PDA

View Full Version : One Life Ends and Another Begins

Batrugger
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Today I have reached the the point where I have 30 days of work left in my career with the Army. It has been an odyssey that began on 7 Feb 19987 with the Utah Army National Guard, spanned 8 countries and three states, and will end with just over 20 years of active service and almost 26 years of total service. I am glad that I am finally getting out. Recruiting the last 12 years has been a seriously stressful job that has taken it's toll on my mind and body, and frankly I am just burned out and sick of it. This last year has really been the worst of my career and I am ready for a new beginning even though I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Although I am retiring and will be getting a pension, I am going to lose 2/3rds of my current income which creates a whole new level of stress. The other day I took a long hard look at myself and decided I didn't like what I saw. The stress of my job, the odd hours, eating on the road, and lack of exercise have really hurt my body and health. I figure that this is the first thing I need to change. I just found out about a 90 day challenge that I am starting. My goal is to lose 30 lbs and improve my health. You have got to check it out:

http://wesandkelliviselli.myvi.net/

I know it won't be easy, but I have a plan, support, my wife Kelli who is joining me, and a great tool to be successful. Also I figure if I announce it here, I have to follow through. I am going to start posting my weekly progress so join me as I work to transform my body and health and soon you will see an all new Wes.

rysskii3
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
good luck on the "new life". The military does suck from one point of view, but from the other side, its different. i have been out since late 09 and damn dude, i cant wait to go back in. steady pay, good benefits, great people, and so much more. i found the civilian life sucks more than the military. civilians cant do shit right, nothing but excuses.
anyways, what happened to PRT and all the mandatory exercise?

Batrugger
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
what happened to PRT and all the mandatory exercise?

12 years of recruiting. I haven't had a regular work week schedule in years. Lot's of driving, odd work hours, and bad eating habits. Not to mention the unimaginable stress of trying to find those two enlistments every month.

karl
08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I hope you achieve your goal and surpass it. I've in the last 4 months joined a crossfit gym and go 3 on 1 off and its changed my attitude. I feel being fit lends itself to eating well. There's too many positives to a healthy lifestyle than the average beer after work and snack on the couch and zone out on the tv lifestyle

TOYr32
08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I just had this conversation with an AF buddy of mine. He's almost in the same boat, 9 years as an officer and now he's worried about what he's going to do in the civilian world. I had a different experience because I did 9 years in the reserves. I was lucky because I go to experience the organization and discipline of military service, while also having a civilian career to build on. So here's my $.02 . . .

1. Don't expect transitions to be easy, there is going to be a huge learning curve no matter where you land. Perfect example is in the military it's "Hurry up and wait!". In the civilian world its "Wait, wait, wait . . . then hurry the fuck up because you waited too long!" Procrastination plagues the civilian world, and it can be one of the more frustrating things to deal with.

2. Expect to start in a much lower position than you held in the military. Doesn't matter if you were a master sergeant in communications . . . you're probably going to start as an IT helpdesk admin. It's nothing personal, but with your training and adaptability, you should be able to make career advances much faster then that knucklehead out of college.

3. Speaking of ranks, civilians don't care how old you are, or what rank you hold. You need to remember to speak to the mailboy just like you'd speak to the CEO, with a little respect. It's not like in the military where respect is given first, then earned. You can't harass people like you normally would, people don't generally like pet names. I think you've got a leg up on this being a recruiter.

4. It's gonna suck at first. You'r probably used to knowing exactly what you're going to do that morning, that week, that month. You know why you wake up, and why you're an important player in your organization. As a civilian, you'll essentially be starting over, so it's gonna take some time to figure that out. It's going to exhaust you at times. But you gotta figure, how long did it take you to adjust to the big green weenie?

5. Next time I need to read the whole post to figure out what the hell the real topic is!! GL with the weight loss. I recently started the Daily 7 with my wife. It's been kicking our ass, but it feels really good just doing it again. I had back to back babies so I've gained quite the weight with no incentive to lose it.

SYNYSTAGLI
08-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Good for you Wes!!!! I'm on a lose weight deal right now as well, but not gonna be as vigorous as yours ;)

SYNYSTAGLI
08-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I just had this conversation with an AF buddy of mine. He's almost in the same boat, 9 years as an officer and now he's worried about what he's going to do in the civilian world. I had a different experience because I did 9 years in the reserves. I was lucky because I go to experience the organization and discipline of military service, while also having a civilian career to build on. So here's my $.02 . . .

1. Don't expect transitions to be easy, there is going to be a huge learning curve no matter where you land. Perfect example is in the military it's "Hurry up and wait!". In the civilian world its "Wait, wait, wait . . . then hurry the fuck up because you waited too long!" Procrastination plagues the civilian world, and it can be one of the more frustrating things to deal with.

2. Expect to start in a much lower position than you held in the military. Doesn't matter if you were a master sergeant in communications . . . you're probably going to start as an IT helpdesk admin. It's nothing personal, but with your training and adaptability, you should be able to make career advances much faster then that knucklehead out of college.

3. Speaking of ranks, civilians don't care how old you are, or what rank you hold. You need to remember to speak to the mailboy just like you'd speak to the CEO, with a little respect. It's not like in the military where respect is given first, then earned. You can't harass people like you normally would, people don't generally like pet names. I think you've got a leg up on this being a recruiter.

4. It's gonna suck at first. You'r probably used to knowing exactly what you're going to do that morning, that week, that month. You know why you wake up, and why you're an important player in your organization. As a civilian, you'll essentially be starting over, so it's gonna take some time to figure that out. It's going to exhaust you at times. But you gotta figure, how long did it take you to adjust to the big green weenie?

