Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Alright all you gun nuts . . . recommend a 9mm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks

Alright all you gun nuts . . . recommend a 9mm

And before you 45'ers rant off "I only want to shoot once" blah blah blah . . . I'm looking for something to take to the range, medium to small grip, accurate, not too bulky, rail . . .

My current leading ladies are (in order of interest):

Sig MK25
    Sig P226
    S&W MP Pro
    CZ 75
    Glock 17 (Although, I'm not a big fan of the top heavy frame)
    Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -- Ronald Reagan January 1995

Secret To Seeing What Forum Supporters See?? >>Click Here<<

http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/attac...achmentid=3373

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Yeah bite me Administrator
    Images
    Thanks

Re: Alright all you gun nuts . . . recommend a 9mm

Do you have small hands? If not why do you want a small/medium sized frame? What is the purpose of the pistol? Just to plink or plan to shoot competitions in the future, home defense, etc?

226 grip is not small, it's medium-large imo. I have one, love it and is my primary go-to range pistol and was my competition pistol for IDPA when I was shooting it.

Images
    Thanks

Med to small for the wifey . . . although the more I think about it, maybe I shouldn't revolve my decision around her grip . . .
    Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem.

Images
    Thanks

I like my Ruger SR9
    Represent:
    Parts4vws.com
    DarkKastleMotorsports.com
    VeeParts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bierbau For This Useful Post:

TOYr32 (07-12-2013)

I Race Anything! Moderator Monster8V's Avatar
    Thanks

If the P226 is good enough for the Seals, its good enough for you and your little boy hands.
    Make a trip to your local gun range and test shoot em. Guns are like cars, you gotta test drive them before you buy them.
    I bought my Glock 22 and then shot my sisters Baretta and man, what a sweet gun. PX4 Storm in 9mm. I really liked the 92 FS too. Both come in compact packages.
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Monster8V For This Useful Post:

TOYr32 (07-12-2013)

Images
    Thanks

So yesterday I shot an Mk25 . . . which is essentially a 226, and I liked itbut, I guess I do have girly hands because I felt a little cautious about how much grip I felt I was missing. It could also be that I haven't really shot handguns in a while. But, the rangemaster had a 229 elite . . . I'm pretty sure I'm sold. It's about a 1/2" shorter than the 226. Has Sig's SRT which I really liked, and also has a short reach grip and beavertail. I'm not a fan of the beavertail, but the grip was excellent, and I felt was more comfortable shooting it than the 226. They both are mechanically amazing, and their components are pretty much on the same level.

So here is my next question. How do I find a specific weapon? In my only experience, the shop had what I was looking for, but so far, none of them have the 229. I ask because, I'm interested in the 226 TacOps also. It has a similar grip to the 229, but I did feel the sights on the MK25 helped me get on target faster.

Devil's Advocate Moderator paultakeda's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not a gun nut, but every once in awhile I start thinking of a Garand, because I have a romantic fascination with that rifle.

So let's use that as a base for my opinion, which is going to stray from the 9mm.

I would go for a .22LR revolver. It is cheap and the kick back is minimal, so accuracy isn't as compromised on subsequent shots. The former makes range shooting affordable and the latter lets it be an effective home defense tool for novices. Stopping power is an interesting concept; I think in the majority of scenarios this caliber will suffice. It being a gun already carries a major show of force in most situations; it being more accurate in the hands of a novice makes it capable of delivering on that force.

My preference for a revolver is the quirk preference but there is reason behind it: a revolver is easier to maintain, safer to handle, and a jam is a point event that is easily resolved by pulling the trigger a second time. For home defense, having an easy to use, simple to operate weapon is ideal; and eight shots is a sufficient capacity.

That all said, I guess that means I'd be looking at the small and light S&W 43C. It'd be fun to cock the trigger but I'd rather have something that won't snag.
    Once: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle
    Then: 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX (AWV 02J LG5T 08H/ZD)
    Now : 2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club (NC MZR.LF-VE 6AT PRHT 34K)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paultakeda For This Useful Post:

TOYr32 (07-12-2013)

Images
    Thanks

Funny you mention the .22LR . . . when checking out some of the features of the Sigs, they offer .22LR replacements, so I could essentially have 2 guns for the price of 1.5. I'd like to get the .22LR for when my kids are old enough to start shooting.

