Thread: Atp Turbo Kit??

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks

Atp Turbo Kit??

First off I will start off by saying I am extremely disappointed with the performance of my A4. So I called ATP yesterday and they told me that they can do a GT28RS kit for my car for 24 hundred. "Hardwar Only" They claim 300hp to the wheels with this kit. Does anyone have any recommendations or knowledge of how far I can push the car before I run into reliability issues and start breaking stuff. Basically how much can the 1.8 take. I was going to go with the Neuspeed upgrade but just doesn't seem worth the money and I know I won't be happy with it. I want something more along the line of what the guy with the Blue A4 with 4RINGER on the plate has. Can anyone put me in contact with him so I can get some idea of what to look for and computer programs to run to make this work. Thanks to all who help.
    Oettinger Spoiler, Oettinger Grille, Oettinger Front Bumper, Stratmosphere Diverter Valve, Neuspeed P-Chip, Neuspeed short shifter, Neuspeed Poly Dampner Bushing, Denso Plugs, and K&N Filter

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

vrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom Administrator bugzy's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    CMH has the pelican blue A4 that your referring to.

He had a lot of work done on that car. It'll cost a lot of money to get where he's at. He has his motor fully built up to 2.0L. The turbo itself would almost pay for a ATP kit.

But just to give you some general info to start off with, DRS up in Orange County built the motor. I believe the turbo is from Innovative Turbos up in LA. Full Race did the front mount and some other stuff.

The ATP kit is a decent kit hardware wise, but you the biggest issue with the Audi's is the software. If you cant find the software to run the hardware, it doesnt matter how nice the hardware and turbo you have is.

I know that GIAC informed me of a AWE turbo kit coming out. APR probably has a stage3 coming out. Neuspeed has the Super K04 kit, which apparently has bad software.

I would start off with Private Messaging CMH and ask him what he thinks.
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

Van Wilder: You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks
    I spoke with the Tech rep at ATP and he said that Revo should be able to supply me with the software to make this work. I don't understand why I couldn't piggyback the ECU with say a APEXi or Greddy unit. Are the Audi's that different that I couldn't piggyback and have someone tune it. I just don't want to settle with the 220 that neuspeed claims or 250 that the stage 3 kit is suppose to make when it rolls out. ATP said I can make 300 and be safe with that so that's kinda what I want to shoot for. Just seems odd that no one can tune the CPU to work with it. Do any of the forementioned shops have websites? I would like to talk to some of them to get their imput also. I just don't like the way this car performs.
    Oettinger Spoiler, Oettinger Grille, Oettinger Front Bumper, Stratmosphere Diverter Valve, Neuspeed P-Chip, Neuspeed short shifter, Neuspeed Poly Dampner Bushing, Denso Plugs, and K&N Filter

Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Revo has tuned the ATP kit. Talk to David @ EurocodeTuning.com
    .: GONE 2000 BMW M5 :: Me - 2013 Jetta GLI - 2000 Jetta 1.8t :: Wife- 2009 VW GTI :: Dad - 2002 VW JTI 337 :.
    Gone:: 1999 VW GTI VR6 :: 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t :: 1989 VW GTI 16v :: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon :: 1979 VW Rabbit

Click here to become a Forum supporter. || .: WheelIndustry.com || Buy SoCalEuro decals here ||

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sent them an e-mail and waiting for a response. Hopefully it will be good news.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PERTANO
    I spoke with the Tech rep at ATP and he said that Revo should be able to supply me with the software to make this work. I don't understand why I couldn't piggyback the ECU with say a APEXi or Greddy unit. Are the Audi's that different that I couldn't piggyback and have someone tune it. I just don't want to settle with the 220 that neuspeed claims or 250 that the stage 3 kit is suppose to make when it rolls out. ATP said I can make 300 and be safe with that so that's kinda what I want to shoot for. Just seems odd that no one can tune the CPU to work with it. Do any of the forementioned shops have websites? I would like to talk to some of them to get their imput also. I just don't like the way this car performs.

