Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

anybody ever do century rides?
    Thanks

anybody ever do century rides?

Curious if anybody on here has ever done a century ride.

I got into mountain biking early this summer and have been riding my mtn bike on the road almost every day since buying my bike, mainly just for fitness as it replaced my running. But now I'm absolutely in love with cycling, and planning on getting a road bike soon. Also told myself I want to set a goal of doing a century ride in about 6-8 months. I know its plenty of time to get into shape for it.

Questions I'm asking you guys are, for somebody doing their first century ride, what's a good pace. So far my longest bike ride has been 25 miles at about a 16-18 mph pace(keep in mind this is on a mountain bike right now). Ask me if I could do 25 miles just a few months ago, and I'd say hell no! But now 25 miles seems like a walk in the park, and I could definitely pick up the pace and go for much longer but I'm just really limited on how long of a bike ride I can go for right now.

TIA
    Nobody ever said "I wish I never saved a life." Donate blood http://www.givelife.org
    KOLLABORATIVE MEDIUM Animation & Visual Effects and Photography
    Also join KOLLABORATIVE MEDIUM Fan Page on Facebook

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Yeah bite me Administrator
    Images
    Thanks

Re: anybody ever do century rides?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul For This Useful Post:

3THREE7 (08-11-2010)

Thanks

Oh perfect! lol

Where have people done century rides before? I know about the Livestrong challenge events, and I'm sure I can google more.
    Nobody ever said "I wish I never saved a life." Donate blood http://www.givelife.org

Mongo Meat Gazer Forum Supporter gest24's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks

Furthest I've gone was 60 up and down the coast. I've never done a sanctioned century or charity ride over 20 miles. There are plenty of events around our area from flat to hilly as hell. Take a look at a competitor magazine, they're free and have them at most shops and Rubio's even has them, lol.

Images
    Thanks

The hardest part of the ride is going to be sitting in the saddle for that long.

When you aren't stopping and putting your foot down like you would on a group ride, your ass starts to get really sore. The longest non-stop ride I have done was about 56 miles in a triathlon. It took me around 3 hours and have never been happier to be off the bike and on to the run. My ass was beat like it was my first day in prison.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Mongo Meat Gazer Forum Supporter gest24's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks

This is your best friend on long rides. Also, a good pair of shorts don't hurt either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ncttrnl View Post
    The hardest part of the ride is going to be sitting in the saddle for that long.
    This is what I'm most worried about...

Also this is a goal for sometime next spring, so plenty of time. Was thinking of doing a shorter ride 35/50/65 miles sometime from now till then.

Also as far as events, for the century, I kinda want to do something out of state. This century ride will be more of a novelty for me and not so much a "competition". Kinda more just to say I did it. So the bigger the overall experience, the better for me. I know for the Livestrong rides, all but one in San Jose are out of state.

Anybody wanna join?

Thanks

As mentioned, getting your rear properly numbed and prepped for the 100 miles will be a big part of being able to complete it. When I did my first century at Tour de Poway, my biggest downfall was failure to hydrate and eat well throughout the ride. Even though I thought I was drinking enough, as soon as I hit mile 70, I felt parched and hungry and exhausted. I then made the mistake of overloading on liquids and snacks all at once during that last pit stop, and I paid for it til mile 90; having the feeling to vomit the entire time. But at least my saddle/ass area was ok.

To sum up, don't push yourself (especially if it's your first century). By the time you've finished training, you should have a good idea of what speed will get you through the ride. Prepare your rear for lots of saddle time. Properly hydrate throughout the ride. But most of all, enjoy the scenery and have fun!

Thanks

haha what tony said! i've done several centuries on my own and a few when i was doing ironman. if there's one thing i never feel bad spending money on, it's nice bike shorts! no matter what it's uncomfortable though. hmm what else. a couple things i personally like riding with are an aero bottle and bento box - just helps me stay on top of my nutrition. oo and a PB&J. as far as training though, don't ask me, i unfortunately stink at biking =)
    euraZn

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3THREE7 View Post

I got into mountain biking early this summer and have been riding my mtn bike on the road almost every day since buying my bike, mainly just for fitness as it replaced my running. But now I'm absolutely in love with cycling, and planning on getting a road bike soon. Also told myself I want to set a goal of doing a century ride in about 6-8 months. I know its plenty of time to get into shape for it.

Questions I'm asking you guys are, for somebody doing their first century ride, what's a good pace. So far my longest bike ride has been 25 miles at about a 16-18 mph pace(keep in mind this is on a mountain bike right now). Ask me if I could do 25 miles just a few months ago, and I'd say hell no! But now 25 miles seems like a walk in the park, and I could definitely pick up the pace and go for much longer but I'm just really limited on how long of a bike ride I can go for right now.

TIA
    A good pace is a pace you are comfortable with. Pace is relative to a rider's strength. Average pace also differs according to terrain, wind conditions and rider's strength. Decent pace for a beginner on a flattish terrain would be 14-16 mph. On a hilly terrain, average pace will go down. I suggest you get a road bike for century rides. You will suffer on an MTB on a century ride. Anybody here interested in putting together a training ride soon? Been off the bike for 2 mos. since my last century in may....

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

When you aren't stopping and putting your foot down like you would on a group ride, your ass starts to get really sore. The longest non-stop ride I have done was about 56 miles in a triathlon. It took me around 3 hours and have never been happier to be off the bike and on to the run. My ass was beat like it was my first day in prison.
    Invest in a good pair of bib shorts and a saddle shape that fits your ass....saddle shape is more important than cushioning...IMHO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shumi7xwdc View Post
    A good pace is a pace you are comfortable with. Pace is relative to a rider's strength. Average pace also differs according to terrain, wind conditions and rider's strength. Decent pace for a beginner on a flattish terrain would be 14-16 mph. On a hilly terrain, average pace will go down. I suggest you get a road bike for century rides. You will suffer on an MTB on a century ride. Anybody here interested in putting together a training ride soon? Been off the bike for 2 mos. since my last century in may....
    Definitely will be picking up a road bike. As mentioned, I got into mtn biking recently and just started riding my bike around occasionally during the weekdays to take breaks from running. Now its replaced my running, and thinking about cycling as a more serious form of fitness...

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

ride your MTB off-road going up as often as you can....the longer and steeper the climb, the better. you will be a strong and fast climber on the road on a lighter road bike...no pain no gain....also be prepared to crash as you bike faster and more often....stay safe!

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3THREE7 View Post

TIA

I have been on a "century ride" with my new road bike. For a first road bike.. dont buy something expensive..