Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Yoshi and his Silver Streak
    Thanks

Yoshi and his Silver Streak

SILVER STREAK

• Words: Brad Harvey ~ daygoVR6 socaleuro.com
    • Snaps: Dannette Cook ~ netnet socaleuro.com

When it comes to modifying Volkswagens, it seems like everything has been pushed to the limit. It takes an imaginative person to come up with something that isn’t like the guy sitting next to you at a car show. Yoshi of San Diego, California shows us a very rare “hare” that he has taken and updated using European factory equipment, along with a few other special mod’s to off set his car from the rest of the VW community. One of the biggest things that sets this car apart from the rest is this Volkswagen is a 2002 25th anniversary 337 edition. This is one of 1500 units that were imported into the U.S. during that model year and he was lucky enough to not be put on a waiting list for one.
    Yoshi’s back ground with Volkswagens was already pretty extensive before purchasing his 337. His family owned a second generation Jetta for a number of years and he was also driving and starting to modify an MKIV Golf but lost the car after 9 months. Yoshi set out to find another GTI when he came across this 337, and another GTI that was equipped with the VR6 option.
    “The car just didn’t feel right when I test drove the VR6. The balance between overall power and chassis handling just didn’t feel correct for the car,” Yoshi explains.
    After driving the 337 and realizing its rarity, it was a done deal and the 337 had a new home.
    The modding bug bit early as Yoshi started removing the U.S. parts, and began installing the European OEM parts that were originally designed for the car. Like the 337, many cars from overseas have a few slight variances from their U.S. counter-parts to meet D.O.T. laws here in our country. “It’s amazing, the little differences between the Euro versions of these cars compared to the U.S. versions. The Euro versions are just a better car overall,” he says with a smile. Yoshi does all his own install work as well, everything you see here has all been a result of long hours in his garage along with some help of his friends and understanding wife that hasn’t tried to kill him yet.
    He started off by installing an OEM Euro spring and shock combination giving it a 1 inch drop on all 4 corners to give it a better overall stance. The larger European sized sway bars were also added, but after some testing the rear one was swapped for a 28mm one from Neuspeed. Combined with new sway bar bushings Yoshi felt this modification gave the most results in chassis handling. The car still retains the factory 18 inch Volkswagen BBS RC’s wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 2 rubber to help keep the car planted thru the corners. Stopping duties are handled with red Audi TT 2 piston calipers on all 4 corners.
    When it came time to start making tuning adjustments to the factory 1.8 liter four cylinder, Yoshi started off by installing a new APR chip with EMCS software. The new aftermarket chip gave the most results in the engine department, giving him a few different tuning options at the push of a button; stock, modified, and valet mode. A Blitz turbo timer helps cool the engine and turbo after long runs thru the southern California hills and canyons. An AEM cold air intake topped off with a K&N filter allows the engine and turbo to breathe deeper during hard acceleration. Everything is blown out the back thru a factory Audi TT exhaust system. Power is put to the ground thru the factory MQ350 manual 6 speed transmission, while Yoshi clicks thru the gears via a Diesel Geek short throw shifter assembly.
    Exterior modification began with the addition of H.I.D. head lamp assemblies which really makes this car stand apart from the rest, especially at night when the VW is going down the road. A Vortex body kit that Volkswagen made as a factory add-on has been color-matched in the Reflex Silver paint, along with a rear deck lid spoiler to aid in the aerodynamics department. A clear front bra was installed to guard against gravel trucks on the so cal freeways. The European a-spherical side wing mirrors help Yoshi see in his blind spot more clearly. Pizzy clear side markers replaced the US standard yellow lens’s to help clean up the front end, and aid in keeping the clear lens look throughout the front of the car. Another interesting feature is the MK V GTI rear window wiper assembly, which isn’t even available in the U.S. yet
    The interior finds the European OEM navigation system installed in the center consol, which also allows DVD’s to be viewed thru its screen. The system is an option only offered in Europe and it took Yoshi 9 months to find all the compatible items necessary to make it work here on the streets of America. Eventually he was able to find a CD of all the U.S. roads to use with the system that Audi uses with their navigation systems, so he doesn’t have any chance of getting lost when he is heading out to a socaleuro.com social gathering.
    Yoshi even installed the VW OEM triplex antenna, which is also another very hard item to find here in the states. The antenna gives him the GPS, GSM and Radio antenna all in one unit plus he added a smaller billet antenna mast to set it apart from the larger black one supplied by VW. Yoshi also installed a Phatnoise Phatbox which holds more music files than he will ever need to keep him entertained during long road trips. A Valentine 1 radar detector is hard wired into the car and has a concealed display to keep a close eye out for Johnny Law and his radar gun. The VW HVAC aluminum trim lines the interior giving it that added flair, along with custom mounted red LED lights throughout to give it the proper mood lighting. To give the interior a more personal touch, the grab handles have been replaced with the optional sunglass holders only found in the European 337’s. A custom mounted cell phone and Bluetooth headset mount was also hard wired into the car. The same Blitz turbo timer that handles the count down time for the engine and turbo after a long run has been custom mounted to an aluminum bezel, and is hard wired into a MWG trigger circuit to roll up the windows after the turbo timer is finished counting down.
    Yoshi has bigger plans for the future of his Volkswagen. A bigger turbo combined with a new intercooler to assist in the higher boost levels is in the works. Yoshi is also looking forward to more changes to the suspension in his quest for better chassis balance with the added horse power of the larger turbo. A new coil-over set up, either Stasis or H&R will soon be added to the mix. For now you can find Yoshi and his 337 carving up canyon roads on weekends. He is looking forward to a few remaining autocross events this year to see how well his modifications compare to other VW’s in the scene. Next time when you take a look at a 337 look closely to the small details of the car, you just might be surprised to find the small details that make a big difference in what is out there.

