Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Who's had an MRI? What can I expect?
    Thanks

Who's had an MRI? What can I expect?

I've been dealing with severe shoulder discomfort for about 16 months and gone to two General Practitioners and two Orthopedists in San Diego. Nothing is coming up on X-Rays and after about 7 rounds (6 sessions each) of Physical Therapy I haven't completely healed.

My questions are:
    - Does anyone have experience with tendinitis in their shoulder AND/OR bone spurs? One of my Doctors seems to think that's the issue but we won't know until the MRI results are in.

- Has anyone had an MRI? How long did it take? Did you freak out in the tunnel-thing? What tips/ advice do you have for me?

Thanks guys!
    Ladies love VAG, too!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

Re: Who's had an MRI? What can I expect?

I had a shoulder problem for a while and did the MRI thing. It's good to know what is up in there if you've had pain for a while. I take it cortisone injections didn't help?

I think there are two types of MRI machines. The older ones are like a tube that you are slid into. You wear headphones so that the tech can talk to you and so you can listen to music while the machine is working. The machine is only a few inches above your face, so if you're claustrophobic see if you can get referred to a place with one of the newer machines that is open. You do a series of scans that take a few minutes each and you have to stay still during each one. The machine makes this knocking sound while it is working, then you take a break and move on to the next scan. It's not so bad and your orthopedic surgeon can then tell if it is just tendonitis, a tear, or whatever. It's worth the hour of time. Good luck!
    Have: 14 VW Passat SEL TDI, 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L (ZJ), 07 Mongoose Canaan Elite MTB
    Had:
    80 BMW 320i, 83 VW Rabbit GTI, 89 VW Golf GTI 16V, 92 VW Golf GTI 8V, 95 VW Jetta GLS, 99 VW Passat 1.8T, 05 Saab 9-2X Aero, 07 BMW 328i, 04.5 VW GLI

I Race Anything! Moderator Monster8V's Avatar
    Thanks

Your head explodes like its in a microwave. Lots of heat and noise and then you start seeing those gremlin things crawling on the machine with their sharp claws and they tear into your skin.... Its hell on earth I tells ya!!!!
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

It's noisy. I only had to stick my leg in but to do an MRI of my ankle was about 20-25 minutes. Oh, did I mention its noisy?

Thanks

Ok kidding aside. Its much to do over nothing.
    More than anything, its boring. You have to stay -still- for a certain amount of time or they redo the entire thing.
    Its noisy and depending on what machine it is, you cant always have eaphones. Just depends.
    Dont sweat it, just go do it and follow instructions.
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTIcrazy View Post
    I had a shoulder problem for a while and did the MRI thing. It's good to know what is up in there if you've had pain for a while. I take it cortisone injections didn't help?

I think there are two types of MRI machines. The older ones are like a tube that you are slid into. You wear headphones so that the tech can talk to you and so you can listen to music while the machine is working. The machine is only a few inches above your face, so if you're claustrophobic see if you can get referred to a place with one of the newer machines that is open. You do a series of scans that take a few minutes each and you have to stay still during each one. The machine makes this knocking sound while it is working, then you take a break and move on to the next scan. It's not so bad and your orthopedic surgeon can then tell if it is just tendonitis, a tear, or whatever. It's worth the hour of time. Good luck!
    No shots just yet. I only had "consultations" approved with the Orthos each time I went, so they weren't able to prescribe any treatment unfortunately. My GPs have only been able to prescribe PT and the pills. Damn Workers Comp injuries! *Shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by audiracer2002 View Post
    It's noisy. I only had to stick my leg in but to do an MRI of my ankle was about 20-25 minutes. Oh, did I mention its noisy?
    Let me get this straight...it's not loud?

Quote Originally Posted by Monster8V View Post
    Ok kidding aside. Its much to do over nothing.
    More than anything, its boring. You have to stay -still- for a certain amount of time or they redo the entire thing.
    Its noisy and depending on what machine it is, you cant always have eaphones. Just depends.
    Dont sweat it, just go do it and follow instructions.
    Mmkay. Hopefully it's as easy as you're making it out to be.
    Ladies love VAG, too!

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

MRI's are no biggie. Just like the others said, don't move. As a female, prepare to Not wear any barrets or clips or anything in your hair, prepare to take off your bra, and bring socks with no metal! My feet get cold! I've always been somewhhat strapped in and never have been able to bring music, but they do give me ear plugs. Because its a lot of wierd LOUD noises! beeepbeeepbeeep...dddttt...ddddttt...dddtttt.....e eeerrrkkkkkkaaaacchhhhhhkkkkk....ddddtttt....ddddt tttt.....bbbbeeeppppbeeepppp....eeeerrrkkkkkkaaack kkk....
    Junior~2014 Golf TDI
    Louis~1985 B!tchBasket

GoGo~2001 IndiGoGolf (sold!)
    Life is like a garden, DIG IT!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VWaGoGo View Post
    MRI's are no biggie. Just like the others said, don't move. As a female, prepare to Not wear any barrets or clips or anything in your hair, prepare to take off your bra, and bring socks with no metal! My feet get cold! I've always been somewhhat strapped in and never have been able to bring music, but they do give me ear plugs. Because its a lot of wierd LOUD noises! beeepbeeepbeeep...dddttt...ddddttt...dddtttt.....e eeerrrkkkkkkaaaacchhhhhhkkkkk....ddddtttt....ddddt tttt.....bbbbeeeppppbeeepppp....eeeerrrkkkkkkaaack kkk....
    Socks with no metal? Haha ok. I was prepared to wear non-metallic clothes, earrings, no bobby pins (akk!) and no bra during the scan but I'll remember to bring socks. My feet get cold pretty easily, especially at the Dr.
    Ladies love VAG, too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anitx View Post
    Mmkay. Hopefully it's as easy as you're making it out to be.
    I had one for my back a few years ago. They made it sound like it was worse but I guess some people who are claustrophobic have issues with it. For me it was just boring and I stressed that I was going to move and have to do it all again.
    Shawn Meze
    Thomas Jefferson

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

I had an open MRI a few years back. The machine gets really close to your face and body but that's about the worst of it. Sitting and waiting in a certain position can kill ya. Make sure you have enough support to keep yourself in place so you don't have to use energy.

Forum Lurker Moderator SYNYSTAGLI's Avatar
    Thanks

headphones are worthless....shit is loud!
    DCI-VW
    NEED PARTS?
    www.purems.com