Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Porsche 944, do tell.
    Thanks

Porsche 944, do tell.

G'evening. Kind of a lurker here, but trying to get more into the euro car scene out here. To start..well I am in need of a daily driver. On the list of possible cars, is the Porsche 944. Now I know Porsche is the "reliable super car" or something like that, Sports car that can be driven daily, etc. I have come across a couple 944's that a company called Comeau Racing rebuilt. I shot them an e-mail in hopes to take a look at learn me some 944 knowledge. Beforehand, I would like to get some input from here. And if the guy at Comeau is on here, then bonus!

First off, are they worth dailying?
    This will be my primary car to drive to work and wherever, in the traffic, highways, city roads, mountains roads etc. I have done some research, the various models of the 944, 8v, 16v, turbo, all that fun stuff. I'm a little hesitant when it comes to turbo, more so the reliability of them, and 16v's cause of exploding heads. (timing belt failures and such) All my tools and such are still at home in Colorado, so I can't really start with a problem car.

Secondly, what are some known common issues with the 944, with all models, the 8v, 16v, turbo. What should I keep my eye out for (minus the obvious stuff)?

Lastly, is there another Porsche option other than the 944 for a good daily? I drove a 928 back home for about a week, and loved every aspect except it drank fuel like it was a :insert witty comparison here:.

(I'm not looking specifically for a Porsche to daily, but I have always wanted one)

Thanks for the assistance!

-Kenneth

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks

Re: Porsche 944, do tell.

I made the mistake of thinking I could afford a 944 when I was 18. Because I could afford to buy the car, that means I could afford the car, right?

WRONG.

$2500 clutch job.
    $1500 head gasket job.
    Every piddly little thing that broke in the interior cost at least $150 to replace or fix. I'd say it nickel & dimed me to death, but it was more like it benjamin'd me to death.

The car may only cost $2500 now, but the parts are still priced for a $45,000 car. It ain't cheap to keep it nice.

Now, on the flip side of things, that car drove as smooth as butter and handled wonderfully. When it worked, and wasn't leaking some fluid, it was a dream to drive. And I have always been rather particular to the looks. Loved driving it. Would never attempt to have one as a daily driver again without spending an ungodly amount of money on a full mechanical restoration first.

FWIW, I drove an 86 with the updated interior, black on black leather. Boring 8V base model motor with a 5 speed. Nothing fancy like the 944S or S2 or the 951.
    Supposedly the "reliable" one compared to the others.

Were I to do it again, I'd save up and get a 968 that had been taken care of, for the beefy 3.0L motor and six speed manual. At least having 243hp of naturally aspirated power delivery in that frame would make the expense worth the experience, compared to the paltry 168hp mine had.
    Brendan Prout
    2004 R32 122k miles, 1993 VR6 Corrado 186k miles, 1990 Corrado 304k miles - RIP 2/12/11, 1973 Fiat Spider 122k miles

Thanks

Interesting. Thank you for the input. That is what made me so nervous about buying the car. Is yeah it's under $5k, but the repairs are insane. May have to leave it as a 'someday in the future weekend fun car.'

SoCalEuro Member Forum Supporter
    Thanks

what do you drive now?
    Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
    mexico is not even in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1965truckrod View Post
    That's because us MK IV's are special... you know like George special... you know the one who kept a dead mouse in his pocket kind of special :)
    http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...R32/catsig.gif

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshblues21 View Post
    what do you drive now?
    I have an 87' Scirocco sitting at home in Colorado. Just swapped a 2.0 16v into it with some fun stuff in it. Like megasquirt...which CA doesn't seem to like...So I'm looking for a...legal... daily driver.

Here is my baby

Thanks

nice! i used to have a 87 TR Scirocco 16v, had an ABA block and such, and crashed it... my B5 passat had Kalifornia un-friendly mods... then i bought an .:R32.

what's you rough budget for a DD?
    That's because us MK IV's are special... you know like George special... you know the one who kept a dead mouse in his pocket kind of special :)

Thanks

I'm looking at about $5000. Maybe a bit more if something nice lands on my lap.
    I'm also looking at older cars. More so cause I like everything with a mechanical feel. And easier to work on in my experience.

Thanks

yeah i would probably go with a mk3 vr6 or a clean mk2 16v

Here's something, although a little work http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...779426435.html

Thanks

Mk3 VR6 GTI would get my vote for fun factor, reliable, and inexpensive to upkeep. For $5k you're also right at the bottom end of the Mk4 VR6 GTI's as well.
    Brendan Prout
    2004 R32 122k miles, 1993 VR6 Corrado 186k miles, 1990 Corrado 304k miles - RIP 2/12/11, 1973 Fiat Spider 122k miles

Thanks

man i love 944s! I was also considering buying one too but backed down cuz I thought maintenance wouldve be too much. My buddy picked up a 914 as his daily and man is that car sweet! just get a 944 and drop a reliable engine in it lol. Just weigh all the options before you make a choice.

Thanks

Yeah, that Scirocco would be perfect, but all my tools are still in Colorado, and I live on a ship/barracks with no transportation, unfortunately. So this car preferably has to be here in San Diego.

I rode in a VR MkIII from Denver to Vegas for Wustefest a couple years ago, I really enjoyed it, peppy when you wanted it, comfy when you needed it.

Images
    Thanks

A great resource site on 944's: http://www.clarks-garage.com

My buddy drives one which he tracks/dd's. He rebuilt the motor and did some other stuff to it.

If you come out to our monthly meet up here, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks

I'll have to look for the thread for that monthly, I'd like to get out and actually do something..rather than sit on this damn ship all day, haha.

Images
    Thanks

haha Yeah, get on some dry land!

https://www.facebook.com/ShakesnBrakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRabbit View Post
    just get a 944 and drop a reliable engine in it lol.
    The engine isn't the problem. It's bulletproof. It's every single other thing in the car that breaks. Pop up headlights, A/C, interior switches, transaxle assembly, ignition, you name it. It's the Corrado G60 of the Porsche world.
    Brendan Prout

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g60racer View Post
    It's the Corrado G60 of the Porsche world.
    there you go! you could look for a SLC Corrado... im just putting it on the table, you dont have to eat it.

Thanks

Loved my 2001 Boxster as a daily driver. But parts and labor were outrageously expensive. Miss that damn car... Stupid speed bump, where did you come from while I was going 100+ MPH?!?!
    natelan
    :: 2011 VW GTi, Red, 2-door, manual, sat nav, convenience package, sunroof ::
    :: 2009 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, Black, DSG, sunroof ::