Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Re: E30 head swap question

Awesome thanks another thing can I still use my eta transmission I'm not sure if this matters and also what is the best diff for this setup i currently have a 2.93

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

i heard the 4.10 is better but i am Mike might be able to correct me if im wrong
    “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”
    - George Bernard Shaw

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

I would find a 3.73S diff off a 325iS, best all around diff if you ask me. Especially if you ever decide to boost it. 4.10S is good if you are staying N/A but gives you very short gears but is good for torque.

Why are you doing the head swap? Personally when I had my 3 E30s, I was finding M20B25 motors from "I" models at Junkyards for ~$300. I believe my Super Eta motor was like ~$350. Might be cheaper to find an I motor, I ECU and go from there.
    R56 Mini Cooper S - 220WHP/245WTQ - RMW Tuned

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

I considered that but I don't know which route would be easier on me and my wallet I already have this car and the engine hasnt really been abused this is also my daily driver so I can't be carless too long.
    I believe the swap should give me what I am looking for which is more hp and low end torque and if I ever decide to boost it's all good but I'm open to what you guys think I might be over my head on this also I live in the valley and the wrecking yards around here are raped! good parts are hard to find since I'm new at this

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Massakista77 View Post
    I considered that but I don't know which route would be easier on me and my wallet I already have this car and the engine hasnt really been abused this is also my daily driver so I can't be carless too long.
    I believe the swap should give me what I am looking for which is more hp and low end torque and if I ever decide to boost it's all good but I'm open to what you guys think I might be over my head on this also I live in the valley and the wrecking yards around here are raped! good parts are hard to find since I'm new at this
    Well, I can birth a motor out of an E30 in about 1.5HRs they are very easy to work with. I am more than happy to help. I would try car-part.com and search for the motor you are looking for.. it will tell you which JYs have them and how much. Its a great tool to have.

But if you have any questions feel free to ask. I know the E bottom end and I top end dont mate perfectly, hence the use of the super eta block.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Thins helps alot i highly appreciate it if I can get my hands on a m20b25 for about 300 I would get it in a heartbeat considering it's in good shape I'd love all the help I can get honestly I don't come across to many people out here familiar with the e30 so this is awesome can anyone let me know if you come across any b25 I hate the valley for parts

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Yeah I have a bit of experience on them. I have been a part of building a few that are now in the 400-500whp ranges.

Feel free to pm any concerns you have. Also R3vlimited and e30tech are great resources. Cali is one of the best places to find E30s and parts next to the east coast.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Great thanks again
    Forgive my ignorance but what is pm
    I'm sure I'm just not being exposed to the good side of this i honestly want to have this project finished by next year so I'll definitely look into it and will be posting more about the build with pics soon I hope

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Private message.

That way I can give you my contact info and stuff if you need any help. I also am very good at finding parts for cheap.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

My car is actually up for trade on la craigslist if anyone wants to see its titled 86 e30 custom interior low miles in Winnetka thanks again.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

post the link to it? I might want another e30 project or a DD.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

You can also email me to exchange info

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Let me know what you guys think

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

I like your E30, I personally try to keep my E30 purchases around ~1500-~2000. I also would like to find a clean 87-91.. preferably 89-91 (plastic bumpers).

A 1990 325iS would be my dream.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

No worries I'm actually at the point where I'm too attached now to sell it for dirt I put to much time sweat and money already on this to sell I want a trade for a newer e30 maybe theres someone out there interested. Thanks to all for the help I highly appreciate the feedback. my e30 will be one of a kind someday for now it's a dreamer.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

trans wont matter, the only difference between eta and 'i' trans are the output flange/linkage setup. all that's behind the motor, so don't worry about it. unless you have a hoist readily at your disposal, swapping the whole motor is going to me a much bigger pain in the ass than just the top end/electronics. yes, motors can be had for cheap....we 'built' a refreshed supereta stroker at the junkyard for $140 on half off. yanked the seta block, threw on a rebuilt 885 head, and whammo. even came with accessories. still, we only did it because my buddy's car had a spun bearing and it was necessary.

a full motor swap isn't hard...assuming you have the tools and patience. but not a job for the faint of heart.

as for the rear ends, i've driven manuals with 4.10 and 3.73s. personally, i feel like the 3.73 is even too short...but i drive my car a lot. seeing how the only readily bolt-up options are 4.10, 3.73, 2.93, and 2.79, i'd still probably pick a 3.73.

for the record, i think the rev limited top speed of an eta with a 4.10 is 93mph. HA.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

also, the eta block with an 'i' head DOES mate up fine - the physical blocks are identical. lots of guys use that combo for boost.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Thanks im glad the trans doesnt matter and as you said unless I had a hoist ready it won't be easy I heard the s.eta block is much better but what does that mean am I gonna have problems with the regular eta block(86'). I'm not really thinking on boosting just looking for more power sometimes it feels like I have to race my engine just to keep up with cars nowadays
    So far to my knowledge all I need for this swap is;
    Entire wiring harness
    I dme
    Complete I tb and Afm
    Intake manifold
    7k cluster
    Head(obviously)
    I might be missing some other things but not really sure if so any help is great

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

The seta pistons make for a higher compression 2.7i vs the base eta. either way, getting 6,5k redline and a shorter rear end will make the car infinitely more fun.

For the record, driving tandem sd-la, my buddy's seta with 885/173 got 2mpg (29.7) better than me. That thing also had torque where mine didn't.

Don't forget fuel rail and coil/wires. Think of it like this: you basically need to turn everything into an 'i' except the block (and cooling system optional)