5. Next time I need to read the whole post to figure out what the hell the real topic is!! GL with the weight loss. I recently started the Daily 7 with my wife. It's been kicking our ass, but it feels really good just doing it again. I had back to back babies so I've gained quite the weight with no incentive to lose it.

Good shit!!!! i would have thanked you for the post but for some reason I can't thank you.....too many probably :D

VWaGoGo
08-07-2012, 04:35 PM
An option might be to go back into the Military as a civilian. I am a DoD civilian and I know alot of people go back in after retirement as a DoD civilian. Good luck with the weight loss. Eating healthy and exercise is a lifestyle change that will make you feel great inside and out! Its never to late to change your life.

Batrugger
08-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey everybody thanks for the advice and encouragement. The recruiting has kind of kept me linked to the civilian world so I am not too out of touch, but you are right about the career going backwards. I made some really good money and most of it was non-taxable income. I can pretty much get a guaranteed job at Ft Irwin, but the 70 mile one way commute is not something I want to do. I also really don't want to do sales or recruiting or any type of commute so it is going to be tough to find something that will work. I got enrolled in college and I will be getting GI Bill income with my retirement pay so that will help. I am working on my disability claim and it looks like I might get rated at 70%, but the claims are backlogged so I won't be seeing any of that income anytime soon. The paycheck ends on December 1st, so I have a little time to find something. The weight loss is just something I can do now and I'm doing it with my Kelli so we are both making each other work at it and that just makes it easier.

CALL AAA
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey, congratulations! I just hit 19 years last week, and retirement has been the #1 thought in my head for quite some time now.
Don't think of it as having your income cut by 2/3. You're going back to work, right? Think of it as starting another job and earning whatever they pay you PLUS your pension. So if a company starts you at $50,000, you're really going to be making $70,000. Starting at $70,000? Not bad. Granted, you went through a lot of years to get that pension, but there it is.

CALL AAA
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
By the way, how did you end up recruiting for the last 12 years? Was it by choice or MOS? How does that work for the Army?
In the Navy, whatever your rate (MOS, job) you have the "chance" to go recruiting. I say "chance" because it's not something I wanted to do. It does give you a pretty good leg up in the advancement rat race, but I joined the Navy to fly in helicopters and for nothing else. (that's a small part of why I am happily retiring as an E-6)

Batrugger
08-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Congrats on your retirement too. Make sure you start working on your separation now. Start getting all of your medical docs together and make sure that you get anything that you think may be wrong with your health checked out and documented. If you snore, request a sleep study done to be checked for sleep apnea. It is considered a 50% disability. If you don't get these thing documented before you get out, it is hard to claim them later.

Recruiting was a choice. I was a combat engineer and with the time in the field, deployments, and the physical toll it was taking on my body made me decide it was a good way to get stabilized and be home almost every night. I did three years as an active Army recruiter and then switched to the National Guard. The Guard kept me local and I was able to buy a home without the worry of being stationed somewhere else every three years. I agree with you that this is an oppurtunity to start another career in addition to my pension. Unfortunately I live in Hesperia, next to Victorville, and in order to make good money you need to commute. Right now I'm not going to do it, but if things get tough then I'll do what needs to be done. Also like most I am upside down on the house, not bad, but still in the hole so moving is going to require walking away from my house.

Batrugger
08-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Well two weeks into this I have lost 10 lbs and I am not even exercising yet. I'm losing weight and I feel great. If I keep I going like this I am going to hit my goal of 30lbs long before the 90 days.

Batrugger
08-31-2012, 10:15 AM
So happy right now. It is now day 26 of my 90 day challenge. I have been drinking a Vi shake for breakfast and lunch, eating light healthy snacks in between, still drink my morning coffee, and have a regular dinner every night. I do this during the week and then on the weekends I relax a little and just have a shake for breakfast. I also still drink alcohol when I want to and I have not been working out. This morning I did a weigh in and I was down 14 lbs. That is 14 lbs in 26 days and I am not even trying hard. I also have more energy and am sleeping better at night. This really works and it is too easy.

http://3isamagicnumber.myvi.net/challenge

Batrugger
09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
My wife and I went out on Saturday night and she was able to wear a dress that she bought 2 years ago and has never been able fit in and I was able pull my kilt up over my waist with out unsnapping it. Seeing the lbs drop off on the scale is cool, but when you start fitting into clothes that you couldn't wear before really let's you know that things are working. My son decided to join us too since he needs to lose some weight.

CALL AAA
09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
But you're not even exercising? Just eating right? Thats pretty good!

Batrugger
09-04-2012, 03:38 PM
A big part of it are the two shakes I drink for lunch and breakfast. They are only 90 cal each and they really fill you up. I have tried other shakes and weight loss products, but these are the only ones that have really actually worked for me. The are very nutritious, there are hundreds of recipes, and I feel great. Even after I lose the weight that I want to I will still be drinking a shake a day for breakfast. You can check it out here:

http://3isamagicnumber.myvi.net/challenge

RBE9
09-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Pretty cool to see that happen in a month.

Batrugger
09-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I think it is pretty cool too. Weigh in tomorrow :tup2:

Batrugger
09-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Well I weighed in today and in the last 39 days I have lost 18 lbs. I am now below 260 lbs where I haven't been in years. My wife has lost 13 lbs. My son joined us because he needed to lose weight and he is also dropping weight. All of this is because of Visalus. It is the only weight loss supplement I have ever tried that works.

http://3isamagicnumber.myvi.net/loseweight