Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project 120 wagon - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks

Re: New Project started ;)

Any more progress Doug??
    2006 SAAB 9-5 Aero

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevehayes01
    Any more progress Doug??
    no not lately. Well... I have stuff in the works but nothing to really show pictures of yet.

... I might have just found the project car for theresa I've been looking for ... for about the last 3 years.

you guys will know soon :-D

Images
    Thanks

Man you and all your cool projects..... I am so damn jealous!! The wife put the foot down on anymore projects until I get all my current ones sorted out... Oh well.....
    2006 SAAB 9-5 Aero

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Got this the other day courtesy of Travis @ SVR (aka brickpilot)

big thanks to Travis!! I actually have another one enroute from him soon :badboy: dats right... oh noes... 2 project cars hehehe

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Couple boxes showed up today

was to good a deal to pass up. 10 65mm 960 TB's

Also got this too

complete engine to ign switch M4.3 OBDI harness. :-D

Thanks

Doug, do you have any more pics of what this motor will be going in. Awesome work, I always enjoy reading your threads!
    Last edited by Woody; 12-10-2006 at 02:17 PM.
    If I have enough room to pass you, you have enough room to move out of my way.

Images
    Thanks

Man I cant wait to see this one when its finished doug! Thanks for the samco hookup by the way!
    2006 SAAB 9-5 Aero

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Doug, do you have any pics of what this motor will be going in? Or are you building it for someone else? Awesome work, I always enjoy reading your threads!
    You know I can't believe I didn't have them on here.

Actually its good... the "252" got put on hold again. Theresa doesn't know it yet but I bought her this: http://snapandshare.com/photo_view-u...-fn-857385.htm

Its sitting at a buddies house atm, she doesn't know about it yet. Its going to be her xmas present ;-) (luckily she doesn't surf here).

Already have these: http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/15/set49cu.jpg wheels for it. Going to paint the rest of the car laguna seca blue. Got alot of custom tricks in mind for it... but Im figuring a midly built T5 motor. 2871R and our set of custom cams should make for an intresting ride. The car only weighs 2300lbs stock, I figure I'll probably be 2500 lbs by the time I finish.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
    Man I cant wait to see this one when its finished doug! Thanks for the samco hookup by the way!
    Me too :-D Hey anytime bud, Joes a good guy.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Re: Project 120 wagon

Managed to start a bit on the car. Since it might be a while before I can tear the car apart I have to do some 'winter-proofing" due to the fact the car sits outside from time to time.

Pulled any remaining carpet and insulation out of the car. Attacked the sound deadner to make sure there wasn't any rust underneath. The DS floor pan had a pretty fair amount of surface rust but feels structurally stout still. The rest was pretty nice.

(still love playing with the rear hatch on this thing)

great vintage speedo love that thing

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

3 of the 4 pans stripped, cleaned and painted.

that por15 chassis black is kind of ugly, but this will be all under sound deadner and carpet when the car is done (and water tight)

Rolled over Scotts motor and busted out the tape measure.

the nastiness

After doing some rough measurements, I know Im going to have to go with a Standalone and run coil on plug. I was hoping the distributor would clear the heater box but just doesn't look like its going to.

There are some other concerns I have, mostly with the accessories (AC compressor in particular) and the steering box. I've had the idea I was going to convert the car to a power steering rack and pinion box but there might be some issues getting the steering shaft to snake around the a-arms. All in due time, with out being able to physically set the motor in the car its tough to say.

So tomorrow I'll finish up the last pan and put the seats back in it. That should atleast keep it "safe" if it gets water inside the car again.

Thanks

looks like plenty of room to put the radiatorand a pusher fan on the otherside of that core support

this will be interesting to watch
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

Images
    Thanks

you are no joke my man!!! thats just to daym sexy!

