Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Everything snowboarding/skiing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Everything snowboarding/skiing

Just creating a general thread for anything that has to do about skiing/snowboarding.

Post up about your day snowboarding, what new gear you have, what trips you have planned, etc. Share any info on any deals you might have seen. Any good stuff...

What's your most memorable experience in the snow?

socaleuro snowboard group:
    http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/group.php?groupid=10
    Nobody ever said "I wish I never saved a life." Donate blood http://www.givelife.org
    KOLLABORATIVE MEDIUM Animation & Visual Effects and Photography
    Also join KOLLABORATIVE MEDIUM Fan Page on Facebook

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

Re: Everything snowboarding/skiing

My first most memorable experience was at June Mountain about 7 years back. We just arrived in June during one of the biggest storms I've ever driven through, almost pure whiteout. Just as we arrive at June Lake in the late evening, Cal-trans closed the 395 just past Mammoth, so we got lucky by just about 30 min. The next day the resort was closed due to extreme weather, so we waited it out, played board games, dicked around in the snow, found an empty parking lot and I was just doing donuts in the snow in our SUV. Finally, the next day June Mtn had the whole resort open with minimal grooming and blue bird skies. Total snow accumulation in the 36 hours from when we arrived till the opening of the resort... 9 feet!!! Best part, is June is usually pretty dead during the middle of the week, but even better, roads were still closed in/out of June Lake. During that day there I maybe saw only 7-10 other people enjoying the whole mountain. There were times where I split off from my group and took a different run down. Loved carving through waist deep snow(and dry, uncommon in the sierra's), and still be completely silent, like blissfully silent, absolutely amazing. Riding through the trees down the face was epic. I highly doubt there will be another day like this in the near future.

Yup thats my GTI under there after only one days worth of snow at Northstar, surprisingly the week spent on this trip only ranks about top 15ish experiences.
    Nobody ever said "I wish I never saved a life." Donate blood http://www.givelife.org

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3THREE7 View Post

What's your most memorable experience in the snow?
    14 or 15 years old...

Drove to sum mountain like 8 or 12 hours away...

nobody knew how to snowboard and first try of the day... youngblood catches a rail and feet go over head...

Gets knocked out and rescued by ski patrol...

didn't see em the rest of the day... or trip /jajajajajajajajaj

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Get_the_van View Post
    14 or 15 years old...

Drove to sum mountain like 8 or 12 hours away...

nobody knew how to snowboard and first try of the day... youngblood catches a rail and feet go over head...

Gets knocked out and rescued by ski patrol...

didn't see em the rest of the day... or trip /jajajajajajajajaj
    haha busted a scorpion?

Thanks

went to high today was fun for the what the snow was like alot of slush but the 40 footer is still up. also just go a new board a gnu street series btx 149.

Thanks

went again today im really depressed on the current setup at high we really need a storm or snowmaking........

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

go to Bear instead.
    Junior~2014 Golf TDI
    Louis~1985 B!tchBasket

GoGo~2001 IndiGoGolf (sold!)
    Life is like a garden, DIG IT!

Thanks

im banned lol

plus ive heard bear lost alot of its snow also

Thanks

was up north for the past few days, unfortunately didnt have the time to go to Tahoe. Tahoe has been getting some pretty good snow, i always say skip bear as well and go head to mammy or tahoe

Thanks

ya i gotta mammoth hookup 5 doller lift tickets so ima try to make a few trips up there. high is fine for now but i have a feeling its gonna get old after this season. ima also try to go to crested butte sometime this year the resorts out in colo are on another level.

heading to high now if anyones up there and sees a lowerd silver b5 a4 with a loud exhaust and roofrack say hi.

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

I can pretty much gaurantee mtn high is gonna get old to you. It did to me a couple yrs back. I just make that extra trek up the mtn to bear. Another great place to ride is Brianhead Utah. Not much further than Vegas and you get amazing Utah snow!

What the heck did you do to get banned at Bear?
    Junior~2014 Golf TDI
    Louis~1985 B!tchBasket

GoGo~2001 IndiGoGolf (sold!)
    Life is like a garden, DIG IT!

