Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Techs: What tools do you make sure are in your box?
    SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Techs: What tools do you make sure are in your box?

Nearing the end of my run here in Phoenix at Universal Technical Institute in Avondale, AZ. I've learned quite a bit both in the automotive and in general life... Some aspects more than I wanted to, some not so much.

But what I want to know... Techs. What are your most used tools in your chest besides your standard drivers, wratchets, wrenches, sockets, and the like?

I have a couple grand to spend on Snap-On and I want to take advantage of my 50% off while i'm still here.

What do you recommend for real tight spaces? Or do you use the usual 2 or even 3 flex extensions?

What about sommewhat common specialty tools?

I'm not really sure on the whole impact gun as most of those jobs I end up using the good ol' wrachet and then torque em to spec. But i'm thinking about setting a couple hundred aside for a decent/mid-range Ingersol-Rand.

Just shoot me some ideas.

Thanks.

Cars are a form of transportation... Volkswagen is a way of life.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

I Race Anything! Moderator Monster8V's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Techs: What tools do you make sure are in your box?

Oh so thats why you have been so pleasantly quiet lately....! JK man, congrats on getting thru the school.

For me, I tried to go your route and plan ahead, but what I thought I would need but in the end, I buy tools as I need them, or if I find a new tool that does my job easier or makes my life easier, I buy it. Simple as that. So until you know what you will be doing day in and day out, you cant know the answer. Even then, jobs change or you get moved around. So, go with the basic tool set you have, unless you know where you will me working? If you do, the question is best asked to your new boss.

Ive found that the new electric impacts are much easier to work with and are great for teardown and some assembly work. I have a 9v, 12v and 18v impact guns for various work. I almost never use my air gun anymore. Times change, tools improve.
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Images
    Thanks

Ive found that the new electric impacts are much easier to work with and are great for teardown and some assembly work. I have a 9v, 12v and 18v impact guns for various work. I almost never use my air gun anymore. Times change, tools improve.
    with the deals for snap-on at uti i took advantage of getting the more expensive tool out of the way first

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
    ^ im in love with this impact good for getting into small places.
    im still new to the field as well!

Thanks

I have a 3/8" IR Cordless Impact that is used daily... several times daily. Was about $400 but very worth it. Swivel sockets are awesome and allow you to get to tighter areas easier. Get a brake piston tool... will make things so much easier. A battery jumper box... another item that is used daily, if not for actually jump starting a car... then for being used as a 12v power source for electrical testing. And an assortment of hammers. Ball peen, rubber mallet, dead blow... they get used a lot. Of course there is a whole lot more, and as said before... just buy things as you need.

Oh, and of course you gotta have a 1/2" impact (air). I've got the IR 2135qti, which is the quiet model. Thing is powerful, and not at all loud.
    Last edited by GtIrOb01; 07-13-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added a tool
    2001 GTI 1.8t - Matchstick Red
    My GTI

Can someone please get me some lumpia? Cause there is none in FL!

Thanks

Tech angle torque wrench 3/8"
    3/8 electric impact
    1/2 impact for wheels (IR is the best IMO)
    1/4 air ratchet for shit like vlave covers and water pumps
    3/8 for brakes
    a GOOD DVOM with a recording function.
    impact swivels in 1/4 3/8 and 1/2
    15/16mm and 18/20mm brake wrenches.
    Electric drill with clutch like a Mikita good for under panel screws.
    Tap and die set metric
    big ass pry bar
    Wheel bearing tool set (get this off the internet from BAUM tools)

All in all I have probably $65K in tools. I buy all sorts of shit. BMW special tools, bushing press tools, clutch alignment tools, etc. Before you go hog wild, you don't want to get in debt until you know this is what you want to do for ever, and if you are any good at it. We get lots of guys that do this for a year and bounce. If you have a good attitude, most guys will help you out and let you borrow a major tool if you are new. Its people that have been doing this 5 years and have no tools that piss us off.

Are you going to any "finishing" program?
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

Parts Whore Forum Vendor
    Thanks

Good thread, been thinking myself about picking up a 3/8" electric impact, nice to know it's a popular choice..
    Here are a couple things I find essential

A nice full tap & die set
    A good drill set
    crows foot wrenches
    pry bars
    12-point crap for Audi/VW
    Outside (female) torx bits
    A good dead blow mallet
    Your SoCal APR and AWE-Tuning Distributor!

purems.com | San Diego, CA | 866-397-5487

Images
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Tech angle torque wrench 3/8"
    3/8 electric impact
    1/2 impact for wheels (IR is the best IMO)
    1/4 air ratchet for shit like vlave covers and water pumps
    3/8 for brakes
    a GOOD DVOM with a recording function.
    impact swivels in 1/4 3/8 and 1/2
    15/16mm and 18/20mm brake wrenches.
    Electric drill with clutch like a Mikita good for under panel screws.
    Tap and die set metric
    big ass pry bar
    Wheel bearing tool set (get this off the internet from BAUM tools)

All in all I have probably $65K in tools. I buy all sorts of shit. BMW special tools, bushing press tools, clutch alignment tools, etc. Before you go hog wild, you don't want to get in debt until you know this is what you want to do for ever, and if you are any good at it. We get lots of guys that do this for a year and bounce. If you have a good attitude, most guys will help you out and let you borrow a major tool if you are new. Its people that have been doing this 5 years and have no tools that piss us off.

I just keep Mike in my Toolbox . . .
    Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -- Ronald Reagan January 1995

Secret To Seeing What Forum Supporters See?? >>Click Here<<

http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/attac...achmentid=3373

Thanks

Honestly, it all depends on where you go to work. The only way to know for sure what you will need is to see what the techs at your job are using on a daily basis. I do use my cordless snap-on screwdriver daily though. Everything else is going to depend on what you're going to be working on.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Lots of similar tools, lots of great advice. I have heard the "Buy as you go" deal, which is mainly what i'm looking at doing, just wondered if there's that one must have tool in your chest.

Never really thought of a battery powered impact as being something worth buying, but it's good hearing that they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster8V View Post
    Oh so thats why you have been so pleasantly quiet lately....! JK man, congrats on getting thru the school.
    To every joke, there's a bit of truth (or a lot...) We all know you were getting fed up with me before I moved out here a year ago... lol.

1 more phase left after this one... 5 more weeks to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I might be taking Mercedes of BMW STEP... I really can't say right now even though i'm very close to graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by GtIrOb01 View Post
    Oh, and of course you gotta have a 1/2" impact (air). I've got the IR 2135qti, which is the quiet model. Thing is powerful, and not at all loud.
    Awww but the loud Ingersolls that sound like you're tightening down an aircraft carrier bolt is where it's at!!! haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rento_VW View Post
    Awww but the loud Ingersolls that sound like you're tightening down an aircraft carrier bolt is where it's at!!! haha.
    It gets really old, really fast.... trust me. Especially with a 21 year old next to you that just likes to make noise with his, rather than actually working. lol Plus you will still be able to hear after using a quiet one!
    2001 GTI 1.8t - Matchstick Red
    My GTI

Can someone please get me some lumpia? Cause there is none in FL!

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Haha, i'd probably be that 21 year old. I get impact gun happy... Just sounds cool haha. Burr! Burr!