Forum Lurker Moderator SYNYSTAGLI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wikedgolf View Post
    you are no joke my man!!! thats just to daym sexy!
    x's 2!
    DCI-VW
    NEED PARTS?
    www.purems.com

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    looks like plenty of room to put the radiatorand a pusher fan on the otherside of that core support

this will be interesting to watch
    Yep exactly my thoughts. I can notch the lower radiator support to fit a taller one there as well. 1" forward would be enough really I think. I'll still have to get the intercooler and condensor in there, but nice thing is the condenser is only an inch thick tops.

Lots of small hurdles, should be do able though.

Thanks

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
    1980 Vespa P200E
    2005 Subaru WRX Sportwagon

Thanks

since it will be a full blown road car with heat and A/C, that does make it harder due to having to make custom A/C hoses, ducting, drier and evap core (did a 120 have A/C as an option?) not to mention most firewall clearance mods

I'm sure they don't make mock up replicas of Volvo motors, you might have to make your own from a large foam block and an electric turkey carver. Fun times
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/replica-engines.htm

Califonia "winters" don't make it easier, my project would be done if I had nothing to do but work in my shop at night or shovel snow if I wanted to go out......
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    since it will be a full blown road car with heat and A/C, that does make it harder due to having to make custom A/C hoses, ducting, drier and evap core (did a 120 have A/C as an option?) not to mention most firewall clearance mods

I'm sure they don't make mock up replicas of Volvo motors, you might have to make your own from a large foam block and an electric turkey carver. Fun times
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/replica-engines.htm

Califonia "winters" don't make it easier, my project would be done if I had nothing to do but work in my shop at night or shovel snow if I wanted to go out......
    This car actually came equiped with Volvo "add on" under dash AC (but is long gone). I think I can retain the oem heaterbox, its hot as sin already! Since it occupies space in the engine bay (the black plenum just above the motor) I want to keep it stock looking.

For actually retrofitting Air Conditioning, shouldn't be to hard. Will be using something along the lines of a www.vintageair.com or http://www.rjays.com/Air-Cond/hra-underdash-01.htm . The problem with the 120 is the dash is SHORT, there isn't a ton of room or depth so I'll have to find something compact. Once I get it apart more I think I might be able to fiddle with it.

Its almost to bad I can't gut the heatercore and plenum in the engine bay and install everything in there. ;-)

As far as the lines go, its pretty straight forward. Nice thing is I can use the AC compressor from an 850 which is a fairly common pump and just plumb it all in.

Nice thing is, this motor WILL fit with out massaging the firewall. The transmission is another story, these cars used really small 4 speed gearboxes. Theresa wants an automatic and the 1 Volvo transmission that would bolt up is garbage. I'm thinking 200 or 700r4 which is good cause they cheap and easy to build up stout, bad because the chevy bellhousing is huge.

Now, I do have an idea brewing in my head. I have the AW (auto) bellhousing that fits this motor and a detachable bellhousing 4l60e from a late model camaro. Since I'd be using the smaller bellhousing it is *possible* but not likely this combo will fit better. I almost hope it doesn't, the 4l60e will require use of a TCI controller whose ONLY upside is I can do paddle shifters. The obvious downside is I'll be in another 1k easily.

Well, Im off to finish up todays work and clean the shop up some for my meeting with a customer.

Images
    Thanks

Man the 700r4 is a huge tranny in comparison to what came in that car stock. Do you think you will have to cut and fabricate the firewall and drive shaft tunnel to get it in there properly?
    2006 SAAB 9-5 Aero

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
    Man the 700r4 is a huge tranny in comparison to what came in that car stock. Do you think you will have to cut and fabricate the firewall and drive shaft tunnel to get it in there properly?
    The firewall not so much, I can leave the majority of it intact but the tunnel for sure. Frankly, anything but the OEM 4speed requires mods to the tunnel so it was something I knew about upfront.

Images
    Thanks

Ok so you will end up with something like this then..... (trans reference only)

2006 SAAB 9-5 Aero