n00b
    Images
    Thanks

QuickTime/Mpeg-4 playback choppy

It’s been almost a year since I have had this problem and my patience has run out. I’m reaching out for help from others who may have had the same issue. Please note, I have spent almost a year trying to resolve this issue so unless you have had the same issue, chances are I have already tried any suggestions you may offer. I have included two links to a promising resolution to my problem but did not work. My issue is all my Mpeg-4 videos from my Sanyo HD-1 cam play horribly on QuickTime! I know there are other players out there like VLC but that does not help me. I have Roxio EMC-10 video editing software which needs QuickTime technology to properly render Mpeg-4 files. So I have to have properly working QuickTime program. My frustration is my 5 year old PC at work plays all my mpeg-4 files perfectly just like my old Dell Inspiron with XP.
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...ia-sata-vista/
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...fix-quicktime/
    Here is what I have tried so far:
    1.Called tech support for HP, Roxio, Microsoft, Apple and Ndivia. All denied there was any issue! Surprise.
    2.I have re-installed, updated and repaired: QuickTime, Roxio, Ndivia and HP drivers.
    3.I have consulted with the Geek Squad and told me they would have tried the same troubleshooting I have already done and didn’t think they could help.
    I have thought about buying different video editing software but realized since my cam uses mpeg-4 technology I will have the same problem as long as QuickTime is screwed. I hope there are at least one or two people who have had the same issue and share their magic cure! Thanks
    HP DV6258 SE, AMD Turion 64x2 1.83, 2gigs ram, 160gig HD, Ndivia Ge Force 6150

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

SoCalEuro Member
    Images
    Thanks

Re: QuickTime/Mpeg-4 playback choppy

Are they mp4 files?

i don't like using quicktime for anything...
    try changing the extension to mpg and play with media player.
    Rick's : C5 A6 2.8 Quattro ~ 203k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click here to become a Forum supporter
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6..._damnstuff.jpg

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

n00b
    Images
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply, not trying to be a smart ass but please read my post again. I'm not trying to make quicktime work to watch mp4/mpeg4 files. I need quicktime to work because my video editing software Roxio, needs it for rendering mp4 files. I agree QT sucks for PC use but I have very few options here.

Images
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M5ZEALOT View Post
    Thanks for your reply, not trying to be a smart ass but please read my post again. I'm not trying to make quicktime work to watch mp4/mpeg4 files. I need quicktime to work because my video editing software Roxio, needs it for rendering mp4 files. I agree QT sucks for PC use but I have very few options here.
    For such a newb you sure came off as a asshole.

SoCalEuro Member
    Images
    Thanks

i was thinkin i would be off..

have you tried different recording formats? (resolution / frames)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

n00b
    Images
    Thanks

Thanks oc-audi, didn't mean to be an a hole, sorry if it came across that way. I'm just frustrated. Every tech person at HP, Apple and Geek Squad I have spoken to made that as a first suggestion and I guess I'm just tired of saying "no" that is not my problem.... Please keep the suggestions coming. You can be famous since there are tons of Vista users with this same issue and can't get help from the powers above. Maybe I should rephrase my question? Oh no that would just make me look like an a hole again,

n00b
    Images
    Thanks

Yes and any recording format I can use with my video cam needs Mp4 to work properly. Again the problem always comes back to Quicktime. Even Adobe CS3 pro needs QT to render mp4 files! The only way I can see out of this is to dump Vista which came with my notebook and load XP! Everything worked in XP. or buy a new videocam that still uses tape~~ yikes~

SoCalEuro Member
    Images
    Thanks

haha no worries i am taking it from your point of view i wasn't offended at all... i think its passed scotts bed time anyways

thats good to know, regarding it being a vista issue... i have been waiting to upgrade but maybe not so fast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

n00b
    Images
    Thanks

yes, I suggest avoiding vista like the plague! MS is already talking about Windows 7 to replace vista! Tells you something huh? Fortunately there are some who have had no issues I wished I was one of them.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

First of all HP is, well terrible.

Quicktime is a flawed program for windows, it's the case now, it was the case in the past and it will be the case forever. Keep in mind that quicktime was designed and coded for mac, or more specifically unix. Trying to convert, not rewrite, the software to work on a windows OS isn't easily doable. And that's where you're running into the problem.

I understand that VLC doesn't work for what you're doing and that sucks.

My top recommendation, and you won't like it, is to switch to a mac for MP4 editing. If you do so i would recommend Final cut.

Just to get a little background on your problem. Do the video files play at all on the computer? ie in VLC or (god forbid) windows media player? do the files play well in your editing program? is it only when you go to export that you have problems?

In the direction of keeping windows (ugh), i would recommend trying a different program, just to see. if it works you're golden. if not try converting the file to another format and working with the new format. To be frank i don't know why you're using the roxio software, they do burning software and that's about all they are good at. The built in windows video editor is decently good at doing short videos that don't require too much editing or adjusting and it does capturing so it would make it's own format.
    ~Spencer
    2002 Mk4 Golf 2.0 Candy White
    1991 Avanti II Convertible Black
    1961 Jeep CJ5 color unknown (project)

n00b
    Images
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Yes I will be switching to a MAC this summer. I'm just stubborn and I like to fix things when they are broken. That is why I still have my 20 year old E28 M5!

Yes my video files all played properly except on Quicktime. I bit the bullet and reformatted my HD, which is such a freaking hassle.....reloading all my software etc. Quicktime now works great and my Vista notebook is faster! Go figure, I really want to know what went wrong and what "broke" to cause me so much grief but I don't car anymore......moving on to finish my movies backed up from Christmas. MAC here I come!

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M5ZEALOT View Post
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. Yes I will be switching to a MAC this summer. I'm just stubborn and I like to fix things when they are broken. That is why I still have my 20 year old E28 M5!

Yes my video files all played properly except on Quicktime. I bit the bullet and reformatted my HD, which is such a freaking hassle.....reloading all my software etc. Quicktime now works great and my Vista notebook is faster! Go figure, I really want to know what went wrong and what "broke" to cause me so much grief but I don't car anymore......moving on to finish my movies backed up from Christmas. MAC here I come!
    1. You keep that because it's a classic and some of us would kill you for selling it.

2. Good come to the light! life will get much easy for you this summer.
    ~Spencer
    2002 Mk4 Golf 2.0 Candy White
    1991 Avanti II Convertible Black
    1961 Jeep CJ5 color unknown (project)