Thanks

umm i worked as a instructor and just kinda left one day. i kept my uniform and they seem to think i was up there riding for free in it. and high hasnt really gotten boring i got 78 days there last season just learning new tricks and such. i used to ride like 60+ days a year at bear and since swapping over 2 high i feel like ive gotten way better.

also high was super fun today the jump off wedge was perfect. and ill have to check brianhead out sometime, i really wanta go to snowbird or park city.

Thanks

yeah about 5 years ago i rode mt high over 80+ days, it was fun. didnt ride much the next season because of my cancer, but the season after that i moved up north and rode tahoe about 50+ days a season for 3 years. tahoe never got old, i hardly look back to my mt high days anymore. honestly im at the point where i feel like i've gotten spoiled i'd take one memorable pow day over a whole week of riding the same park(and i'll admit i'm getting old as well as fucking up my career on the slight chance I get injured)

But speaking of parks and tricks, there was an interview in one of my magazines talking about triple corks and how big air competitions are getting too much to be like freestyle aerials(skiing). I'd have to agree, practically everybody has a double cork in their arsenal now, and its great. I got to witness in person the first ever double rodeo done in a competition by travis rice a few years back, it was epic to witness it. Then I saw the first triple cork in a video, but had to wonder where this is going, I just hope people still focus on style than to see how many spins and flips can be done. thought? I still love a lofty 180

Thanks

ya my favorite trick that i can do is a lofted sorta corked where u hold the spin at 1 point then wip the last 180 at the last 2nd. i dont like the triple corks much but torstein horgmos are real nice and trice is always clean.

im thinking about moving to eather park city or breck i need a sick park and pow + i wanta get outa cali for a bit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Socal View Post
    im thinking about moving to eather park city or breck i need a sick park and pow + i wanta get outa cali for a bit
    I think everybody that loves snowboarding needs to be a snowboard bum at least for one season. I know somebody who decided to go to breck for a season 4 years ago, he's never came back

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3THREE7 View Post
    My first most memorable experience was at June Mountain about 7 years back. We just arrived in June during one of the biggest storms I've ever driven through, almost pure whiteout. Just as we arrive at June Lake in the late evening, Cal-trans closed the 395 just past Mammoth, so we got lucky by just about 30 min. The next day the resort was closed due to extreme weather, so we waited it out, played board games, dicked around in the snow, found an empty parking lot and I was just doing donuts in the snow in our SUV. Finally, the next day June Mtn had the whole resort open with minimal grooming and blue bird skies. Total snow accumulation in the 36 hours from when we arrived till the opening of the resort... 9 feet!!! Best part, is June is usually pretty dead during the middle of the week, but even better, roads were still closed in/out of June Lake. During that day there I maybe saw only 7-10 other people enjoying the whole mountain. There were times where I split off from my group and took a different run down. Loved carving through waist deep snow(and dry, uncommon in the sierra's), and still be completely silent, like blissfully silent, absolutely amazing. Riding through the trees down the face was epic. I highly doubt there will be another day like this in the near future.
    i was totally there that year it was amazing to say the least
    You think you have lag? It took Jesus 3 days to respawn.

Thanks

ive been a snowboard bum past 4 years lol used to live in bear and worked(rarely) as a instructor. ya i bet breck is amazing now since that new law passed alot of pro shreds moved out there lol.

Thanks

back again 6 days in a row i think. ive watched the snow disapear daily. basically dont pay 4 tickets until it snows if u gotta pass go.

Thanks

I just moved back to SD from Mammoth. Was sad to leave but I'm happy to be home near family. PLus I busted my MCL the night before opening day (still skied opener) and need to rest it for just a little more before I ski hard.

I did buy some Hellbents before I left. I'm looking forward to the Jan/feb/mar storm cycles.

Thanks

storms expected later this week. all forcasts are calling for rain, wouldnt be supprised if high/bear are forced to close if we dont get a strong cold front or some snow soon.