I think you're correct in your observations, but not in real world application. Although you're right, a show of force goes a long way, have you ever shot a living creature with a 22? I've shot anything from deer, to rabbit. And I've seen both run away after being shot, while some have not. So in the balance of him or me, I'd rather add some more weight to my end of the scale. I'd hate to be on the wrong end thinking I should have spent the extra $200 on a 9mm instead of bargaining for the .22.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOYr32 View Post
    I think you're correct in your observations, but not in real world application. Although you're right, a show of force goes a long way, have you ever shot a living creature with a 22? I've shot anything from deer, to rabbit. And I've seen both run away after being shot, while some have not. So in the balance of him or me, I'd rather add some more weight to my end of the scale. I'd hate to be on the wrong end thinking I should have spent the extra $200 on a 9mm instead of bargaining for the .22.
    Does a .22 have the ability to stop someone rushing you? No. But then again, neither does a 9mm. So between 9mm and .22, I see no real effective difference; you have to be accurate with both and the .22 is more accurate after the first round. Unlike a deer or rabbit, your target is much closer. You will hit more often with those two factors alone.

But you know, let's just watch a video where a can of SPAM is shot by both and see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLblbXfzhFc

If I wanted weight, I'd pick up my wooden boken and start swinging.

Anyway, I was just told that I should also look at the Ruger LCR .22LR.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paultakeda For This Useful Post:

SYNYSTAGLI (07-15-2013), TOYr32 (07-12-2013)

Images
    Thanks

Glocks, 1911s, SIG classic (226, ETC) all have available .22lr conversion slide/barrels/magazines available. That way you can be comfortable shooting the same platform with cheaper 22lr ammo.

Stopping power in handgun cartridges (outside of stupid calibers like 460 casull/500S&W) is an often confused subject. They generally fail to have the shock impact required to"stop" someone dead in their tracks unless you get a hit on the central nervous system. That said with handgun calibers I strongly believe (based on reading more studies than I care for) that you should buy the largest caliber you can shoot effectively quickly and to train frequently with it if you ever intend to use it in self defense.

Spine/Head... Someone doped up on meth isn't going to stop coming at you if you simply shoot them in the stomach if they're really out of it. Make up for it with quick and well placed shots.

Thanks

And that's the key part. If this is a gun to be shared with the wife, or if this were a gun for me, a person who does not plan to make it a regular habit of visiting the range but may want the option as part of home defense, a .22LR is a better bet. The difference in damage versus the skill required just puts the .22 caliber in a sweet spot. That's also why I side with a revolver: it's simpler and safer than a semi-auto; the rate of fire benefit doesn't trump these factors for me.

Images
    Thanks

To me that's like saying people who don't track their car should never have more than 90hp. Even basic training with once a quarter trips to the range to enforce trigger discipline, sight picture and controls imo is better than a simple .22lr. sure the .22lr is plenty lethal but I'd much rather have my girlfriend be comfortable with a 9.

Ideally take a class on handgun self-defense with your significant other. Then if you are so inclined, take up IDPA. You'll learn shooting fast/on-target and reloading better in that discipline than simply going to the range to plink at paper. That and it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Images
    Thanks

It's definitely a compelling argument that I'd never thought about. I liked the spam experiment. The 9 clearly did a lot more damage, but the 22 was no slouch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    To me that's like saying people who don't track their car should never have more than 90hp. Even basic training with once a quarter trips to the range to enforce trigger discipline, sight picture and controls imo is better than a simple .22lr. sure the .22lr is plenty lethal but I'd much rather have my girlfriend be comfortable with a 9.
    I don't know if I buy this analogy, but even so, there are plenty of 90 HP cars that work just fine on the track and on the streets. You go with what you want. For those of us who don't plan on making the gun a hobby but want something for defense, the .22LR is a solid choice inasmuch as a Fiat 500 is a nice little street and track car.

