PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a bike for my dad. suggestions please

huitzi
07-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone, my dads birthday is coming up in about a month and i want to get him a bike, he was talking a about doing the Rosarito- Ensenada run or something like that. Hes 61 years old but you can say hes in good shape, he's about 5'5 and 130lbs . I want to get him something that would be comfortable for him but i have no clue what to look for and pretty much i know nothing about bikes, so any help would be great. thanks

ncttrnl
07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
It kinda depends on his riding style.

I'd probably start by looking at hybrid bikes. Hybrid doesn't mean electric. They're a cross between a road bike and a commuter bike. Its like a road bike with slightly wider tires to go over rougher roads and a little bit more relaxed riding position. They would easily handle a 50 mile ride without looking out of place.

Surprise him by taking him to a bike shop to try out the different styles and find his proper frame size. 50 miles can really make your ass, back, and everything else hurt on a poorly fitted bike.

huitzi
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
It kinda depends on his riding style.

I'd probably start by looking at hybrid bikes. Hybrid doesn't mean electric. They're a cross between a road bike and a commuter bike. Its like a road bike with slightly wider tires to go over rougher roads and a little bit more relaxed riding position. They would easily handle a 50 mile ride without looking out of place.

Surprise him by taking him to a bike shop to try out the different styles and find his proper frame size. 50 miles can really make your ass, back, and everything else hurt on a poorly fitted bike.

thats gonna be hard to do, hes the kind of guy that doesnt want presents or people doing things for them. if i take him he'll probably end up picking the cheapest bike or simply say he doesnt need one.

TecharT
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Go to the bike store. Give them your dad's stat's, And thye will take care of the rest. But The Hybrid Is the true way to go.