Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Should we be in Iraq? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Should we be in Iraq?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 37.23%
  • No

52 55.32%
  • Don't care/no opinion

7 7.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks
    lol.... nice anology.
    "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Save the Boobies!!!!! Moderator Tom's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    The Army has it's AO and the Marine's have theirs. It just depends on where the cameras happen to be pointing that day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    Everyone back off the personal attacks a little bit. Each person on this board has a different opinon, viewpoint and perspective. Each individual has their own unique experiences that help to form their opinions. We need to respect that. A disagreement between two viewpoints does not mean one is 'stupid'. If you want to post something that is contrary to someone else's statement, do it in a manner that does include personal insults or attacks.

Obviously, the Iraq topic is a heated one. From the beginning, I thought we should have gone in and nothing has changed my mind about that. Much of my opinion is based on the strategic significance of Iraq in the current and future Middle East conflicts, and Iraq's continued threat to Middle East stability which significantly threatened the global oil supply. The WMD issue (when we find them) is icing on the cake, nothing more.
    Do you believe that we were mislead into the war? Would the President been given the "authority to use force" if he stated the reasons for your opinion as reasons to go to war? I think your reasons are a big part of why we invaded Iraq, I don't agree though, that these are reasons to go to war, especially when the reason we were given was "imminent threat". A good documentary to watch is "Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War".

Do you believe that the war has been handle well? Were enough troops sent? Were troops sent without the equipment they needed? What are your feelings on Stop-Loss? How do you feel about private contractors in Iraq?

Northwestern Ambassador Administrator madajb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slowjet
    or at least i didn't see many marines when i was there April of '03.
    Hey, you gotta be nice to the Marines, it was their birthday yesterday.
    They're old now. =)
    -ajb

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slowjet
    I edited my post. One team, one fight. We all in this shit together. BTW, what you see on TV is totally not what you see on the field, or at least i didn't see many marines when i was there April of '03.
    during the war the marines and army were fighting in different parts of the country. they seem to be working side by side now, and i totally agree that we are there as a force of one.

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madajb
    Hey, you gotta be nice to the Marines, it was their birthday yesterday.
    They're old now. =)
    -ajb

Ahhhhh.....you remembered

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster8V
    Reminder to self, this is a blue state with a bunch of fucked up people who do not represent the main stream. Ahh, thats better.
    You could always move to one of those small red states, so that your partisanship will be more "at home."

Say, hasnt this topic been covered over, and over, and over again?
    Volkswaffe

DRS
    Racers Wanted

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PDVR6
    You could always move to one of those small red states, so that your partisanship will be more "at home."
    We could always set-up a "Sean Meze relocation fund" I could kick in a few of my frequent flyer miles

I Race Anything! Moderator Monster8V's Avatar
    Thanks
    Its
    Shawn meze.

Ill stick it out here, I like watching you bitches squirm!
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

SoCalEuro Member A1pocketrocket's Avatar
    Thanks
    or you could send him up here to Orange County, you know...behind the big scary Orange Curtain.
    waffles

Devil's Advocate Moderator paultakeda's Avatar
    Thanks
    I do not condone unilateral military action save when evidence overwhelmingly points to imminent danger.

This was the condition on which Congress gave President Bush the authority to invade Iraq, which he promptly used to invade, claiming imminent threat though all evidence (even back then) pointed to no such thing.

I condemn Congress for granting the president unilateral powers and refusing to take the blame for doing so. A commander-in-chief is only a commander-in-chief by the grace of Congress.

I condemn President Bush for using the powers granted by Congress to pursue what I believe to be a politico-economic agenda unrelated to the pursuit of al-Qaeda (I do not care if Iraq formerly had relations with bin Laden, I care about where al-Qaeda is today, not where it was a few years ago).

I respect the military whose commanders protested to President Bush's plans to invade Iraq, and agree with their assessment that though sufficient to win the invasion, the force assembled was too small to win the peace. I regret the administration ignored the military's advice on the matter, and the subsequent hardship our soldiers have endured and continue to endure because of it.