Must understand that you want 300 hp I am making 400 whp or 500 at the crank on just 20psi. There are no piggy back setups that work correctly with our ecu, since its like speaking english to a girl that speaks german only. If you do go with the ATP turbo setup you better look into buying a FMIC and a new clutch because the tq will kill the stock one.
    It had some power, but has MORE now.......
    Ringer Racing

Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMH
    Must understand that you want 300 hp I am making 400 whp or 500 at the crank on just 20psi. There are no piggy back setups that work correctly with our ecu, since its like speaking english to a girl that speaks german only. If you do go with the ATP turbo setup you better look into buying a FMIC and a new clutch because the tq will kill the stock one.
    Im sure CMH can help you with more technical stuff.

But keep in mind, Mike is a freak, so some of his comments will probably be excessive
    i mean ... come on ... the man's got a turbo the size of my head ....

lil unpractical application for the average driver

no offense mike hahahah

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy
    Im sure CMH can help you with more technical stuff.

But keep in mind, Mike is a freak, so some of his comments will probably be excessive
    i mean ... come on ... the man's got a turbo the size of my head ....

lil unpractical application for the average driver

no offense mike hahahah

None taken Lon, but my car is a daily driver at 400 crank hp on 91 octane.

Ringer Racing

Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I said "average" hahah you aint average yo

Thanks
    Mike is a serious average driver.... GT30.... RACING SEATS.... HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH.....

I Race Anything! Moderator Monster8V's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, and my nuts are holding that bitch together!!
    Shawn Meze
    02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V (Street) 80' Scirocco "S" (Track) 99' F250 (To Tow with)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

I wanna see a dyno plot one of these days Mike, I'd like to know at what RPM you make that 400hp, and also see the torque curve too.
    2009 VW GTI 4dr - Black Magic (sis drives this now)
    2012 VW Golf R 4 dr - Rising Blue (DD)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVeeDubber
    I wanna see a dyno plot one of these days Mike, I'd like to know at what RPM you make that 400hp, and also see the torque curve too.

Well I have been on the dyno twice already but no plot to take home yet, but I will be running on a dynojet soon.
    Ringer Racing

Images
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly4322
    Mike is a serious average driver.... GT30.... RACING SEATS.... HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH.....
    Firefly is John with the white jetta at the 1.8t Challenge

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly4322

Well you have most of that right. Not sure I have ever been called a "average driver" when it comes to drag racing and the turbo is a GT35R which is really a GT35 with a 40R compressor wheel. What I put down on the dyno at the challenge is just the tip of the iceburg since I ran about 20 psi and the turbo is good for 35 psi. Just think I went from 335 whp at 16psi(cold run) to 378 whp at 20psi(hot run).
    Ringer Racing

SoCalEuro n00b
    Thanks
    Mike,
    Thanks for all the imput. I was aware of the need to upgrade to a FMIC as well as the clutch. I am already having clutch problems with the car now. I just wanted to know the breaking point of the stock internals with a proper tune. I want to get the most out of the car, but still want the reliablity. I've seen your A4 that pretty much got me going in the direction that I am now. Now that I've seen the power potential of the 1.8t engine, stock won't work for me. Do you recommend the GT28RS or should I look into the GT30RS and leave room for more power. Thanks again for the help so far, and hopefully everyone can continue to help out.

Save the Boobies!!!!! Moderator Tom's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    You might want to check out the Performance and Tuning Section of Audiworld.com. There's a lot of hardcore 1.8t guys over there, including CMH.

On stock internals, I think the most you can hope for with any degree of reliability is in the neighborhood of 350hp.

As far as piggy back systems go, no one (or hardly no one) does them for our cars. The predominant method of tuning is actually reprogramming the ECU's either by physically replacing a chip on the board or flashing new programming into the ECU via the diagnostics port.

There was a company at the 1.8t that makes a standalone.........were they working on a piggyback as well? They had the red Jetta and this 1.8t powered Formula Atlantic car....