n00b
    Thanks

Bug repair shop in/around SD

Hey Guys...got a bug yesterday, but she didnt make the trip down from San Bernardino...engine blew on the freeway! Any recommended shops in the area where I can get a rebuilt engine installed? What kind of money am I looking to spend? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Bug repair shop in/around SD

Paradise VW in San Marcos?
    VW Paradise.com
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Thanks

And honestly, you can buy an engine already built for ALOT cheaper than what you can build it for. Then you can give me the old one!!!

n00b
    Thanks

My engine has a hole in it...Im wondering how bad I f'ed it up!

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Brock View Post
    My engine has a hole in it...Im wondering how bad I f'ed it up!

Hi Joe - see you made it over here. Cracked by the usual number 3 cylinder location?

Bugzy is right VW Paradise has the best rep around here, though a little pricey on some stuff (you get what you pay for). There are some guys that advertise pretty cheap repairs on Craigslist too, but the way they bicker with each other - I wouldn't let them near my bug with any tools. Don't buy a used craigslist engine unless you hear it run (it is easy to run one out of a car sitting on a crate).

An engine swap is pretty easy and can be done pretty fast. If you have basic hand tools - I would say save the labor money, then buy a better engine and put it in yourself. Also buy yourself a copy of "How to Keep your Bug alive" and start going through the thing - check everything. A few lost weekends are going to be a lot better than something breaking out on the road, especially if it is suspension or steering related.
    If you have to sit on a stack of pillows to see over the dash, you shouldn't be driving.
    ------
    My bug's history & rebirth

n00b
    Thanks

I would say 'cracked' is an understatement...how bad does this look? I am on my way to buy the book in about an hour, and have been looking at rebuilt engines on the web. What is a good price range? I have seen up to $3k for a new engine, and down to around $700 for a rebuilt. Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	2721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	2722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0890.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	2723  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	2724  

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

rustyoldbug and mike are probably your best resources for old bug info
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

That's a big hole... wonder what else got screwed up in there - I would just use that engine for misc parts and just get another used longblock if it were me. Where are you in SD? If you are close, I don't mind helping a little (even if you are a squid...)

You can pick up used engines starting around 150-200, getting into real rebuilds with a warranty (not guys on craigslist that build them in their mom's basement) - yeah 600-700. A new engine all depends on what your goals are and how much you want to spend. I am about to build a new engine for my bug and doing it myself from case up - figure I will have a couple grand into it when it's done. Think about the shape of the rest of the car too before you go drop several K on an engine.

You told me you were thinking about eventually giving it to your son as a first car - if so I would stay close to stock. Small light cars with extra horsepower are not usually a good choice for a first car unless you are planning to cash in on life insurance.
    If you have to sit on a stack of pillows to see over the dash, you shouldn't be driving.
    ------

n00b
    Thanks

Squid huh...you must be a Marine...Im sorry! I want to keep this engine close to stock for sure. My plan right now is to go buy the book, take out this engine and dissect it. At that point I plan on calling on some pros to see how bad it is and go from there. Rebuilding this one seems like it would end up costing me more than if I were to just by a $700 rebuilt one...thoughts?

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Brock View Post
    Squid huh...you must be a Marine...Im sorry! I want to keep this engine close to stock for sure. My plan right now is to go buy the book, take out this engine and dissect it. At that point I plan on calling on some pros to see how bad it is and go from there. Rebuilding this one seems like it would end up costing me more than if I were to just by a $700 rebuilt one...thoughts?
    Not a Jarhead either - ex-army or as someone here said a "Greenie weenie".

I would think that case is doomed - probably a lot more cracks you are not seeing. So yeah rebuilding that is not a good idea - even if you found a shop willing to patch the case.
    ------

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Oh... and if you do rebuild one, there is a great book by Tom Wilson "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine"
    ------

n00b
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustyoldbug View Post
    Not a Jarhead either - ex-army or as someone here said a "Greenie weenie".

I would think that case is doomed - probably a lot more cracks you are not seeing. So yeah rebuilding that is not a good idea - even if you found a shop willing to patch the case.
    If the internals are still good (which Im not sure of), might I be able to buy a new case? Sorry for all the questions...first major work I will be doing to a bug!

As for the Army thing...I just got back from working with Army guys for 7 months in Iraq...why do you guys insist on walking in the middle of the road?

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

A good new case is almost as much as a rebuilt engine a lot of times (avoid the cheap ones) Internal parts are going to be a part by part decision - checking for damage and wear on every one and making a judgement call, of course all new bearings and such. That's why I said it looks like a parts engine to me. Something caused the hole, failure of a part, excessive heat, or ??? My guess is it wasn't maintained as well as you were led to believe when you got it and you will find more surprises.

Lucky for me I was out long before the whole Iraq thing - I was in when Reagan was around. I had it pretty gravy, most people still liked Americans when I was overseas.
    ------

n00b
    Thanks

I found a rebuilt 1600 at www.strictlyvw.com for $695 plus core...two questions on this one...will they take my core with a big hole in it, and is there anywhere local that sells rebuilt engines? This place is in Irwindale, so it isnt too far, but I would prefer something in SD should problems arise where I need to utilize the warrenty.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

You need to talk to them about what they will and won't take for a core. Local - I don't know - If I was getting a rebuilt I would talk to VW Paradise first. They build top notch stuff and record breakers there.
    ------