The short of it: We should not have gone in. When we did, we shold have done so with overwhelming force and a clear plan on pacification, reorganization and rebuilding of infrastructure. Should we leave now? We can't. Not right now. That would be political suicide, nor would it accomplish any of our goals. We're stuck, just like Vietnam. Without the cooperation of the local population in pacifying the country (and I do not mean its political leaders in our back pocket), we're going to be in trouble for quite some time.

King of Pain Moderator Alan_One's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    Car bombings and beheadings have been a staple of Islamic fundamentelist terrorists for some time, long before this current conflict. Beirut, Khobar Towers, the first attack on the World Trade Center, the North African Embassies just to name a few.

Al-Zarqawi is a Jordanian who's group has proclaimed it's allegiance to Al Qaeda and Bin Laden. His group based it's operations in Fallujah and is reponsible for most, if not all, of the hostage beheadings. Before the invasion, Hussein was a outspoken supporter of terrorism, going so far as to pay the surviving families of suicide bombers. The terrorist wanted for masterminding the Achille Lauro hijacking, Abu Abbas, was captured in Baghdad in April 2003 by U.S troops. He had been given free passage to live in Iraq by Saddam Hussein.
    All true statements.

Also, car bombings were not an issue in Iraq untill the US occupation. The people carrying out those bombings don't care about the Iraqui people. Those people (foreign terrorists) are there because we are there. We basically sat down in their neighborhood and gave them a target close to home. The "insurgents" in iraq are not the iraqui people (for the most part).

We went to iraq with poor planning, Too few resources, and under suspicious circumstances. (I can expand on these if there is some doubt)

We're there now. We can't just pull out and leave more instability in that region. I don't think we should have been there in the first place.

To all those people that use beheadings and imprisonments as a "backup" reason for us to have removed hussein I say SAUDI ARABIA.

To all of those that say the UN sanctions were not working I say NO WMD's

The UN is the right way to move forward. Change is slow. You can't force people to fight for their own rights. You can't go around deposing people because you want to. When you do you only cause more chaos.

If you decide to respond to this post please do so with quantifyable information that we can debate constructively. I will delete any posts that don't conform.

Sucks huh? But isn't that the American way under bush?
    Deus ex machina

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1pocketrocket
    or you could send him up here to Orange County, you know...behind the big scary Orange Curtain.
    First he'd need an escalade, then he would be eligible to live behind the curtain.
    Volkswaffe

DRS
    Racers Wanted

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paultakeda
    The short of it: We should not have gone in. When we did, we shold have done so with overwhelming force and a clear plan on pacification, reorganization and rebuilding of infrastructure. Should we leave now? We can't. Not right now. That would be political suicide, nor would it accomplish any of our goals. We're stuck, just like Vietnam. Without the cooperation of the local population in pacifying the country (and I do not mean its political leaders in our back pocket), we're going to be in trouble for quite some time.
    i agree ...
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Thanks
    Personally, I think the question is irrelevant.
    We're there now, that's what matters.
    -ajb

Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    -ajb
    yup ... but you know how history works ... gotta learn from our mistakes

and the question should be ... what should we do now, now that we are there
    how will this effect the worlds view of the US ... and effect on our trade with the rest of the world ... etc etc
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy
    yup ... but you know how history works ... gotta learn from our mistakes
    Heh, mankind has done a pretty piss poor job of that so far.
    =)
    -ajb

Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    absolutely ... but i am not mankind ... i am lonkind

King of Pain Moderator Alan_One's Avatar
    Thanks
    -ajb

Any question that allows for an expression of opinion is not irrelevant. That would make all polls irrelevant.

You slippin?

How come we're always picking on the Polish?
    Deus ex machina

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_One

Any question that allows for an expression of opinion is not irrelevant. That would make all polls irrelevant.

You slippin?

How come we're always picking on the Polish?
    After this election, polls are irrelevant, especially exit polls.

Also, I'm with the other Alan. Now it's not whether we should be there, but the fact that we are there, and for better or worse we're needed there, at least until Iraq can have a stable government and police force. Leaving Iraq now would lead to a massacre of the people there that want to make it work. No w we have to be there.

And lastly, the Polish? Hilarious dude