Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Buddy wants to buy a Porche
    Images
    Thanks

Buddy wants to buy a Porche

Used 911 or something nice like that. Any recommendations, and any models to stay away from?
    Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -- Ronald Reagan January 1995

Secret To Seeing What Forum Supporters See?? >>Click Here<<

http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/attac...achmentid=3373

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Buddy wants to buy a Porche

They all fairly equal in my opinion. All depends on mileage and condition and $.
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Thanks

You need to be way more specific. How much is he looking to spend, what does he want do with the car; daily driver, weekend toy, track car? How mechanically gifted is he, can he do his own work?

I have a 911SC, I love it, but most people accustomed to modern cars would get tired of it pretty quick. With the money I have sunk into it, I could have bought a much newer Porsche, but I wouldn't get the same experience. If he wants a more modern car that has still has a Porsche driving experience, he should consider a 993. If he just wants to tell people he has a Porsche, then maybe a 996. Honestly, if I were considering a 996 that wasn't a GT3, I would probably buy a Boxster.

With more information, I think everyone on here can be a lot more help.
    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
    Follow Me

Images
    Thanks

He currently has a Saleen that he wants to get rid of. Says it's too much of a hassle to drive in the rain, and sits int he garage too much. Daily / fun car . . . I have no idea on price range, what do they normally run average?
    Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem.

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

If it was me personally, i would opt to buy a 993 TT.

2nd option, would be on a 996 TT
    3rd option, would be a 997 TT

of course GT2/GT3 options would win over a TT model, but whatevers ...
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOYr32 View Post
    I have no idea on price range, what do they normally run average?
    Porsche has been building 911s for 47 years straight, as you can imagine there is quite a range of pricing. You can find a 70s or 80s 911 under 10K depending on shape. A year old 997 could be close to 200K.

If he is looking to get rid of a car because it's too hard to drive in the rain, then I'm guessing he is more of the 996 type of guy. You can get 996s for under 20K now. They are decent cars, but poor Porsches. It was the first 911 built to a budget. Porsche actually got input from other car companies on how to cut costs in production. You want to look for rear main seal problems with the 3.4ltr cars. By now just about all 996s will have the factory RMS replaced, but they are still a maintenance issue. They also had Intermediate shaft issues, which when they went, they took out the engine. It does happen, but it is fairly rare and Porsche did offer a fix for it. They had a few other problems with crank bearings and cylinder liners, make sure you buy one that has been well maintained.

There are loads of books and websites dedicated to buying a used 911. A car like this isn't something you buy on a whim, your friend would be well served by doing some reading and educating himself on all the different cars. Rennlist.com is a great resource as well.
    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
    Follow Me

Images
    Thanks

haha, it's either that or a viper . . . but I think he'll end up in the same situation with a viper that he has with his saleen.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

definitely a 993. Last of the air cooled, best styling and will not depreciate (might even go up in value over time).

The best deal however is the 996. He could get a na car for 20 and a turbo for under 40

SoCalEuro Member
    Images
    Thanks

My vote is for the 997, It's the everyday driver Porsche. Some might argue that it's the best Porsche ever made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	5265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	997 on H&R's.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	5264  
    "FAST ISN'T FAST","SMOOTH IS FAST" "

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TecharT View Post
    My vote is for the 997, It's the everyday driver Porsche. Some might argue that it's the best Porsche ever made.
    what are you trying to imply mike

oh oh you wouldnt happen to have any spare 18 225x35 tires on ya would ya???
    Everyone who drives slower than you do is an idiot; everyone who drives faster than you do is a maniac...
    http://www.inlanddubz.isgreat.org/

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

What if your a 356 kind of guy, what then?
    Phil | GTiKid at gmail.com
    I </3 replica wheels.