SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

Re: My kid brother's '68 bug

thats gorgeous and im jealous

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

nice bug man. Is he going to slam it or leave it?

Will it make it to FamilienFest 15 up in Vista? I would love to see this bug in person.
    --- William ---

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

n00b
    Thanks

ahh so jealous you found that thing in such good shape with that mileage, and the paint looks great!

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

Very nice buy, i would take the europlate off it though.
    Phil | GTiKid at gmail.com
    I </3 replica wheels.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustyoldbug View Post
    As with any older car at first usually a nightmare because the car was probably neglected. Once you go through the car, there are a few extra things you need to deal with compared to a modern car:

adjusting the valves (I do mine with every oil change), adjusting drum brakes (I installed discs in the front, but left the drums in the rear), points (or put a modern ignition in), occasional generator brushes or put in an alternator instead (I put a rather large one in to run dual batteries and electronics - if I ever finish my interior and install them...).

Otherwise the normal stuff. You do need one!

There is nothing like bombing through the desert and seeing those modern SUVs on the side of the road spewing anti-freeze/coolant. Plus people, including cops are always smiling and friendly out on the road when you are in a decent shape bug.

I was tearing down 5 the other day; I was speeding of course and a CHP came out of nowhere and pulled up next to me. I took my foot off the gas thinking I was getting a ticket and started to slow down. He just pointed at my bug with a big grin and then shook his finger in that universal naughty-naughty way before taking off. Happened once before - the CHP gave me a thumbs up when I was going well over the limit. I think that one was just shocked the bug was going that fast - I am not saying you will be this lucky, but I haven't had a moving violation since I got the bug. I did have a cop in WA hassle me because my tag lights were too "blue" though, and a cop in OR tried to get me for no front signals and got pissy when I pointed out they were built into the headlamps.
    What's the avg. budget (car included) that someone needs to get a bug looking and working good?
    .: 2008.5 United Gray DSG GTI 4-door :.