how do you get YOUR bruised knees?)

Mike, lets go hiking! I have been a few times lately and it's way more fun than any other exercise.

My brother has lost around 40-50 pounds hiking and eating well.

Let me know when you want to go!

Hiking would be great. Lets do it!

Fcuk off. Nope. Can't do it. I would rather have a gut or die of a heart attack after eating a steak or wings then die of protein deficiency like in a third world country. :p (there was a Vegan restuarant across from Roscoe's Dan, I'm not kidding either.)

Ivan
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Hey mike, if you feel like a fat slob like I did a while back, maybe
you should try some "cardio".
I know it sounds gay but I got a stationary bike and it boosted my energy tons.
That transferred into me having tons more endurance when I ride.

At first my gums where pulsing hard....for some reason.
I was drenched in sweat after 5 (5!) minutes. Winded as hell. Legs felt like they where going to turn to stone. Terrible.

Now it's hard to break a sweet after 20 minutes on that thing.
+ it gives you energy to start weight lifting. Don't get me started on that.
At first I could barely do 6 push up max!!! Like 2-3 months later I dropped 10lbs not really trying.

xoutofstepx
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Hiking would be great. Lets do it!

(there was a Vegan restuarant across from Roscoe's Dan, I'm not kidding either.)

When are you available? Only the weekends, right? We can go up to my brother's area(Pasadena) and hike up there with him. He tells me about cool spots up there.

Yeah, Orean's is pretty tasty. Vegetarian fast food! :tup2:

mike
02-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Cardio is fine. A stationary is great. I may look into that.

Dan there are plenty of places to hike in OC.

karl
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
We can go up to my brother's area(Pasadena) and hike up there with him. He tells me about cool spots up there.

Yeah, Orean's is pretty tasty. Vegetarian fast food! :tup2:

haha!! yeah, Orean is pretty good for vegetarian food. even more funny, is how theres a KFC right next door to Roscoes LOL! used to eat there quite frequently when i was a vegetarian. theres a few hiking spots up there that are cool. eaton canyon/jpl/some spot all the way up Lake ave (i forget the name)

xoutofstepx
02-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Cardio is fine. A stationary is great. I may look into that.

Dan there are plenty of places to hike in OC.

I know, I have been. ;) It's just something different to do. I would like to hike in new areas.

haha!! yeah, Orean is pretty good for vegetarian food. even more funny, is how theres a KFC right next door to Roscoes LOL! used to eat there quite frequently when i was a vegetarian. theres a few hiking spots up there that are cool. eaton canyon/jpl/some spot all the way up Lake ave (i forget the name)

Yeah it is quite tasty! I haven't been in a while.

We will probably hike Mt. Lowe/Echo Mountain. I will check out those areas as well. Thanks!

Kelly Girl
02-09-2010, 08:17 AM
so i'm thinking we need a tricycle race at the big GTG this year... any takers?

PhätTony
02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I hear ya broski, I started up with a personal trainer in November after I got to 195. 35% body fat on BMI. I was truly sickened. After I got out of the Active side I weighed in at 150ish. In 2007 I started to put on the weight I always wanted. Up to 165 in 2008 I just let it all go. So this year when I reached 30 in September with Allison on the way I put on the sympathy weight up to 195. I pay out of the butt but I'm down to 183 now, 1.5 inches on the guns. belly down to 36 (not waiste), and my eating so much more sound.

It got so bad where I failed my reserve PRT 2 times in a row. With three failed in 4 years you get the boot. So thats when I knew I had to get into gear. If there are any runners around the IE area or workoutaholics, I'd be glad to join up with ya. Need some motivation.

GTiGirl
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
so i'm thinking we need a tricycle race at the big GTG this year... any takers?

Only if we can completely reenact Revenge of the Nerds!

Kelly Girl
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
me likey!!