Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Little Red Volks-Wagon
    Images
    Thanks

Little Red Volks-Wagon

Little Red Volks-Wagon

Words and Photos: Brad Harvey – daygoVR6, socaleuro.com
    click on vehicle images to view larger

In the European tuning world, you are more likely to see conventionalism than you are to see individuality. Too many times you find trends becoming a little too popular when visiting shows, going to weekly gatherings, or just driving down the freeways in Southern California. Only once in a while do you run across a car that has been transformed to give it a look all its own, and not look like the same car you just saw two rows down at a car show. Sometimes, finding the right look takes extra effort, but it can give you an edge over everyone else.

When Boris Kodizc first came across his 2001 VW Golf two door, his Honda Civic had just been stolen and he was searching for something that wasn’t like every other vehicle on the road. He had always wanted a European car, and was likely influenced by helping out a friend with the build up of an MKII GTI. His plans for the Golf were like most others; making simple modifications as time and money allowed. He thought this would be a simple task, but after three years of ownership, the car has seen multiple wheels changes and three major body changes to match its personality.

“I’m actually on my 6th set of wheels, if you count the ones that were on it when I first bought it,” he says. Currently the car rolls on a set of ADR TZ16 18x8s combined with 235/40R18 Falken Azenis RT615 tires. Suspension duties are handled with a set of Neuspeed race springs along with KYB GR2 shocks. Kodizc also installed a set of Powerslot rotors to help keep the VW under control during hard driving.

To full fill Kodizc’s need to be different from everyone else in the parking lot, the body styling has been rearranged many times. Originally the car was given an Oettinger lip, side skirts and rear valance; it wasn’t long before the front lip was swapped for a JMS piece. That along with the addition of a carbon fiber hood and blacked out MKIV GTI headlamps really had the car standing out in a crowd. At this point most people might be happy with what they accomplished, but Kodizc wanted more. To take the car to the next level, he borrowed an idea he first saw on a MKII GTI for his own Golf.

“I was seeing too many other Volkswagens with the same look as mine when I would attend car shows, and I wasn’t really sure what I could do aside from go to an extreme that would make the car impossible for day to day use,” Kodizc explains. After a long Saturday afternoon, and with the help of some friends, the front end was completely restyled with the now-popular “JTI swap.” Basically the front-end from a MK IV Jetta became the donor for the hood, fenders, front bumper and grill. In addition, GLX headlamps, a GLI lower valance and a Bonrath badgeless grille with notch filler were installed. At the same time the Oettinger side skirts came off and were replaced with Reiger.

With a two-liter four cylinder between the wheel wells, gobs of horsepower are not something this car can relate to. “At the time I wasn’t really thinking what kind I wanted so I decided to go with this Golf and worry about horsepower later,” Kodizc explains. To give the car a bit more boost a K&N drop-in filter was installed, along with a Magnaflow cat-back system. Future plans involve swapping in a VR6 or maybe a 1.8T. A five-speed manual transmission combined with a Sparco shift knob allows Kodizc to row through the gears.

The interior styling is a combination of comfort and style to fit right along with his image. Sport seats out of an ‘05 GTI combined with the center console and arm rest out of a 20th Anniversary GTI give it a look all its own. Kodizc did the I.C.E. install all himself, starting with a Kenwood head unit including Sirius Satellite and MP3 playing capabilities. The Sony 1000-watt amp combined with a Rockford Fosgate 1farad capacitor has been built into a custom enclosure mounted in the spare tire well. The power is feeding a 12-inch Kicker subwoofer combined with a set of Kicker tweeters and Eclipse mids throughout the rest of the interior.

Style, function, and drivability have combined in this Southern California cruiser to create a car that most Volkswagen fans would envy. Not to be outdone, the Golf went through a major styling change a week after the photo shoot. “Too many people were doing the JTI swap so I changed things around to make me happy,” he explains. Now the front end has been changed to the GTI front end with the combination of E-code glass headlamps, a Kamei front grill and Rieger front lip to keep the personality of the car all its own.
    When I asked Kodizc if he planed on changing the car around even more he told me the rims would be the next to be changed. He can’t seem to find a set with which he is truly happy and fits the look
    of the car. With as many times over as this car has been changed I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes to an even more extreme level with a complete overhaul.

Vehicle Info

Year/Make/Model- 2001 VW Golf
    Owner – Boris Kodizc Location – National City
    Occupation - Self employed
    Engine - 2 liter 8 valve
    Engine Modifications - K&N Drop in filter, Magnaflow 2 ¼ cat back exhaust.
    Transmission - 5 speed, manual transmission.
    Suspension - Neuspeed race springs, KYB GR2 shocks and struts.

Exterior / Body mods - Jetta font end conversion, GLX headlights, bonrath badgeless grille with notch filler, GLi front lower valance, Rieger side skirts, Oettinger rear valance, (some sub company of ADR) wheels TZ16 8x18 with Falken azenis RT615. (235/40/18) Power slot brake rotors.

Interior mods (include I.C.E.) - Sparco shift knob, 2005 GTi sport seats, short shifter, 20th anniversary center console, with arm rest, Kenwood cd/MP3/Sirius radio player, eclipse audio internal speakers, kicker tweeters, Kicker 12in. subwoofer, 1000 watt Sony amp, Rockford Fosgate 1 farad cap, custom enclosure in spare tire compartment.

Quick shout outs, thanks to, quick plug - I would like to thank all of my friends, and family, my girl for putting up with me and my car obsession, Troy from Group 5, and all the SoCalEuro members for their input and their ideas.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by wikedgolf; 07-10-2006 at 04:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

Re: Little Red Volks-Wagon

2 door not 4 door

Devil's Advocate Moderator paultakeda's Avatar
    Thanks

That pun in the title is... ack.

Thanks

ha ha boris! you sucka
    :smokem:

Images
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paultakeda
    srsly....

Save the Boobies!!!!! Moderator Tom's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks

You had your shot in pre-press.

Northwestern Ambassador Administrator madajb's Avatar
    Thanks

It's supposed to be punny?
    Here I was about to correct the typo...
    -ajb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madajb
    It's supposed to be punny?
    Here I was about to correct the typo...
    -ajb
    There's pun in there? Where?

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter 1stKnight's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats...

Yo Boris, your the man...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    You had your shot in pre-press.
    I don't correct puns. Puns are intentional and are MEANT to generate that reaction. Otherwise, why would people emote ba-dam-pump anytime someone makes a pun? Perhaps I should have said that instead of ack.

Here:

Ba-dam-pump

Images
    Thanks

Re: Congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stKnight
    Yo Boris, your the man...
    you're.

Thanks

I think I should start saving up for new wheels. 18" appears to be a nice fit.

Thanks

i had no clue that car was a 2.0. nice work on the body though.

i see you around laguna every once in a while.

SoCalEuro Member ohheycheckmeout's Avatar
    Thanks

im the one you see around laguna...

thats a different car

i do have a 1.8t though
    Currently nothing... its kinda strange

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohheycheckmeout
    im the one you see around laguna...

thats a different car

i do have a 1.8t though
    you ever gonna show up for oc meet?

Thanks

Nice!

Images
    Thanks

Thanks guys for the comments, corrections and anything i missed out on.
    Thanks Brad for the write up and the pics. Really appreaciate it man.
    Kinda sorry the cat looks completely different now.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Sick! Props to you Pimp Juice!