Thanks

I'm personally debating between a 226 .40cal or a 1911 although I have hundreds of hours with a 226, I will decide once I have had a chance for my wife to fire both and then go from there but a .40 is something my wife can fire without knocking her shoulders out of place.

Jesse

I Race Anything! Moderator Monster8V's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay another opinion thread. well at least its not a FS thread!! That said, best bet is to go to a gun range, take the wife with you and attend the safety course together. Find out what SHE is comfortable using. then form a game plan from there.

I should have done it that way. I bought my .40 and the wife a .380 only to find out that she hated it and wanted my .40......
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Images
    Thanks

This is an independent collection of statistics related to firearm calibers. The turn off on .22lr specifically is the low incapacitation % relative to other calibers.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power

Thanks

Nice article. That actually convinces me a .22 is sufficient. The article is concerned with dealing with the % that won't give up after being shot once, since all calibers are pretty equal (and the .22 actually somewhat leads). If this happens, I have 7 more bullets and as a .22 is an easier caliber to shoot accurately for someone who doesn't shoot regularly I can assure myself of a better hit ratio.

The author states the same: any caliber will be fine, just be accurate. For a person who learns to use and maintain but does not shoot for fun, the .22 is great. And if you start to like shooting, the .22 is a good base to begin.

SoCalEuro Member
    Thanks

I get the .22 argument, but personally i still don't think i would feel effective shooting a .22 in defense. It is way more accurate with much more accurate follow up shots, can't argue that. But with the size and velocity, and the wonderful stress I'm sure comes with shooting at someone in defense, i would rather have a little more effect from a glancing blow then a .22 would deliver. I used to argue all the time with my friends about 9mm vs 40cal in home defense. based on the few articles i have read and me and my girlfriends experience with shooting(albeit limited), 9mm is very easy to learn to shoot for almost anyone and with high-quality self defense rounds will transfer much more inertia to the recipient then a .22 (I've read studies where 9mm fragmenting rounds were producing as much "stopping power" as 40cal hollow points) And even though the 9mm cant achieve the accuracy at 50 or 100 yards of a .22, in defense your dealing in the 5-15 range. Thats my two cents, I'll be buying a 9mm, cheap rounds for play and a couple clips of the expensive stuff to keep at home. Whatever you decide, i hope you enjoy it

quick edit PS: i was looking at the numbers from the study that was posted earlier. i was surprised that the .22 had better %'s in almost every category then for example 9mm. i think a little more weight needs to be put in the "% of people not incapacitated" category. the .22 had more then twice that of the 9mm, and the 9mm was one 4% more then rifles, and 1% more then a shotgun. Thats a huge point to me. if a third of the people shot by a .22 didnt even stop, the fact that 1.3 rounds was the average amount to stop them kinda becomes moot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by immaturegojo View Post
    quick edit PS: i was looking at the numbers from the study that was posted earlier. i was surprised that the .22 had better %'s in almost every category then for example 9mm. i think a little more weight needs to be put in the "% of people not incapacitated" category. the .22 had more then twice that of the 9mm, and the 9mm was one 4% more then rifles, and 1% more then a shotgun. Thats a huge point to me. if a third of the people shot by a .22 didnt even stop, the fact that 1.3 rounds was the average amount to stop them kinda becomes moot.
    It depends on how you view the report. If your concern is stopping power, as in, physically incapacitate on the first shot, while the larger calibers perform better, the author still states that "caliber is not important" because "[a]ll handguns suck! [i]f you want to stop someone, use a rifle or shotgun!"

The statistics also state that all handguns (and probably all firearms) perform equally in stopping an attacker on the first shot. This stop includes psychological and physical stops, though for handguns it is primarily psychological; and that, to me, is ideal. I do not want to physically incapacitate unless I have to as a physical stop pretty much means there's a chance you'll end up killing someone. I will defend myself, but I would prefer not to kill to do it.

In other words, arguing about caliber and physical stopping power for a handgun is an academic exercise, so choosing one should depend more on other factors than physical stopping power.