Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
VW to buy Porsche by 2010
    SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks
    ~Spencer
    2002 Mk4 Golf 2.0 Candy White
    1991 Avanti II Convertible Black
    1961 Jeep CJ5 color unknown (project)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

The Italian Job Moderator FunkTron's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks

Re: VW to buy Porsche by 2010

Article:

Europe's largest carmaker, Volkswagen, has said it is to buy 49.9% of sports car maker Porsche by the end of 2009 for about 3.9bn euros (3.54bn;$5.8bn).

In August VW and Porsche agreed the details by which VW will merge with its German compatriot by 2011.

VW had initially been set to buy a 42% stake in Porsche by the end of this year for 3.3bn euros.

The deal will end months of acrimony between the two firms, and would end Porsche's failed efforts to buy VW.

Funding failure

Over the past year Porsche built up major debts to get a 51% stake in VW, only to fall short of the required 75% when it could not raise more funds due to the impact of both the global credit crunch and the slump in global car sales.

Porsche's failure to buy VW saw the firm's former chief executive Wendelin Wiedeking and financial director Holger Haerter resign this summer.

Porsche is set to become the 10th brand in the VW family, joining the likes of Audi, Seat and Skoda.
    -------------------------------------------------

Don't spread my money, spread my work ethic.
    Pimpin since pimpin been pimpin!
    I'm not retarded....just tarded from the get go!
    doo-dee-dooo....ho-dee-humm... _____________________no slackin in my mack'n
    my hand has 4 fingers....and also a thumb. _____________no slippin in my pimpin

Thanks

Its a race to see who can raise the capital to buy who first!
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

Thanks

just join the gang porsche. vw is a good company to be owned by anyway, they tend to keep out and let their manufacturers continue as usual. unlike say ford who cannibalises all those that are under thier wing. plus their is no way porshce could afford vw when most of porsche $ was in investments and with this market no wonder they couldnt raise the funds needed.
    i heart off topic

Thanks

might just see VW in F1 once a merger is made...
    FOR WHOM THE FUCKING BELL TOLLS
    ITS NOT WHAT YOU BUY.....ITS WHAT YOU BUILD
    CARS COFFEE -N- DOUGHNUTS SAN DIEGO https://www.facebook.com/carscoffeedoughnutsSanDiego
    Lucky 7 Racing https://www.facebook.com/LuckySe7enRacing

Thanks

I heard the Boxster may be getting a four banger turbo powerplant thats based on the GTI. More power, less weight, WIN! The purist wine tasting fcuks will be pissed.
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Can't wait - good stuff will come out of this.

While we are on VW, any of you guys know anything about the hush hush secret replacement for the New Beetles?
    If you have to sit on a stack of pillows to see over the dash, you shouldn't be driving.
    ------
    My bug's history & rebirth

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustyoldbug View Post
    While we are on VW, any of you guys know anything about the hush hush secret replacement for the New Beetles?
    When VW initially debuted the UP concept in Frankfurt two years ago, the rumor was that a new rear engine rear drive Beetle would be built on that platform for North America. Since then, they have decided that would be too expensive. From the information I have, the Newer New Beetle will be a smaller car than the current NB, but have a larger interior volume. There is a possibility it will be based on a Polo platform and priced to compete with Yaris, Fit etc.

The odds are still very good we will see a Polo in North America. VW wants a smaller cheaper sedan in the product line-up. I would rather see a Polo hatch, but I am in the minority.
    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
    Follow Me

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquabat911sc View Post
    When VW initially debuted the UP concept in Frankfurt two years ago, the rumor was that a new rear engine rear drive Beetle would be built on that platform for North America. Since then, they have decided that would be too expensive. From the information I have, the Newer New Beetle will be a smaller car than the current NB, but have a larger interior volume. There is a possibility it will be based on a Polo platform and priced to compete with Yaris, Fit etc.

The odds are still very good we will see a Polo in North America. VW wants a smaller cheaper sedan in the product line-up. I would rather see a Polo hatch, but I am in the minority.

BS my next car will be an imported current generation Polo from Germany. I'm waiting till the make it with 4motion and the 2.0 litre diesel though
    ~Spencer
    2002 Mk4 Golf 2.0 Candy White
    1991 Avanti II Convertible Black
    1961 Jeep CJ5 color unknown (project)

Thanks

I guess it really is a race, I have been reading that Porsche was doing this and VW was going to do that but I guess this is the most recent article that I have read and finally puts some substance to the matter.

I agree that Porsche should join the family consider they share the Touareg/Cayenne Platform I'd like to see some similar Models on both sides benefit from the other.

I'd like to see a new new VW Beetle with a rear eng, rear wheel drive but maybe that is too expensive. Looking forward to seeing a Polo in the States.

Jesse

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I heard the Boxster may be getting a four banger turbo powerplant thats based on the GTI. More power, less weight, WIN! The purist wine tasting fcuks will be pissed.
    That's why I can't wait to tell my boss.
    '10 335i sedan/AW LCD3/ZMP/ZPP/steptronic/active steering/6FL/Logic7/Sirius/heated seats/rear fold seat/alarm/navi/Performance Power Kit