PDA

View Full Version : Rock n Roll Marathon

boragirl
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here in awhile (dang grad school) but was curious if anyone is planning on running the San Diego RnR Marathon in June? I don't currently know of anyone doing it but it'd be nice to know some people there =)

-Melissa

CALL AAA
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I'll probably do the half. I leave for sea shortly after that, and I need to be able to walk and load my aircraft and stuff. I guess if I get some decent training in before then, I might do the whole thing.

Get_the_van
03-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I know a couple squares that are doing it...

They are probably running right this minute as a matter a fact... :D

Props to you!!!

boragirl
03-28-2010, 05:41 PM
nice! i just found out a couple of my friends are doing the marathon/half as well. has anyone ever run this race before? my dad sent me a picture of the start and now i'm a little concerned about the massive crowds slowing things down =/

CALL AAA
03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
I was walking up the street when the gun went off. I got up there, waited in line for a porta-potty, and then stretched, then walked to the start line with thousands of other people. I started with the 5 hour people, thinking I would run a lot faster. If you can get up into your corral (for your projected finish time) do that. If you can't, don't worry about it. You'll just have to run past slower people until you catch up with people of similar speed. It's pretty crazy. There are people EVERYWHERE.

boragirl
03-29-2010, 09:56 AM
thanks for the tip, i will definitely try to get there early enough to make my way into the right corral. i know it can be nice for your confidence to pass tons of people, but i also don't wanna waste too much energy doing it... plus it'll be easier to find the right person to pace off of... yay i'm getting so excited already haha.

CALL AAA
04-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I wasted a lot of energy passing the people in the 4:30-5:00 corrals, only to finish at 5:00:45. That was my first 26.2, though. I didn't know what to expect.
I do 2:00 in the half, so I figured I would do 4:00 in the full marathon. Not so.
There's a saying that the half-way point of the marathon is mile 20. M-F'in' true that!
I did 2:00 at 13.1, right on schedule. Then I took 3 hours to do the second half. The last 6 miles took me an hour.
And what did I learn from this? (gather 'round. I'm about to impart wisdom)
I learned that you need to familiarize yourself with the sports drink they serve on the course. This year it is Cytomax. So as your attorney, I advise you to do a few of your training runs with it, to see how your body likes it.
I had never tried the shit they served during the 2008 race, until race day. I started drinking it during it at about mile 15. At mile 18, I felt kind of crappy, and by 20, I thought I was going to puke. I could only run for 1/4 mile stretches, then I had to walk until the pukey feeling went away.
I thought it was just me, until I talked to a regular 3:30 finisher. He barfed a few times, and added 20 minutes to his time. He says that he talked to a lot of people who got sick, and they think it was the milk protein in the drink (Powerade, maybe?) that had been sitting in the sun. Not good.
So now I'm working on carrying something so I can mix my own drinks on the course. I started carrying a running bottle, with a concentrate of the stuff I usually use. I squirt it into a water cup, and drink that. Then a water to wash it down. It works ok.

Have you read all the do's and don'ts about running? There's a ton of stuff to remember. Some of it sounds silly, (band-aids on your nipples) but it will make a huge difference in the middle of the race. Your results may vary. I ignored that one, because I had never had a problem, but 10 miles into the race, I hit my zen moment, running up the 163, smearing Vasoline on my nips. Another mile, and I would have been one of those bloody messes, crossing the finish line.
Enough about my nipples.
Sunscreen - load up
Carbs - eat them. Load up the day before. ( I ate everything that was handed out on the course, including cookies and pretzels handed out by spectators)
Potassium - have your friends give you bananas somewhere on the course.
Don't try anything new on race day. Clothes, food, iPod, headphones.
Look for the photographers, so you can look strong for your pictures.
Want fans? Write your name on your shirt in big letters. You'll have thousands of screaming fans. Can be motivating, can get annoying.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure there's more.

boragirl
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
thanks again for the advice! i consider myself a good runner but i've only done one actual marathon before so it's nice to hear what others have to say. i've heard that about the 'halfway' point being at 20 miles, but i do think that has a lot to do with how you trained as well. if you've put in the right training, you should be able to avoid the 'wall'.

that's really interesting about what happened with the cytomax! that could have gone really badly for me too, especially since i don't eat dairy. i actually just train with water and goo though, so i wasn't really planning drinking their sports drink, but now i def will resist the urge if i start feeling like it later in the race, yikes. i haven't been sticking to a particular brand of gel when i train and haven't had problems, so hopefully that'll work out OK... i guess i should probably check to be safe though.

i'm not sure how much i agree with loading up on carbs the day before. before tri's i've always tried to stick to my usual diet and eat a lighter dinner. from a physiological standpoint, eating extra carbs will just turn to fat since you're not using them... but i guess everyone has their own opinion so whatever works for you (i knew people who would eat huge breakfasts before ironman since they knew it would be their last real meal for a LONG time... but i could barely choke down a bowl of oatmeal)!

so have you decided yet if you're running the full or the half? i'm really interested to see how this goes. my optimistic goal is a little over 3:20 but my realistic goal is 3:30, so if all goes well i should fall somewhere between the two... but you never know what might actually go down on race day =)

CALL AAA
04-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was going to be your first. So you already know a lot of what to expect.
You actually reminded me to eat oatmeal. I always forget about oatmeal.

The stuff that made me sick in 2008 was Powerade. This race will have Cytomax. I'm willing to bet that they got complaints about the Powerade. I guess there was a lot of discussion about it in various running forums. The course is also going to be quite a bit different than it has been in previous years.

"i consider myself a good runner"
At 3:20? Yup, you're a good runner.

boragirl
05-23-2010, 10:52 AM
2 weeks!! anyone change their mind? ;)

CALL AAA
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I've decided not to run at all.

ncttrnl
06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I was tempted to sign up for RnR but I haven't done any meaningful training in the last month and I had expected that was going to be the case. I'm going to do the AFC Half in August just because I've never done a half by itself.

Good luck this weekend!