To view the rest of the photos from Dannette Cook and a few from Brad Harvey
    CLICK HERE

PHOTOS ARE OF BRAD HARVEY AND DANNETTE COOK ANY RE-USE OF THESE PHOTOS WITHOUT PERMISSION WILL NOT BE GOOD SO JUST ASK IF YOU WANT SOME
    Last edited by ncttrnl; 08-01-2005 at 06:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks
    Hot car. I'm extremely jealous of the OEM Nav setup. Any chance of getting a parts/price list? It'll probably be much more than I'm willing to spend, but I'm still curious...
    Car probably doesn't run.

Thanks
    very nice!
    YouTube "ALLSolar Research Vessel"

Images
    Thanks
    That's taking OE+ to the max, I love it :thumbup:

I did notice one error though - should be Votex body kit, not Vortex
    Carlsbad exile

Thanks
    Awsome job guys, Yoshi, as I've told you before, I love your car. Brad and Dannette, great job on the write up and pics.
    2003 GTI 20th AE Imola Yellow #0799. Only a AEM CAI and APR. Oh, that little guy, you don't worry bout that little guy ;)
    602-312-7204 Cell
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/402082048.png

Chief Pr0n Officer Moderator chris's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    WoW...Great write-up and of course, awesome shots Net!! Very well put together article guys.

Congrats Yoshi

Thanks
    beautiful car
    :smokem:

Thanks
    wow...

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    super euro oe
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Thanks
    nah, this car sucks
    euraZn

Thanks

Re: Yoshi and his Silver Streak

In retrospect, we should have waited to do that photo-shoot/write up; the car has changed SO much since then!

Thanks

is that why the pics are dead?

Images
    Thanks

dude, this article is so old.. it would be nice to have the photos up. bu this is like 3 years ago old

Thanks

yeah, i was like "wheres the pics?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pireboi251 View Post
    is that why the pics are dead?
    I have no idea why the pics are dead. Let me know if you want pics though; I've got TONS...

Thanks

these photos along with the others from the feature write ups dropped off after the host site for them went down over a year ago ....if i can find where the photos went I can probably fix all of the articlesthy were all on snap and share and I thought the domain name changed but I cant find it

then again the feature write ups havent been done in a long time didnt seem like there was much intrest in them after dubwars in 07 and I lost most of my contacts for what I had set up that summer - maybe lon should appoint somone to start doing them again and help keep the face of the main page changing ....theres a ton of content out there that can be covered
    FOR WHOM THE FUCKING BELL TOLLS
    ITS NOT WHAT YOU BUY.....ITS WHAT YOU BUILD
    CARS COFFEE -N- DOUGHNUTS SAN DIEGO https://www.facebook.com/carscoffeedoughnutsSanDiego
    Lucky 7 Racing https://www.facebook.com/LuckySe7enRacing