PDA

View Full Version : the yike bike

dylan5990
03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
YikeBike - The world's first super light electric folding bike. | Urban Freedom (http://www.yikebike.com/site/gallery/video/yikebike-discovery-channel)

this thing looks awesome! :tup:

ncttrnl
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
It looks like a penny farthing for people that need something to replace their outdated segways.

mitssn
03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
$4,500! it's expensive to be lazy huh?

Paul
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
It looks like a penny farthing for people that need something to replace their outdated segways.

The creators even call it a penny farthing. The thing is compared to a segway this is a hell of a lot more practical. It's super compact, and under 10kg. Great as an interim transport between train and office for example.

bugzy
03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
i like it !! price is high, but the idea is awesome

ive always thought would work perfect in city type environments

in Taiwan, i thought would be nice to have a bike, to get on subway or bus, then get on a bike, but its a pain to bring a bike around with you, but the yikebike would be a good fit for that situation

ncttrnl
03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
The creators even call it a penny farthing. The thing is compared to a segway this is a hell of a lot more practical. It's super compact, and under 10kg. Great as an interim transport between train and office for example.

Its not all that compact. Its the size of a GIANT briefcase and you'd have still have to lug it in and out of said train and train station as well as your office.

Regular bikes may be inconvenient but they are cheap.

This thing is neither convenient nor cheap.

Paul
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Its not all that compact. Its the size of a GIANT briefcase and you'd have still have to lug it in and out of said train and train station as well as your office.

Regular bikes may be inconvenient but they are cheap.

This thing is neither convenient nor cheap.

I disagree. this thing is very compact compared to a bike. A bike won't fit under your desk. This thing will easily tuck under a desk even in a cube. Or simply lean up against one side of your cube. 10Kg isn't a lot to lug around a train station. It's a lot easier to move through a crowd than a bicycle.

bugzy
03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I disagree. this thing is very compact compared to a bike. A bike won't fit under your desk. This thing will easily tuck under a desk even in a cube. Or simply lean up against one side of your cube. 10Kg isn't a lot to lug around a train station. It's a lot easier to move through a crowd than a bicycle.
I agree.

Whenever I travel, i lug around my backpack with a laptop and my camera gear and misc. Thats easily more than that bike weights. If the price was maybe say, $1000-1500 range, it would be reasonable and practicial. If they came up with a way to strap it more like a backpack or advance the method of carrying it, it would work great.

I could see people using this daily to work if you live in the city.

Overall, i think if they improve those 2 things, this would be a great transportation mechanism for city life

Kelly Girl
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
meh. that thing's a piece....

this one's cooler: http://www.dahon.com/bikes/2010/boost and $2500

oh and we have folding bikes here in the US... http://us.dahon.com

shamless plug FTW

Paul
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
twice as heavy, but a bit more practical in that it can carry stuff on the back

Kelly Girl
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
twice as heavy, but a bit more practical in that it can carry stuff on the back

you can fold it up and carry it in a bag or in a rolling case

TOYr32
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
pre-ordered on . . . I'll have one of these and a jet pack . . . I'll be the coolest guy at my work!

gtiador
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Just pray you don't hit a curb. I can't wait for the Yike Bike ownage videos on YouTube.