Thanks

CEL for a bad catalytic converter

I still have my 2L MK4 Jetta. The original cat went bad around 130k miles. The recall was 126k for a free replacement which I do not qualify for.

Originally it is a California car. I bought a magnaflow universal cat which is not CA approved (only 49 states) and had it installed. It had get some added welded tubing since it is universal. After its installation - CEL is still on. I took it back to the shop here in VA. They said that I need an OEM catalytic converter in order to get the CEL off. Since I'm in VA, I'm not worried about smog at the moment.

Oxygen sensors are good. I did replace the pre-cat oxygen sensor as well. I still have a CEL after the replacement.

Magnaflow said that since it is a CA car, a CA approved cat is needed to get the CEL off - this may be the probable solution. I am a bit in doubt that this may be the solution. I would like to hear your thoughts regarding CELs on cat replacement. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

Re: CEL for a bad catalytic converter

Well, in order for it to be CALIFORNIA smog legal, it has to be a direct OEM replacement. How many miles has it been on the car? I have run Magnaflow cats on lots of my cars, and put them in friends cars, even before this stupid CARB/BAR approval B.S. and they still passed smog. If the place sold you the wrong cat, or it was damaged by a misfire or something, it could be that it just needs replacing. I have seen cars with a misfire eat a cat in a matter of miles dumping raw fuel into the exhaust until the brick is blown out. Get me a part number of what you have fitted now, and I will run it by my guy. A 49 state cat will still clean up the exhaust, only difference is it hasn't been tested to receive California approval.
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

Thanks

Thanks, Mike. Here is the model that I purchased: 99235HM. I hope I can narrow down on this issue.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

yeah if you have a california car, MOST high flow cats will still trigger the CEL. You can get that to easily turn off with a 2ndary 02 sensor spacer or an ECU tune that eliminates the P0420 code. BFI, 42DD, eurojet and a slew of others all have 02 spacers for a decent price or you can just use a spark plug defouler and modify it to accept the sensor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DCxMagus For This Useful Post:

onetrackmind21 (07-28-2010)

Thanks

what year is your MK4, how long has it been on the car for, have you had any other running issues? the rear O2 is what monitors cat efficiency, the front is for mixture input.

Its hard to tell without looking at it, but if they install a cat too far back, it can have a hard time getting hot enough, quick enough to work properly, while it will eventually get hot enough to work properly, it may not SOON enough and the post cat O2 sees the cat not working. According to their website, it is not for a MK4, only a MK3, 99 being a split year and ABA 2.0 was a MK3 motor. You can do as someone else said and get the spacer to numb it. I have done this for a few Subaru guys.
    "As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest motherf****r in the valley" - George S. Patton
    2012 Cooper S hard top Lightning blue/Black roof
    2009 328i sport coupe, M3 steering wheel, DCT paddles, Magnaflow exhaust.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mike For This Useful Post:

onetrackmind21 (07-28-2010)

Thanks

The MK4 is a 2000. It has been in the car since October 09. CEL triggered the 3 months ago. Pre-cat 02 sensor installed less than a month ago. No other running issues besides a slipping clutch which will be replaced soon. I contacted the dealer regarding advertising the wrong part for the specific car. I guess my first step is get the right and compatible cat, if it still does not work, I can look into installing a spacer. Thanks, guys!

n00b
    Thanks

arizona

re : magnaflow catalytic converterMy garage wants the catco headerback, Im trying to fin out if the OEM caddilac conver will fit it.

n00b
    Thanks

re : magnaflow catalytic converterMy garage wants the catco headerback, Im trying to fin out if the OEM caddilac conver will fit it.