Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Porsche Hybrid

Thread: Porsche Hybrid

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Porsche Hybrid

<via autoblog>

Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid – Click above for high-res image gallery

In an interesting about-face, Porsche has revealed the first images and details on its new racer, the 911 GT3 R Hybrid.

Based on the rear-drive 911 GT3 R that's set to take to the track in privateer hands later this year, the GT3 R Hybrid utilizes a rear-mounted, 480-hp 4.0-liter flat-six in conjunction with two electric motors that drive the front wheels. Residing in the space normally reserved for the passenger seat sits a flywheel, which harnesses kinetic energy under braking and can spin upwards of 40,000 rpm. Once enough energy is stored, the system lets loose up to 120 kilowatts – approximately 160 horsepower – to the front wheels in six to eight second bursts that are controlled by a steering wheel-mounted button.

Porsche apparently hasn't released official performance specs, but the GT3 R Hybrid's world debut will take place at the Geneva Motor Show before it hits the track for its motorsports debut at the Nürburgring 24 Hours on May 15. Devised as a rolling "racing laboratory," after the Hybrid takes to the Green Hell this year, Porsche plans to assault the 24 Hours of LeMans in a refined version in 2012, just as the sanctioning body begins to favor hybrids. Now about that "no hybrids" thing...

Gallery: Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid

Everyone who drives slower than you do is an idiot; everyone who drives faster than you do is a maniac...
    http://www.inlanddubz.isgreat.org/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

Re: Porsche Hybrid

interesting............. I have hybrid technology class the end of the month, the X6 Hybrid, as much as I hate them and thing they have no place in a sport/performance car, is actually really cool technology.
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

hey word on the street has it that the next focus rs, both euro and state side will be a hybrid as well. with a 2.0 four instead of the 2.5 five with an electric engine running the rear.

oh and are you on your way to become an automotive engineer, mike?
    Everyone who drives slower than you do is an idiot; everyone who drives faster than you do is a maniac...
    http://www.inlanddubz.isgreat.org/

Thanks

No, I'm trying to keep up with the engineers fuck ups. The BMW X6 uses the GM hybrid drive trans. Trans is $100K, (YES, ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS), so, if it is damaged by road debris, car is totaled. If it goes out, ahhahahah. We are only building 500 of them.

We will also get the Hybrid 7, and a weird alternator/generator/starter assembly on the 1 and 3 series the will shut off and restart the car at stop lights or in traffic.

We have no business getting into this, but the global warming/energy crisis fad brought this on. We had a hydrogen powered 7 for YEARS. You never hear about them. We may still sell them. You aren't allowed to park them in your garage, or near an open flame (I'm not kidding) and we aren't allowed to touch it. There is nothing wrong with pollution control to a certain extent. Its getting to the point where it is unmanageable, difficult and costly for the customer to repair, and drives up the price of the car new, and lowers the value used due to the repair costs. Let Toyota lose money and deal with hybrids. BMW builds sport sedans (I hated seeing the X5 concept, as most BMW enthusiasts did, but yes, they actually do handle like a car). We use to do a really good job at it, still do but are side tracked throwing our hat into the SUV and hybrid arena's. Messing with over the top technology, useless engineering that has no real benefit from the systems they replaced. I have watched BMW grow from a really nice niche sport sedan car line in the mid to late 90's, to the monster of what it is today. Atleast our brakes work, gas pedals don't stick (toyota) and airbags don't blow up in your face (Honda).
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

I agree that hybrid technology for environmental reasons is very lame, and actually starting to taint everyday driving. Example, when I think "get that freekin Prius out of my damn way."

I am, however, highly curious to see what some of the top racing manufacturers can do with hybrid technology. The power that can be harnessed directly from electricity are endless as long as you can store or generate ample amounts efficiently. I think what Tesla Motors is doing is pretty cool; 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and 2x more efficient than a Prius!
    '10 335i sedan/AW LCD3/ZMP/ZPP/steptronic/active steering/6FL/Logic7/Sirius/heated seats/rear fold seat/alarm/navi/Performance Power Kit